Indian Army: News and Discussion

rkhanna

Country flag
yes but context to consider

1. I dont think Pakistan's Production under lisence includes the seakers (i could be wrong)
2. A number of those Paki missles are past their shelf life.
3. in a conventional war ManPads hold more currency in the Mountains (high altitudes) and in Urban places (against Rotary wings) - where IMO Pak intends to do most of the fighting.
4. A smaller (defensive) military will always have a higher number of Defensive Ordanance - The context is what is India's offensive Air weaponary against Pak?
5. That being Said our Pocurement has yet to catch up with a reorientation to China (where we will be the defensive military and will be fighting in the mountains) - MANPADs though get set off in parts with SHORADS / AKASH SAM systems etc.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I am surprised we have even half of MANPADS as of Pakistan.

For a brief context, During 80s Pakistan decided it is more economical investing its smaller defence budget in cheaper, portable MANPADS than buy full-fledged SAM systems. Resultantly, they got -
  • FIM-92 Stingers from USA (pretty effective, caused us a lot of headache in Kargil)
  • Cloned the Stinger into Anza series of MANPADS
  • RBS-70 from Sweden
  • Chinese FN-6 MANPADS
Meanwhile, we invested in stand-off SAMs
  • SA-6 (KUB, reason for more than half of the aircrafts being downed in Russo-Ukraine war).
  • SA-3 (S-125 Goa)
  • SA-13 (Strela)
  • SA-8 (Gecko)
  • S-300 (for BMD protection, not confirmed).
Now it seems we have decided to license-manufacture Igla's, which will shoot up our MANPAD inventory much further.

airborneCommando

Country flag
No sights on sigs and 30 year old NVGs Indian Army in 2024 everyone

View attachment 248956
I Agree that a lot of personal kit looks (and is) old but they seem to have decent Communication, EW and UAV equipment and a lot of them are uniformly equipped with night vision (though old in form factor). Now pair that with weapons training and experience you get a decent fighting unit.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles