Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
As discussed plenty of times, the need of SIGs in Indian Army is not 72400 pieces alone. Would have been better if SIG was encouraged to do local production in India through JV.
According to reports #IndianArmy plans to order another 72000 Sig-716G2 Patrol 7.62*51 mm rifles. Previously 72400 of these were ordered.
"...first order of 72,400 delivery done".

Where are all these?.. Anyone ever seen one on the grunts? @Unknowncommando?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Army is going to order another batch of 72000 Sig 716. A repeat order ?

Good for them. Apparently all previously contracted ones have arrived already.

piKacHHu

Country flag
"...first order of 72,400 delivery done".

Where are all these?.. Anyone ever seen one on the grunts? @Unknowncommando?
Well I have my doubts with this statement; may be it's implying that 10000 AR batch supplied earlier which Livefist has reported.

Kudos to SIG if they delivered the whole lot of contracted rifles in a year & half despite Covid situation (Contract signed in Feb, 2019).

Would like to learn about annual production capacity of reputed manufacturer like KC or HK.

JBH22

Army is going to order another batch of 72000 Sig 716. A repeat order ?

Good for them. Apparently all previously contracted ones have arrived already.
At his rate better have Sig opened an Indian branch.
Instead of importing in batches, plus do they have the carbine and LMG version?
Would save on economies of scale. Choose one set of infantry weapons once and for all, given ak203 is more expensive

Flying Dagger

Country flag
At his rate better have Sig opened an Indian branch.
Instead of importing in batches, plus do they have the carbine and LMG version?
Would save on economies of scale. Choose one set of infantry weapons once and for all, given ak203 is more expensive
Do you really think those ordering them have common sense to do that and order all from Sig.

But abt making them in India will mean a deal to go on for years like AK deal .

Better just get what Men on Ground need right now bureaucracy can do its licking and patting job forever.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
And we will raise two new regiments to keep track of the logistics..
All fit well into current logistics setup and ammunition production lines.

7.62 X 51 is current LMG. MMG ammunition and erstwhile SLR ammunition.
7.62 X 39 is current AK ammunition ,,,
5.56 X 45 is current INSAS ammunition...

So with new weapons no change in production lines and logistics holdings is going to e effected...
Why would you raise two new regiments ???

JBH22

Do you really think those ordering them have common sense to do that and order all from Sig.

But abt making them in India will mean a deal to go on for years like AK deal .

Better just get what Men on Ground need right now bureaucracy can do its licking and patting job forever.
Well that's true after all. Expecting rational decision making from me was a bit far fetched🤣🤣
Crazy guys if you think about that we take multiple things that ultimately does not give optimum result. Imagine carbine from UAE, rifle from US, Russia etc.

Any sane person would advocate to go for set of guns ideally having the full set of requirements LMG carbine etc

another_armchair

Country flag
Bit disappointed from this total deal.
With this level of Orders we could have made Sig to invest in india and open a factory here 🙃 😶
The SIG MCX is a pretty good weapon. Maybe with a wink and a nod, they can be cajoled to partner with a local heavyweight and set up a factory here.

Will help in increased sales as Air Force, Navy, Paramilitary and CAPFs decide to go in for better firepower.

Depends on how GoI and MoD take this forward if at all they do.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
With this level of Orders we could have made Sig to invest in india and open a factory here 🙃 😶
Tough chance, Muricans(pentagon) won’t allow profitable military I.P leave murican shores.

Wisemarko

Country flag
There are many companies that would have gladly opened at least an assembly line for such a big order. Australian gun procurement is case and point. But then India is known to make these mistakes. Importing 200,000 plus Bulgarian AKs without a single one being made locally is unbelievable. US would never allow that- Beretta, SIG, HK, they all make their products in US for US forces. The big difference is that foreign companies can have subsidiary in US without local partner.

WARREN SS

Country flag

another_armchair

Country flag
Are all the SiG 716 G2 Patrol we ordered semi-auto or are we sneaking in a few with full auto too just to give some firepower support to the LMGs?

Doubt they will equip everyone with the G2.

So there's definitely room for 7.62x39 and a 5.56x45.

Let's see what we eventually go for.

piKacHHu

Country flag

“The plan is now to manufacture the Arad and Carmel, which are the latest offering from the IWI, in India through the joint venture,” a source in the know of the development said.
Good candidate for carbine procurement. Sig could also offer its MCX line for SBR requirements in IA and special forces.

Well I have my doubts with this statement; may be it's implying that 10000 AR batch supplied earlier which Livefist has reported.

Kudos to SIG if they delivered the whole lot of contracted rifles in a year & half despite Covid situation (Contract signed in Feb, 2019).

Would like to learn about annual production capacity of reputed manufacturer like KC or HK.
'
It is confirmed now that the whole lot of ARs are being delivered.

I like the coverage of ANI, Unlike Livefist, they didn't commit error to put AR version as G2 Patrol. The SIG on offer for Indian Army is 716i Tread.

Are all the SiG 716 G2 Patrol we ordered semi-auto or are we sneaking in a few with full auto too just to give some firepower support to the LMGs?

First of all, the version adopted by IA is 716i Tread which is a DI version in 7.62x51 cal; G2 patrol is short-stroke piston based version.

I don't feel that IA has changed its doctrine of "Ek Goli Ek dushman" with adoption of 716i; because this rifle is not suitable for spray or suppression of fire due to recoil associated with the round it uses.

Of course, not everybody is going to get SIGs, for remaining troops, AK 203 is chosen.

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Hey @Unknowncommando 2 just saw your tweet, are you sure we are getting G2s with TREAD's handguard??

Coz AFAIK we are getting regular SIG 716i TREADs with fun switch and Magpul stock in place of factory.

The gas block in this pic looks more like a traditional direct impingement one than a selectable one of short-stroke piston.
proxj.jpg

Moreover there is this article about 716i's launch in US civilian market.
Screenshot_2020-07-12-20-41-07-19.jpg

Can you please confirm.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Army to place order for 72,000 American assault rifles

Amid the ongoing dispute with China over boundary issue, the Indian Army is going to place another order of 72,000 Sig 716 assault rifles from the United States.

The order for the second batch of the assault rifles would be coming after the first lot of 72,000 rifles, has already been delivered to the Army for use by troops in Northern Command and other operational areas.

"We are going to place an order for 72,000 more of these rifles under the financial powers granted to the armed forces," Defence sources told ANI.

The Indian Army had received the first lot of Sig Sauer assault rifles to boost its counter-terrorism operations.

India had acquired the rifles under the fast-track procurement (FTP) programme.

The new rifles will replace the existing Indian Small Arms System (Insas) 5.56x45mm rifles used by the forces and manufactured locally by the Ordnance Factories Board.

As per the plan, around 1.5 lakh imported rifles were to be used by the troops in the counter-terrorism operations and frontline duties on the Line of Control (LoC), the remaining forces would be provided with the AK-203 rifles, which are to be produced jointly by India and Russia at Amethi ordnance factory.

The work on the project is yet to start due to several procedural issues faced by the two sides.

The Indian Army had been trying to replace their standard INSAS assault rifles for many years but the attempts failed due to one reason or the other.

Recently, the Defence Ministry placed an order of 16,000 light machine guns (LMGs) from Israel to do away with the shortage of these guns.

India and China are in a stand-off position in Eastern Ladakh as the Chinese Army has deployed more than 20,000 of its troops there without any provocation since May first week.

Though there has been disengagement on the front, the Chinese have still maintained heavy troops presence in the rear areas.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Note the position of the Safety on the below image.

This shows the Sig 716i in Full Auto configuration.

Tender was also for 7.62x51 mm automatic rifle.

The US arm-maker SIG Sauer's SiG 716 finished with the 'L1' or lowest quote for the army's fast track procurement of 72,000 new automatic rifles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...equip-indian-army-soldiers-1352324-2018-09-29

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles