Indian Army: News and Discussion

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i still cannot understand what will happen to the multicaliber assault rifle which is designed by drdo and which looks similar to fn-2000?also what about tiruchirapalli assault rifle which i thing is the perfect replacement for ak series in our army and various paramilitary and state forces

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
i still cannot understand what will happen to the multicaliber assault rifle which is designed by drdo and which looks similar to fn-2000?also what about tiruchirapalli assault rifle which i thing is the perfect replacement for ak series in our army and various paramilitary and state forces
Rifle is all right but what about the composite weapon system consisting of of a squad weapon (GPMG or LMG), carnine and pistol of same calibre and make with interchangability?

You all are focussed on rifle but not on a system.
5.56 of DRDO is a failure in system management. It is as simple as that.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rifle is all right but what about the composite weapon system consisting of of a squad weapon (GPMG or LMG), carnine and pistol of same calibre and make with interchangability?

You all are focussed on rifle but not on a system.
5.56 of DRDO is a failure in system management. It is as simple as that.
5.56MM Pistol ?

Army requirements back then was only Rifle later LMG, Never issued GPMG..

I dislike present 9mm carbine, It was needed to be changed too with something new, OFB is nowhere regarding they are still testing which is bad indeed..

Till date they haven't ask, And we are suffering, Where we are suppose to use HMG we are using MMG and where the same MMG can be used as GPMG we are using PKM, LMG is fine with Mag but IA need a MG with a Mag feed also a belt feed..

Kunal,
you are right.

Interchangeability is before joining the battle and not during the battle except for may be for defensive battles when one is static in trenches or in bunkers where there is no weight and all solders can engage enemy right form 500 m down to 10 meters.
Actually its the regular practice, sort of by the book thing..

Most units have Insas also other firearms but its use in the reqired nature..

Read my post, I mentioned FINSAS`s Rifle..

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Old footage, but I think many never seen this..

Last edited by a moderator:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
worth full read, gives an clear idea, how Indian army evolved over years:

Men of Valour : India Today 35th anniversary News - India Today

The Indian jawan has performed consistently throughout history regardless of the adverse conditions he has been ordered to fight in, be it the freezing winter of Europe during the First World War, in China during the Boxer Rebellion, or the post-independence wars. What he looks for is leadership. His motivation is always his honour as a soldier and his paltan ki izzat. It takes one back to the old saying, "There are no bad soldiers, only bad leaders." Those of us who have had the privilege to lead the Indian soldier will, I am sure, unanimously acknowledge this fact and agree that it has been a privilege and honour to have led such men in war or peace. One cannot find a better body of men anywhere in this world than the soldiers who comprise the Indian Army. They are loyal to the core, follow you wherever you intend taking them, no matter how difficult the task. If you lead, they will follow.

When a company goes into battle, led by an officer, their company commander, and four JCOs, there are also a 100 men in the company who fight. The credit for success may go to their company commander, but many men of that company fight and die to achieve the success. Our soldier, be he an officer, JCO or a jawan, has always asked for very little but has been prepared to give his all in the line of duty. The motto of West Point, the US military academy, aptly sums up the Indian soldier's belief: Duty, Honour, Country.

Neil

Country flag
Happy with Daksh robots, army wants 100 more

The army is interested in procuring 100 more units of the Daksh robot, India's first indigenously manufactured remotely operated vehicle (ROV), which is capable of handling and disposing of improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

This was disclosed to media persons by Major General Rakesh Bassi, director general, combat engineers, at the Research and Development Establishment (Engineers) R&DE (E), Dighi, on Monday at a function held to mark the handing over of the first five Daksh to the army.

The army had given a bulk production clearance to the R&DE (E) for 20 Daksh units in September 2010.

DNA reported on December 18 how Daksh, manufactured by Pune-based M/s Dynalog, Theta Controls and Bharat Electronics, is a compact robot on wheels which has a manipulator arm with six joints. Daksh, which costs Rs1.7 crore apiece, is half the cost of imported robots.

The ROV was part of a package that included a carrier vehicle which could carry the robot, six personnel, a master control station, accessories and spares. Daksh is able to prise open a hidden IED or a bomb and defuse it.

Expressing happiness over Daksh Bassi said, "We are happy that the robot is completely indigenous and can be repaired and serviced easily. We are happy that R&DE (E) and the three manufacturers have incorporated our suggestions and made Daksh a better product.''

According to Bassi, IEDs had become the bane of the armed forces in terror-affected areas and Daksh would be deployed in northern and eastern India to handle such contingencies. "We will exploit the full potential of Daksh in the field and give feedback to
the manufacturers, so that changes and improvements can be made in future robots of the same type,'' he added.

Earlier in the day, chief controller of research and development at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), S Sundaresh, hailed the efforts of the robotics team of the R&DE (E) in developing Daksh. "This is a feather in our cap.I am happy that R&DE (E) has the robotics capability and has also developed a manufacturing base of three companies and a vendor base of 15 companies. This is a very important outcome of the project,'' he said.

The function to flag off the first of the five ROVs was attended by director of R&DE(E), S Guruprasad; advance systems group director, AK Patel; head of robotics Alok Mukherjee; CEO of Theta Controls, Raja Mahbubani; managing director of Dynalog, Akshay Patil; and deputy general manager of Bharat Electronics, Dilip Rokade.

Happy with Daksh robots, army wants 100 more | idrw.org

Global Defence

New threads

Articles