Indian Army: News and Discussion

N4tsula67

Country flag
Created a new thread to make a repository for Literature on Indian Military, idea is that even though we find literature now and then, they get lost in the thread discussions, this way there will be a single source for Military enthusiasts here at DFI.
do contribute..
Since we are talking about literature i would like to suggest a thread on History of firearms. If other members are interested.

12arya

Country flag

CDS Proposes New Manpower Reforms, Retirement Age To Be Increased

In a slew of new reforms related to manpower in the armed forces initiated by Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, the retirement age of officers and jawans from technical branches is proposed to be increased.

As part of the initiatives, the Department of Military Affairs under General Bipin Rawat has also proposed that in order to retain highly-skilled manpower in the defence forces, pension entitlements of the officers taking premature retirement would be revised.

“All these proposals are being initiated to make the optimum use of the manpower in the armed forces,” government sources told ANI. The proposal envisages enhancing the retirement age of Colonels and equivalents in Air Force and Navy to 57 from the existing 54.

Brigadiers and their equivalents are now proposed to retire at the age of 58 from the existing 56 and they would get two additional years. Major Generals would retire at the age of 59 from existing 58. The retirement age of Lieutenant Generals would remain at 60 only and has not been touched.

The retirement age for junior commissioned officers and jawans in logistics, technical and medical branch has been increased to 57 years and this would include the EME, ASC and AOC branches of the Indian Army too

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

CDS Proposes New Manpower Reforms, Retirement Age To Be Increased

In a slew of new reforms related to manpower in the armed forces initiated by Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, the retirement age of officers and jawans from technical branches is proposed to be increased.

As part of the initiatives, the Department of Military Affairs under General Bipin Rawat has also proposed that in order to retain highly-skilled manpower in the defence forces, pension entitlements of the officers taking premature retirement would be revised.

“All these proposals are being initiated to make the optimum use of the manpower in the armed forces,” government sources told ANI. The proposal envisages enhancing the retirement age of Colonels and equivalents in Air Force and Navy to 57 from the existing 54.

Brigadiers and their equivalents are now proposed to retire at the age of 58 from the existing 56 and they would get two additional years. Major Generals would retire at the age of 59 from existing 58. The retirement age of Lieutenant Generals would remain at 60 only and has not been touched.

The retirement age for junior commissioned officers and jawans in logistics, technical and medical branch has been increased to 57 years and this would include the EME, ASC and AOC branches of the Indian Army too
This will be good for the officer shortage situation, but as I understand it, maximum shortage is in Infantry. This is further likely to make Infantry a less sought after arm of the Army 'cause retirement age is not being raised for them, so they retire earlier and also don't get technical pay.

There used to be a provision of "re-employment" of Officers in the Army. What happens to that provision if retirement age is now increased. Does re-employment get abolished or re-employment age also get raised?

Killbot

Country flag
This will be good for the officer shortage situation, but as I understand it, maximum shortage is in Infantry. This is further likely to make Infantry a less sought after arm of the Army 'cause retirement age is not being raised for them, so they retire earlier and also don't get technical pay.

There used to be a provision of "re-employment" of Officers in the Army. What happens to that provision if retirement age is now increased. Does re-employment get abolished or re-employment age also get raised?
One option is expanding the role of JCOs. They can do what Lieutenants and captains do... Platoon commanders and the such.. And identifying ORs and NCOs who can be officers and training them..

12arya

Country flag

I just don't get it; what's the current retirement age of jawans 34/37?

it can easily go up to 45yrs IMHO! coz men can stay fit till that age.

my father was supremely fit till he was 65 and he is from hilly regions!

i know army's job is far demanding but they can raise it up to 45 easily. coz most men r fitter nowadays thanks to awareness and with a bit of training, they can do it.

Killbot

Country flag

i know army's job is far demanding but they can raise it up to 45 easily. coz most men r fitter nowadays thanks to awareness and with a bit of training, they can do it.
Jawans usually get promoted every 3-4 years till they're havaldars...

12arya

Country flag
One option is expanding the role of JCOs. They can do what Lieutenants and captains do... Platoon commanders and the such.. And identifying ORs and NCOs who can be officers and training them..
i think they have started doing it; with junior command course(or somthing like that) for jco's since 2018 which was great initiative.

12arya

Country flag
also, can't they move guys thru inter branches? like, can't an infantry jawan after his peak yrs be trained & sent to EME, or ASC or arty? y the rigidity? wudn't that solve the issue?

Killbot

Country flag

I just looked it up, its 46 years of age for Sepoys, 48 for Lance Naiks, 49 for Naiks and Havaldars

Killbot

Country flag
also, can't they move guys thru inter branches? like, can't an infantry jawan after his peak yrs be trained & sent to EME, or ASC or arty? y the rigidity? wudn't that solve the issue?
Are you saying train a 45 year old infantry Havaldar for one year and have him do what a sepoy does in Corps of Artillery? That isn't going to work. He'll be gone in another 4 years if he isn't promoted anyway. Waste of resources.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
i think they have started doing it; with junior command course(or somthing like that) for jco's since 2018 which was great initiative.
General Rawat was talking about a separate entry scheme and cadre for JCOs. That would allow increasing the minimum education requirement also, allowing for a more tech savvy JCO corps. Wonder what the progress with that is.

There is an alternate arrangement on the table that is more lucrative: After peak years spent in Infantry, send these men to become the body of the CRPF. Would allow ORs in technical cadres to be trained to a higher level since their training would begin at a young age.

BTW, Arty is also a very demanding job.

12arya

Country flag
Are you saying train a 45 year old infantry Havaldar for one year and have him do what a sepoy does in Corps of Artillery? That isn't going to work. He'll be gone in another 4 years if he isn't promoted anyway. Waste of resources.
No, i don't know the mechanics of it all :) i just cluelessly suggested it!

Killbot

Country flag
There is an alternate arrangement on the table that is more lucrative: After peak years spent in Infantry, send these men to become the body of the CRPF. Would allow ORs in technical cadres to be trained to a higher level since their training would begin at a young age
Definitely the way to go. Conversely, having CRPF men serve in the army for 3 years under that new tour of duty scheme would also work.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles