Indian Army Divisions, their badges and equipment

Tanmay

Country flag
Surprising, considering how you've sniffed out most of these Ind Armoured Brigade names. Here's a relatively recent aesthetic one.

I wasnt into ORBAT finding mode. Its a one week old hobby. So knowledge level is shallow.

Older hobby is google earth. Finding Ballistic missile bases, brahmos bases, radar bases, artillery, tank bases, military facility upgradation - Too spicy to post publicly now.

You can see the thread
https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/osint-from-satellite-images.80704/

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
BMP-1 conducting amphibious landing in Trivandrum, 2009. Marked with 54 'Bison' Infantry Division insignia belonging to XXI 'Sudarshan Chakra' Strike Corps, Southern Command.

Tanmay

Country flag
An eternal question was with regard to the Ranchi 23rd Infantry Division -Ranchi (COCKREL DIVISION) was that it was unclear which Corps and Command it belongs to.

23rd Infantry Division -Ranchi (COCKREL DIVISION)
1596112330701.png

It comes under

South-Western Command (SAPT SHAKTI Command)
I Corps - Mathura

23 ID COCKREL.jpg

Tanmay

Country flag

Sadaiv Shreshth Brigade :
Could be an infantry brigade, but all insignias of Air Defence Corps
Also Air Defence Regiments function under air defence brigades.

So we are looking at a new air defence brigade.

Nabagram Military Station (aka Berhamnpore Military Station) was a new military station inaugrated 5 years ago. Built from scratch.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ation-in-Murshidabad/articleshow/30771758.cms

NABAGRAM (Behrampore): The skyline of Nabagram in Murshidabad (about 220 km from Kolkata) is set to change four years from now, with several nine-storied structures reaching skyward amidst lush green fields and waterbodies. The compound housing these buildings will have a lethal component though. Air defence missiles will be kept ready to protect the airspace over the narrow Siliguri corridor that connects the northeastern states to the rest of the country. The Berhampore Military Station (BMS), the foundation stone of which was laid by President

The BMS will be home to an Air Defence (AD) regiment

The 250-acre campus will house nearly 2,800 troops and about 800 family members.

The only thing Nabagram MS shows is Army Air Defence (AAD) in all official tweets :p

Tanmay

Country flag
You might have heard about Kinnaur (Himachal Pradesh) where Chinese intrusions are well known

This is due to Chinese disputes in two regions of Himachal Pradesh-- Sumdo and Shipki La Pass

https://www.hindustantimes.com/chan...f-in-ladakh/story-sMigEyAek64gHwLIFheWQN.html
HP CM cancels visit to forward areas along China amid military standoff in Ladakh
The CM was scheduled to visit Sumdo, a strategic post between Lahaul-Spiti and Kinnaur, on June 6

Army team scales ‘Peak of Evil’
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-scales-peak-of-evil/articleshow/64910935.cms

SHIMLA: A mountaineering team of Dograa Scouts from the ‘Tripeak Brigade’ has become the team of the Army to scale Mount Papsura (6,440 meters) on June 23 and 24. Located between Kullu and Lahaul-Spiti, Mount Papsura is also known as ‘Peak of Evil’ because of its difficult grade.

The expedition was led by Maj Pankaj Gaur along with four JCOs and 18 Other ranks. It was flagged in by Brig L S Lidder, Commander 136 (Independent) Infantry Brigade Group at Sumdo on July 4.

“Mount Papsura has a perfect pyramidal architecture, sharp rocky patches and plumb snow-choked couloirs and it is considered as one of the technically challenging and difficult peak,” said Pankaj Gaur.

They have a pretty sprawling base as seen fro twitter pics

So the Western Command directly controls 136 (I) Infantry Brigade (TRIPEAK BRIGADE)
136 (I) Inf Bde (TRIPEAKS).JPG

Tanmay

Country flag
I now explore our own deployments in Himachal Pradesh via official army news.

2016 Official Army News

SAINIK SAMACHAR NEWS (CLICK)

Nostalgia is an innate human instinct in man who develops a longing for anything with which he has had a long association. The First love is of paramount importance among such things and it is immune to the ravages of time. And, that is why perhaps Lt Gen KJ Singh the outgoing Commander of Western Command developed a passion for the vintage T-55 tank entrusted to him during his green days as 2nd Lt in the Indian Army and now lying in the 63 Cavalry Garages. He preferred to spend the last day of his half century long soldier's career with this symbol of his first love. He shared his fond memories and the heat and dust which form a part of Cavalry man's active service.
He was very affably received by his Senior Subaltern of yesteryears Colonel Manbir Singh Hundal (Retd), who was the very person to receive him when he joined the Regiment at Ambala in 1977 and also when he joined the Regiment at Ambala in when he came on posting in Chandimandir as the Army Commander.
The decorated General relinquished his charge on July 31, 2016 after an association of more than 50 years with the Army including 39 years of commissioned service.
The General Officer had taken over the charge of Western Command on August 1, 2014 was instrumental in giving an impetus to the operational preparedness of Western Command by testing new concepts like application of two Strike Corps in Command theatre to ensure 'Decisive Victory'. He also focussed on 'Fighting Manoeuvre in Built Up Areas' and concept of 'Killing Grounds' to eliminate possible enemy ingress. He pioneered the concept of JCO lead mobilisation, which is a bold initiative to overcome shortage of officers by empowering JCOs. His other focus areas were development of infrastructure, resolution of long pending issues with the civil administration, skilling and employment of ex-servicemen. He steered establishment of Senior Veterans Home at Panchkula and Youth Outreach Program to motivate the youth to join the Armed Forces. The General has also been instrumental in establishment of 'Gyan Chakra' the first Think tank on strategic issues in the Tri-city thereby earning the sobriquet of Scholar General. He has also steered operationalisation of infrastructure on Northern Borders in HP resulting in establishment of two new military stations, Prithi (Averi Patti) and Him Yodha (Sumdo).
During his long army career he had a stint with UN in Angola for which he was awarded Force Commanders Citation for Bravery followed by COAS Commendation Card. This apart, he has been conferred with PVSM, Bar to AVSM, AVSM and Eastern Army Commanders Commendation twice. General KJ Singh is popularly known as 'Soldiers' General' with phenomenal forward connect with troops. He always found time in his tours to interact with troops and preferred meals with troops rather than mess parties.
His wife Anita, a distinguished teacher with Punjab Government Merit award for leading her school to victory in global NASA Space Settlement Design Competition has provided caring leadership to Western Command AWWA.

So its clear that we have built two new military stations (MS) in Himachal -Prithi (at Averi Patti) and Him Yodha (at Sumdo). Both are huge sprawling bases

The Sumdo MS is seen below as its HQ of 136 (I) Infantry Brigade (TRIPEAK BRIGADE) . Its just 8km away from border.

Modi paid a visit there in 2016

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/archive/himachal/news-detail-753476
‘Rinzin Dwar’, named after mountaineer, inaugurated

SHIMLA: ‘Rinzin Dwar’, named after mountaineer Rinzin Dorje of Dogra Scouts, at the entrance to Prithi Military Station at Averipatti (Rampur) here was inaugurated by Lt Gen Surinder Singh, GOC-in-Chief, Western Command, on Thursday.

ribune News Service

Shimla, April 4

‘Rinzin Dwar’, named after mountaineer Rinzin Dorje of Dogra Scouts, at the entrance to Prithi Military Station at Averipatti (Rampur) here was inaugurated by Lt Gen Surinder Singh, GOC-in-Chief, Western Command, on Thursday.

Rinzin Dorje, a junior commissioned officer, had scaled Mt Everest and several other prominent peaks. However, he succumbed to his injuries sustained in an avalanche while attempting to scale Mt Nun Kun in 2018.

Adorning the ‘Rinzin Dwar’ is the Vijayanta, main battle tank, and a life size mural of Rinzin Dorje. The Army later honoured his wife Kaljang Dolma and assured her of all support.

Lt Gen Surinder Singh also inaugurated a bridge on the Sutlej constructed by 759 BRTF under ‘Project Deepak’. The bridge connects Prithi Military Station to NH-05, thereby providing a shorter access to the location.

From this pic it looke like Prithi MS is also the base for TRIPEAK Brigade. Probably a safer backup base away from border,

Last edited:

Tanmay

Country flag
I was interested in tracking Rudra WSI Attack Helicopters with Army Aviation Corps

Some material to begin with
2015 vintage

https://saiindia.gov.in/sites/defau...fence_Army_Ordnance_Report_44_2015_chap_3.pdf

I selectively quote the report

Functioning of Army Aviation
Units of the Corps are categorised in threetypes:
(a) Reconnaissance and Observation (R&O) helicopter units
(b) Utility Helicopter (UH) units
(c) Armed Helicopter (AH) units

2015 vintage : But gives an idea of holdings and authorised strength

01.JPG

Mechanised Infantry and Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army are authorised for BMP vehicles. Against the authorisation of 2,827 numbers and 323 numbers respectively these Corps are holding 2521 numbers and 170 numbers of the vehicles.

Current production capacity of OFM is 100 vehicles per year, which includes variants of BMP like Carrier Mortar Tracked (CMT), Armoured Ambulance Tracked (AAT), Mine Protected Vehicle (MPV) and Bullet Proof Vehicle. (100 vehicles is inclusive of BMP, MPVs and other vehicles, not dedicated bmp capacity)

Alligator

Country flag
This study details army organization including brigades and their location although it is a bit old

Tanmay

Country flag
The Hall of Fame museum in Leh is a tourist attraction and Army museum

https://goo.gl/maps/thrhRtK41ohfUrff9

Some images from there.

254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) and 118 (I) Infantry Brigade (PARASHU BRIGADE) flags are prominent.

1.png

Some info abour 254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) from Army itself in the museum
05.JPG

Taken from Video here below.

The 118 (I) Infantry Brigade (PARASHU BRIGADE) is an independent brigade under 14 Corps probably based in Nyoma, Leh.
Parashu means Battle Axe
118 (I) Inf Bde PARASHU.jpg

Another infantry brigade under 14 Corps is the 102 (I) Infantry Brigade (SIACHEN BRIGADE) based at Partapur

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india/battleground-siachen/story-CMva3wVlZDAzJdcJN2mD8N.html
“The peculiarities of weather and terrain pose a formidable challenge. We have lost more soldiers to avalanches, crevasses and medical complications than hostile fire,” said a senior army officer, who has commanded the Partapur-based 102 Infantry brigade which controls the glacier.
However 14 Corps cannot use 102 (I) Inf Bde against China bcoz its sort of meant only to protect Siachen.

Tanmay

Country flag
I think DFI is the only forum to have listed all Independent Armoured Brigades with their names, insignias and numbers.
Even Bharat Rakshak doesnt have this information in coherent form.

Ofcourse all information was publicly availabe, but too scattered and no other forum or person has listed everyting in a simple way :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles