Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think the metallurgy part is covered by DRDO or even any IITs can do the job.

The only place where Metallurgy comes in play is the Gun barrel,bolt, Trigger Mechanism and Gas Piston.
From where OFB procure low quality alloys.

another_armchair

Country flag
I think its not the alloy but machinery and Lax Quality control.
They can't be punished or fired so they aren't bothered to improve it.
Metal and alloys too. Components procurement are outsourced. Many times, material supplied is different from samples shown. Sometimes, they look so good that they simply go to the assembly line after a mere manual inspection.

Once, there was incidence of firing pin breakage and damage witnessed among a big new batch of SLR's shipped from one of the OFBs. Matter was raised but they they put the blame on the unit and cited poor handling.
The unit commanders ACR was on the line so he did some (re)searching and took the firing pins to a local machining unit. The owner said it wasn't of the quality claimed, rolled out 5 new pins and gave it for testing. They worked flawlessly.
Matter was hushed up right there and probably settled.

In CAPFs, suppliers are willing to bribe for 'Lathis'. As country is divided into zones, tenders are floated for a particular zone, say West, East etc and supplies for all units under the said zone are procured through that one tender. Cutlery, mess bartan bhanda... sala nothing is spared.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Yes, what I don't get is why labs like ARDE or even OFB's in-house design teams don't just replicate those designs.

They always try to complicate the process. OF Trichy for example wanted to produce a 7.62x39 rifle and instead of replicating AK design which would have been straightforward approach, they decided to adapt SLR for this calibre!

Later on thankfully they realized their error and decided to just copy AK.

ARDE could have just replicated a modern piston-driven AR-15 through and through but they got cocky and messed with several things like gas system, handguards etc which only made it more unwieldy and less compatible with aftermarket kit. Perhaps the multi-calibre requirement served to complicate the process beyond a necessary level.
Still dont know why they didnt went for copying Vz58 instead of frankensteining SLR or license making bulgarian base model.or making shit looking Ghatak.
I know putting a dual optic on Vz platform is hard but otherwise its way better than Ak in many aspects

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
Our guys definitely don't know how to carry their firearms properly with sling. The sling should remain on at all times. Also, they should be using figure of 8 slings with a quick release - release while firing and closed while carrying hands-free. I can't imagine this sling costs more than 500 rupees at best.

I know this because I was in the British Army for 2 years in officer training. Never, EVER were we allowed to take the weapon off. And I have seen US and some other country troops follow the same regimen.

Pretty sure it can't be a good idea to take it off, sling dangling everywhere. If you get hit you might drop your weapon. You might trip / fall and drop your weapon. There is simply no excuse for this.

Indian Army should have a team that standardizes kit and training and frequently train with armies from around the world to gather the best ideas. Sometimes being in your own cocoon makes you miss things.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Our guys definitely don't know how to carry their firearms properly with sling. The sling should remain on at all times. Also, they should be using figure of 8 slings with a quick release - release while firing and closed while carrying hands-free. I can't imagine this sling costs more than 500 rupees at best.

I know this because I was in the British Army for 2 years in officer training. Never, EVER were we allowed to take the weapon off. And I have seen US and some other country troops follow the same regimen.

Pretty sure it can't be a good idea to take it off, sling dangling everywhere. If you get hit you might drop your weapon. You might trip / fall and drop your weapon. There is simply no excuse for this.

Indian Army should have a team that standardizes kit and training and frequently train with armies from around the world to gather the best ideas. Sometimes being in your own cocoon makes you miss things.
Slings.
So that's the only gripe you have. Ok.

Though this pic is quite old, but it clearly shows how things work here.
Indian-Army-Sniper-Mumbai-Attack.jpg

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
Slings.
So that's the only gripe you have. Ok.

Though this pic is quite old, but it clearly shows how things work here.
View attachment 56748
It's the simplest gripe to fix. But there doesn't seem to be any will, even in the Army itself, to standardise its kit, practices, training, etc.

Indian Army standards have definitely fallen in the last few decades. Need completely rebuild.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles