Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

abingdonboy

Country flag
https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-...ault-rifles/story-QR42kFxCopLzxvMz68nNuI.html

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR what did I say bro? Clowns in imported army haven’t even taken the FIRST step to getting accessories for their to
Be delivered in a few months new toys.

The 716s delivered shortly will
Be 100% big standard with nothing- not even a fore grip. This when even non-frontline units had already started getting accessories for
Their AKs and INSAS.

Guess in 10 years these “new” toys will get their associated sights.

One step forwards, two back always.

IndiaRising

Country flag
https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-...ault-rifles/story-QR42kFxCopLzxvMz68nNuI.html

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR what did I say bro? Clowns in imported army haven’t even taken the FIRST step to getting accessories for their to

Be 100% big standard with nothing- not even a fore grip. This when even non-frontline units had already started getting accessories for
Their AKs and INSAS.

Does the company supplying The 716s also make the accessories for the weapons or is it a different vendor you have to approach?

uoftotaku

Country flag
So all the whispers of Magpul accessories turns out to be BS...typical. Actually was a good opportunity to do an all-in buy as SiG-Sauer is one of the few gun makers who can realistically offer a complete in-house package for everything including optics

Then again...like abingdongboy points out...one step forward, two back always

Gessler

Country flag

Their AKs and INSAS.

This is only concerning night sights & thermal sights bro, not any other accessories.

SIG doesn't make any night sights in-house anyway (only day sights), and its reasonable to assume at least 1 extra Magpul PMAG and 1 set of Back-up Iron Sights will be procured per rifle.

Stuff like optics & grips are unconfirmed, we'll see soon enough. Within few months in fact, when first batch deliveries commence.

abingdonboy

Country flag
This is only concerning night sights & thermal sights bro, not any other accessories.

SIG doesn't make any night sights in-house anyway (only day sights), and its reasonable to assume at least 1 extra Magpul PMAG and 1 set of Back-up Iron Sights will be procured per rifle.

Stuff like optics & grips are unconfirmed, we'll see soon enough. Within few months in fact, when first batch deliveries commence.
Each soldier will need at least 4 mags.

And I wouldn’t hold my breath in anything , expecting bog standard stripped down rifles when they do come.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
No other words for this but PATHETIC and SHAMEFUL.

People love to run down PSUs but with actual support they can still perform, HAL has made some excellent helicopters, ICF has made T18 etc etc
AFAIK OFB isn't even a PSU. PSUs are corporatized and have some professionalism. OFB is just a (highly incompetent) org under the government.

sthf

Country flag
You don't need the most accurate rifle. You need a good enough rifle. If Lee-Enfield could fulfill that role as DMR there is no need to change it.
A bolt action DMR with 5 MOA accuracy!!! That is everything a DMR shouldn't be. This isn't the 1940s nor is Indian Army a tribal lashkar from FATA.

sthf

Country flag
Sirji with due respect, please don't compare a mobile phone with weapon.
A tank if brought from a foreign country can be stopped on it's tracks just on one order from that country higher ups(and the heck they care about terms and conditions, when things will not go their way) and can cause irreplaceable damage to the buyer country, if you want an example look at pakistan in second indo-pak war.
Indigenous weapon development is necessary even the higher ups in armed forces and government have said if India want to control her destiny.
There is a world of difference between "Indigenous" and "Sarkari".

Medanta, Apollo etc. are "Indigenous" hospitals, the Gorakhpur and Kolkata hospitals where dozens of children died in less than 72 hours are "Sarkari".

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That red one is a downgraded copy of FN FNC by OFB.
Holy fuck you're right it is fnc..... I didn't paid much attention....... But I didn't know ofb makes or made fnc copies....
This one is FN FNC.

OFB's have features from Sig-552... As their 7.62×51 outperformed Galil in comperative trials, i don't expect this to be a bad design.
But the inherent problems of material quality, quality control etc. remains. Unless they can fix that, chomping up with new platforms doesn't mean anything.
upload_2019-2-13_1-54-10.png

vampyrbladez

Country flag
This one is FN FNC.

OFB's have features from Sig-552... As their 7.62×51 outperformed Galil in comperative trials, i don't expect this to be a bad design.
But the inherent problems of material quality, quality control etc. remains. Unless they can fix that, chomping up with new platforms doesn't mean anything.
View attachment 33012
It is not milled steel but stamped aka poor quality. It is based on Excalibur Mk 1 which is automatical INSAS basically again based on FN FNC and gas port/ cyclic mechanism of AK. This is a decent gun for paramilitary but not for army.

mohitbhagat

Country flag
This one is FN FNC.

View attachment 33012
Oh I say just wait for the sigs to arrive and car816 and ak203 go common among the military and the ofb will have no choice to do what it should have done decades ago. Once you get used to good quality rifles you'll never even look at something like ofb products

MuzzleVelocity

The Sig Sauer 716 version that we are buying, it's the G2 Patrol rifle with a full auto mode right? Most places I read online place the rifle as a semi automatic.

uoftotaku

Country flag
The Sig Sauer 716 version that we are buying, it's the G2 Patrol rifle with a full auto mode right? Most places I read online place the rifle as a semi automatic.
You're probably looking at descriptions of the civilian version which is semi auto only by law. The military & police version is fully auto capable

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles