Indian Army-(K-9 Vajra Self Propelled Artillery Gun)

Should Indian Army buy Additional K-9 Vajra Self Propelled Artillery Gun systems?

• Total voters

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
In this Thread we shall discuss all we can About the K-9 Vajra Self Propelled Artillery Gun system which is an Indian Variant of the South Korean K-9 thunder Self Propelled Artillery Gun system.
Some things to note:
1)All info with Regards to the K-9 Vajra to be Posted here in This Thread.
2)Kindly Reframe from Off Topic Posts.
3)Try and Stay to the Topic and Post info Based on it.
4)Images,videos and other Info Material to be Posted in This Thread.
5)Try and Have Detailed Discussions.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Indian Army Operates 100 units of The K-9 Vajra. Ideally Speaking in my opinion. We should have A maximum of 200 units of Such a Gun(if you have a Different number in mind than please tell me) if we want to Fight a 2 front War with Both China And Pakistan.
Out of these 100 guns ,the First 10 units were directly imported from South Korea and the Remaining 90 guns were Built under Licence by L&T(Larsen & Toubro).
South Korea's Hanwha Techwin Did a Transfer of Technology with Larsen and toubro to Produce These guns in India itself under the Make in India initiative.
As of today around 50-70 percent of the Gun consists of Indian Components. To be honest we should definitely more Such guns.
At present we have 100 such guns in our Inventory and we should have atleast 200 in my opinion. It will be a Great Addition to have more such guns in Service with The Indian army.
toast-of-make-in-india-but-production-line-for-vajra-artillery-guns-to-run-dry-this-year-1.jpg

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Indian Army Operates 100 units of The K-9 Vajra. Ideally Speaking in my opinion. We should have A maximum of 200 units of Such a Gun(if you have a Different number in mind than please tell me) if we want to Fight a 2 front War with Both China And Pakistan.
Out of these 100 guns ,the First 10 units were directly imported from South Korea and the Remaining 90 guns were Built under Licence by L&T(Larsen & Toubro).
South Korea's Hanwha Techwin Did a Transfer of Technology with Larsen and toubro to Produce These guns in India itself under the Make in India initiative.
As of today around 50-70 percent of the Gun consists of Indian Components. To be honest we should definitely more Such guns.
At present we have 100 such guns in our Inventory and we should have atleast 200 in my opinion. It will be a Great Addition to have more such guns in Service with The Indian army.
View attachment 124336
Any particular calculations about the 200 number?

Super Flanker

Country flag
Any particular calculations about the 200 number?
Not exactly in That sense but I just Felt like Indian Army should have atleast 200 such Guns.
Maybe around 150 will do The Job at minimum but in my opinion the current Number of 100 guns will just not be Enough To fight a 2 front war in my opinion. We need more from my personal Perspective.

Super Flanker

Country flag
@Neil David Dsouza man, there are existing threads on the topics you are starting new ones for ex- K9, Su30 etc. A simple search from the search bar would avoid this clutter of threads.
Sorry man. This is the Last thread I am doing. Will start doing threads on Topics which don't have a threads made on them. I just Recently came to know how to create threads That's why. So don't mind Man.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Not exactly in That sense but I just Felt like Indian Army should have atleast 200 such Guns.
Maybe around 150 will do The Job at minimum but in my opinion the current Number of 100 guns will just not be Enough To fight a 2 front war in my opinion. We need more from my personal Perspective.
I mean, this stuff will need a lot of thought... cant just guess a number. Will have to identify critical sectors which have insufficient connectivity, or whose connectivity may be easily severed. Then allocate accordingly. Will require hours of analysis.

Like theres no need for K9 in Rajasthan sector, towed guns are faster, more flexible, simpler, cheaper, more reliable. Ladakh will need, Kashmir will need, Northeast will need, rest I dont think. UK has decent infra from a defensive standpoint.

Super Flanker

Country flag
@SwordOfDarkness @Covfefe
I have a question here :
Do we have Complete IP rights of The K-9 Vajra?like now we can Build as Many as we want too and Also Export to Other Countries?
Or it is something like The SU-30 MKI deal In which You have To Pay a License Fees When Making Every Unit?
Or has South Korea granted us the Technology of the Gun and it's IP Rights as well?
PMModiTwitternew-536072507.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
I mean, this stuff will need a lot of thought... cant just guess a number. Will have to identify critical sectors which have insufficient connectivity, or whose connectivity may be easily severed. Then allocate accordingly. Will require hours of analysis.

Like theres no need for K9 in Rajasthan sector, towed guns are faster, more flexible, simpler, cheaper, more reliable. Ladakh will need, Kashmir will need, Northeast will need, rest I dont think. UK has decent infra from a defensive standpoint.
I agree with what you said. It will take lot of time to Assess Different things before Drawing a Definite Conclusion.
Hopefully Indian Army knows what they are Doing. They must have Kept these Things in Mind before Purchasing 100 units of this Artillery Gun system.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Do you think we should have Bought K10
ammunition resupply vehicle so That we could use it in Conjecture with our K-9 Vajra guns?
ar_sph_k9_v3.jpg

Now What is the K-10 ammunition resupply vehicle ?
The K10 is an ammunition resupply vehicle of South Korean origin. It was designed to be used in conjunction with the K9 Thunder self-propelled 155mm howitzer and is based on the same chassis. It features a fixed superstructure with ammunition conveyor belt arm instead of the howitzer. The Vehicle carries a total of 104 rounds and possesses the same mobility as the K-9 thunder gun.
For more details click this Link:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
@hit&run he’s spamming threads which have already been created, deleted them please.

Super Flanker

Country flag
maxresdefault-3.jpg

A pic of a K-9 Vajra Howitzer Gun model By L&T at Defence Expo 2020. Looks cool indeed. Wish I could own one Of These Models.

Longewala

Country flag
View attachment 124336
I think you meant minimum.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles