Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Optics can be sourced from Tonbo at cheaper prices compared to imported ones.
Army issued RFI for weapon mounted thermal sights (56,000) for 7.62x51 mm aka Sig 716i TREAD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hind...-rifles/story-QR42kFxCopLzxvMz68nNuI_amp.html

There is another RFI for 12,000 telescopic sights for the Sig 716i TREAD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...0-telescopic-sights-for-assault-rifles/422566

56000 + 12000 = 68000 ~ 66000+ Sig 716i rifles in army's quota.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Import of a DI Rifle in 7.62x51 caliber only makes Sense if we use it as DMR. For using as a DMR we need:-

Bipod
Daytime optics like ECOG
Night time optics with thermal imagers, or II NVDs
Supersonic Suppressors
High Quality accurate ammo (which is not a walk in the park)
Magazines, as they are different from our FN FAL
Picatinny Rails, adapters (if required)
Range of special lubricants for cold & desert climates
Rifle protection packaging for field deployments

Maintenance of DI rifle on frontline is a whole different ball game. Wonder How troops will like it?

US DI DMR SR25 failed in service. Hence India is the first nation in the world importing such huge amount of 7.62 caliber DI Rifle. USA Itself went for short stroke piston operated DMR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK417?wprov=sfla1

Further no TOT, No local manufacture and no offsets.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Import of a DI Rifle in 7.62x51 caliber only makes Sense if we use it as DMR. For using as a DMR we need:-

Bipod
Daytime optics like ECOG
Night time optics with thermal imagers
Supersonic Suppressors

Maintenance of DI rifle on frontline is a whole different ball game. Wonder How troops will like it?

US DI DMR SR25 failed in service. Hence India is the first nation in the world importing such huge amount of 7.62 caliber DI Rifle.

Further no TOT, No local manufacture and no offsets.
DI guns have better accuracy and lower weight. The main concern was carrier group misalignment due to external piston arrangement, high recoil during automatic fire and cost concerns.The army wanted a 7.62x51mm having moderate recoil during automatic fire.

This rifle has a mid length gas system to burn more propellant before it enters chamber and bolt carrier moves slower to preserve life. The gun barrel is made of steel which is softer and thus more flexible which allows for harmonics of bullet. This makes gun more accurate.

The barrel is coated with nitride which is excellent for anti corrosion effect. The free floating rail allows for more accuracy in conjunction with the microlight gas block.

Pakis after testing SSP AR 10 decided to make DI AR 10 as next battle rifle because other than increased reliability, SSP doesn't add to improved environmental performance unlike the SCAR-H or Galil ACE or AKM.

https://quwa.org/2019/10/31/pakistan-ordnance-factories-reveals-new-pk18-and-pk21-assault-rifles/

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/07/16/general-staff-requirement-gsr-new-assault-rifle/

Conclusion : AR 10 style Sig 716I was selected for accurate and low recoil 7.62x51 automatic fire.
.........................................................................................................

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Army issued RFI for weapon mounted thermal sights (56,000) for 7.62x51 mm aka Sig 716i TREAD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hind...-rifles/story-QR42kFxCopLzxvMz68nNuI_amp.html

There is another RFI for 12,000 telescopic sights for the Sig 716i TREAD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...0-telescopic-sights-for-assault-rifles/422566

56000 + 12000 = 68000 ~ 66000+ Sig 716i rifles in army's quota.
This are important items but Army will find it difficult to process the purchase quickly. It's only at RFI stage, not even RFP.

I think these contracts should also be issued under emergency purchase head.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The 56,000 one is being completed by Tonbo. The 12,000 one is probably Tonbo as well but not sure.
I think its very unlikely that TONBO got an order for 56,000 NVDs. But it's good, if that's the case. Can you give source or link of your information?

I thought that this order for 56,000 + 12,000 was not even awarded but I will be glad to be proved wrong

vampyrbladez

Country flag
I think its very unlikely that TONBO got an order for 56,000 NVDs. But it's good, if that's the case. Can you give source or link of your information?

I thought that this order for 56,000 + 12,000 was not even awarded but I will be glad to be proved wrong
The Arjun TTI sight is perfect for the 7.62x51 Sig 716i TREAD and Indian Paramilitary and Police used it on the Colt CM901, another 7.62x51 mm Battle Rifle.

The attached tweet shows TONBO bragging about 'a large volume order' of Arjun TTI sights.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Tonbo has been getting small adhoc orders from Army no major institutional order has been given to them. The video in tweet shows around 150-200 thermal imagers only.
Equipment can always be sent in batches. Even the Sigs came in batches of 10,000.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
DI guns have better accuracy and lower weight. The main concern was carrier group misalignment due to external piston arrangement, high recoil during automatic fire and cost concerns.The army wanted a 7.62x51mm having moderate recoil during automatic fire.

This rifle has a mid length gas system to burn more propellant before it enters chamber and bolt carrier moves slower to preserve life. The gun barrel is made of steel which is softer and thus more flexible which allows for harmonics of bullet. This makes gun more accurate.

The barrel is coated with nitride which is excellent for anti corrosion effect. The free floating rail allows for more accuracy in conjunction with the microlight gas block.

Pakis after testing SSP AR 10 decided to make DI AR 10 as next battle rifle because other than increased reliability, SSP doesn't add to improved environmental performance unlike the SCAR-H or Galil ACE or AKM.

https://quwa.org/2019/10/31/pakistan-ordnance-factories-reveals-new-pk18-and-pk21-assault-rifles/

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/07/16/general-staff-requirement-gsr-new-assault-rifle/

Conclusion : AR 10 style Sig 716I was selected for accurate and low recoil 7.62x51 automatic fire.
Sig 716i being used in full auto mode. Note the 3'0 clock position of the safety selector.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Aliens in Mars will be shot down if used in full auto due to vertical recoil
Well it has lower recoil than your SLR or an AK. This is for blasting fools who trying to dance with you in CQB. The butt-stock based buffer tube and DI helps absorb the recoil.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Well it has lower recoil than your SLR or an AK. This is for blasting fools who trying to dance with you in CQB. The butt-stock based buffer tube and DI helps absorb the recoil.
Lower than SLR, but lower than Ak is highly optimistic.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
The Arjun TTI sight is perfect for the 7.62x51 Sig 716i TREAD and Indian Paramilitary and Police used it on the Colt CM901, another 7.62x51 mm Battle Rifle.

The attached tweet shows TONBO bragging about 'a large volume order' of Arjun TTI sights.
Shout out to Tonbo. Kickass job for a startup , with phenomenal products

abingdonboy

Country flag
Optics will be cross-compatible, the 12'o clock interface on the SIG 716 is a P-rail.

But rest of the stuff like forward grips, flashlights etc. which attach to 3, 6 & 9'o clock rails won't be.

However, we can get a workaround by procuring MLOK-to-Picatinny adapters:

NSG had bought some Keymod-to-Picatinny adapters for their 716 DMRs (older handguards):

It looks like there is a full p-rail at 6 o clock too though on the 716i

so they’ll only need to buy the adapters for 3/9 o clock positions which would be for flashlights ( if laser designators can be mounted on 12 o clock upper rail these days or even integrated in the sights )

So I’m guessing these any flashlights IA procured would have to ship with the adaptors but this has got to be waaaaay down their list of priorities

Import of SIG without bipod, & optics does not make sense.
yeah it could have been a all in one package but then that limits you to buying accessories from the OEM and that complicates the procurement process quite a bit as rarely will the best rifle come from an OEM with the best accessories so you’d end up compromising somewhere and we know there’s no such flexibility ( rightly or wrongly ) in the procurement process.

instead they should have done it the way fighter jets are bought- separate contracts from different OEMs for the aircraft and their weapons.

Buying these rifles without even sights is utterly criminal but totally expected from these clowns in the IA. Don’t expect any resolution to this until the 2030s

Gessler

Country flag
It looks like there is a full p-rail at 6 o clock too though on the 716i
So it does! I just noticed that - no doubt an IA-specific modification considering the original 716 TREAD doesn't have a 6'o clock rail, only M-LOK.

Guess someone's been thoughtful.

Though, objectively speaking, M-LOK is the way to go. It saves weight plus is easier on the shooter to hold.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Does anyone know if the Sig 751 SAPR was on offer ? Being based on the 55x series, which in turn is based on the AK, it might handle abuse better than the AR based 716.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles