Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Blademaster

My apologies, I understood this as a forum for Indian Military Servicemen of which I have a great deal of respect for, but I was under the impression this was direct Frontline feedback. I apologize for embarrassing myself and being rude. Wrong audience lol. I am not angry I just place a lot of faith in India and what importantance you have in keeping the world a better place. I was merely trying to motivate fellow Soldiers not be rude to the supporting citizens of India. My apologies.
No worries. You are new to this forum. Its a rough and tumble but we are all friends unless you are a secret paki.

OutForVendetta

Country flag
My apologies, I understood this as a forum for Indian Military Servicemen of which I have a great deal of respect for, but I was under the impression this was direct Frontline feedback. I apologize for embarrassing myself and being rude. Wrong audience lol. I am not angry I just place a lot of faith in India and what importantance you have in keeping the world a better place. I was merely trying to motivate fellow Soldiers not be rude to the supporting citizens of India. My apologies.
Lol, it's alright.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
he is pissed because he's an amreeki, and an actual soldier and a forum member here @hammer head had certain criticism over SIG716I, an amreeki product

and he is further ranting because i left two angry 😡 emojis under his last posts where he's now blaming it on our men with arms
For the price we got then vis-a-vis insas 7.62×51, nothing stands until it's too major an issue.

I don't think the SSS Defence etc. 7.62×51 alternatives were available then

WolfPack86

Country flag
Defence Ministry clears 70,000 Sig Sauer assault rifles for Indian Army
In a major boost to the firepower of soldiers, the Indian Army will get 70,000 more Sig Sauer assault rifles which will be given to troops deployed in counterterrorism operations and other duties.

The approval for the procurement was given at a high-level meeting of the Defence Ministry held recently and attended by the top brass of the military, government sources told ANI.

The approval for the Indian Army to buy more than 70,000 of these assault rifles worth over Rs 800 crore has come at a time when the forces are deployed in a military standoff with China and are carrying out extensive counterterrorism operations along the line of control in Jammu and Kashmir against Pakistan-sponsored terrorist activities, they said.

India has already indicted over 70,000 of these American-made assault rifles, which are being used by forces in the Ladakh sector along the China front and also in Kashmir valley.

The plan to buy these rifles was taken by the force initially as it wanted to have a rifle with a longer range.

In February 2019, 72,400 SiG 716 rifles -- 66,400 for the Army, 4,000 for the Air Force and 2,000 for the Navy -- of 7.62 x 51mm calibre were bought from SIG Sauer of the US.

The SiG 716 assault rifle was chosen by the force of several candidates because of its high calibre and extended range.

It is also reportedly more lethal than the INSAS Rifle or the AK-47 and its variants in the service.

The Indian forces are also going to soon get the AK-203 being produced by the joint venture between two companies in the ordnance factory near Amethi.

Indian forces have recently also acquired the Russian AK-103 in significant numbers to bolster their capabilities against terrorists and for conventional operations.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Army to order 70,000 more Sig Assault Rifles | Why no Indian Assault rifle? | हिंदी में

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Army advances Modernization: To Acquire additional 70,000 SiG Sauer Assault Rifles
According to sources in the defence and security establishment, the approval for procuring more assault rifles was given during the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meeting in New Delhi.

As part of its modernisation plan Indian Army is set to procure additional 70,000 American-made SiG Sauer assault rifles (7.62×51 mm calibre). The order which is worth around Rs 840 crore is expected to boost the firepower of the troops deployed along the borders.

According to sources in the defence and security establishment, the approval for procuring more assault rifles was given during the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meeting in New Delhi.

These rifles as reported previously are being bought to replace the INSAS Rifles (5.56 x 45 mm). In 2019, an agreement was inked with the company for around 72,400 Sig Sauer Assault Rifles at a cost of Rs 694 crore and are currently being used by the troops deployed along the borders with China and Pakistan.

Financial Express Online had reported in September 2020 that a deal to procure a second batch of Sig Sauer rifles was approved by the DAC ahead of the 2+2 India – US Ministerial Dialogue. However, the deal at that time could not go through. It is the same pending deal which has been given a go-head signal.

Why the Repeat Order?
Meant for `shoot and kill’ these assault rifles have a longer reach and a better operational ease.

Financial Express Online has reported previously that out of the first order of 72,400 (7.62 x 51mm calibre) SiG Sauer rifles procured – the Indian Army had received 66,400 rifles, Air Force received 4000 and the balance of 2000 the Navy got.

The first order was under the government’s `Buy (Global) category’ which means that an outright purchase can be made of the required equipment from foreign manufacturers. This procurement was through Fast Track Procedure (FTP).

The rifles procured by the Army equipped around 400 infantry battalions and reports in the public domain indicate that two infantry companies which have 100 troops each were given SiG 716.

Why SiG 716?
The decision to opt for the SiG 716 Assault Rifle in 2016 was rooted in a shift in the Indian Army’s operational philosophy, favoring the 7.62 x 51mm caliber for its optimal performance in operations.

Compared to the INSAS Rifle and the AK-47 Rifle, the SiG 716, with its higher caliber, boasts an extended effective range, increased lethality, and higher recoil. Since its induction, the Army has utilized Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) manufactured ammunition with no reported performance issues.

Earlier reports revealed the Army’s shift to locally manufactured 7.62 MMG ammunition due to cost concerns associated with the original American bullets. While defence sources downplay its impact on rifle performance, some on-ground sources cite increased recoil, suggesting a need for better quality ammunition.

The SiG 716 rifles come equipped with picatinny rails, enabling the attachment of various accessories like optical sights, under barrel grenade launchers, forehand grips, bipods, and laser pointers without modifying the weapon.

Highlighting advantages over the INSAS, sources note the SiG 716’s automatic firing mode, similar to the AK-47, in contrast to the INSAS rifle’s three-round burst mode. To leverage these features optimally, the Army has procured bipods, enabling versatile use of the weapon and enhancing its effective range.

Following the SiG 716’s induction, efforts to procure day telescopic sights, night sights, thermal imaging, and image intensifiers from indigenous sources have been initiated. These additions aim to further enhance the rifle’s capabilities for various roles and operational scenarios.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
What IS ROE for these guys.. if some Andolan jeevi tries to Spray paint India Gate..?
I think it is simply shoot-at-sight. You don't fck around India Gate and the Kartavya Path area in Delhi which has a no-holds-barred kind of a priority. Or anywhere near a military base. There was an attempt in Punjab near a military base during the Amritpal Singh fiasco; the wannabe sher puttars got beaten black and blue and nearly shot.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles