Indian Army Aviation Wing

Vijyes

That one is Rustom-1. But it is quite possible that halina firing from Rustom already happened.
I am sorry. You are right. It is Rustom 1. But, I was just using it as analogy to say that Helina can be used in LCH if it can be used on UAV

Reactions: Kay

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
For IOC it would be LAHAT. HELINA has been tested with Rudra, but no tests has yet been carried out on LCH.
As I said , both HELINA and LAHAT are intended for LCH.
As both LCH and Rudra have similar Weapon firing and targetting systems than it is not a big deal to integrate any weapon which is already tested on a similar system.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Official sources in HAL confirmed that Defence Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate the production line for 15 HAL LCH on Saturday.

Reactions: Kay

S.Balaji

Country flag
Nope, it is almost ready. We have test fired Nag recently and it worked fine. Its range however decreased by 25% in 50 degrees Celsius heat. In normal places, it works well. It will take a year or two for induction. But the LCH will also take 2-3 years to be produced in large numbers and to be equipped with various systems
I was at the DRDO defense expo at Chennai last month...the imarat guy said that nag has completed development trials..currently awaiting orders.. reworked seeker hits the target at the range of 3.2 Kms during 12 noon to 1pm ...range during other parts of the day in Rajasthan desert is same as the stated range of 4kms.

RCI mmw is planned to be used in future iterations for terminal phase guidance making nag an all weather potent platform..

Usually for validation of subsystems of a new platform (LCH), done using proven subsystems (eg:- Mistral,) and not in-development systems like Helina.....for eg Astra was tested on mki and not on Tejas.....

Prashant12

Country flag
Desi combat chopper to begin production; Jaitley to inaugurate unit on Saturday

BENGALURU: Nine months after the Defence Acquisition Committee (DAC) gave its in-principle approval for the procurement of 15 Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the army at the cost of Rs 2,911 crore, defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is all set to begin production.

Official sources in HAL confirmed that Defence Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate the production line on Saturday. The choppers are being procured under the buy Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufactured (IDDM) category.

The twin engine LCH is in the 5.8 tonne class featuring narrow fuselage and tandem configuration for pilot and co-pilot weapon system operator. "The raksha mantri (Jaitley) has confirmed his participation on Saturday and he will be launching the production facility at about 6pm on Saturday," a source in the know told TOI.

The chopper has been designed by HAL's Rotary Wing R&D and the basic version has already got the clearance from CEMILAC (Center for Military Airworthiness and Certification). "The helicopter has indigenous state-of-the-art technologies like integrated dynamic system, bearingless Tail Rotor, anti-resonance vibration isolation system, crashworthy landing gear, smart glass cockpit, hinge less main rotor, Armour Protection and stealth features from visual, aural, radar and IR signatures," the official added.

Equipped with 20mm Turret gun, 70 mm Rocket, air-to-air missile and Helmet pointing system, the helicopter can carry out operational roles under extreme weather conditions at different altitudes from sea level, hot weather desert, cold weather and Himalayan altitudes.

The LCH has already demonstrated capability to land and take off from Siachen Range with considerable load, fuel and weapons that are beyond any other combat helicopter.

Jaitley, who is also the finance minister is likely to visit other defence PSUs like BEL and BEML, but sources said those visits are largely to deal with their financial matters.

Besides LCH, Jaitley will also visit the Hawk hanger at HAL. HAL produced its 100th Hawk jet trainer aircraft with designation as Hawk-i (Hawk-India), which the PSU says is its "indigenous role change development programme to convert the jet trainer into a Combat-Ready platform."

Hawk-i, HAL says, is capable of delivering precision munitions including air-to-ground and close combat weapons, self defence capabilities through electronic warfare (EW) systems, digital map generator among other features.
The aircraft is upgraded with indigenously designed avionics hardware, software and system architecture enhancing operational role from a trainer aircraft into a Combat-ready platform.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...on-saturday/articleshow/60208239.cms?from=mdr

Vijyes

Can anyone tell me if LCH uses Indian engines or the same Mecca :shock:(Turbomecca) engines?

NeXoft007

Country flag
Helina Missile test is being readied with a new electromechanical actuators and higher resolution IIR seeker, I just don't know when it will be tested.

Vijyes

Helina Missile test is being readied with a new electromechanical actuators and higher resolution IIR seeker, I just don't know when it will be tested.
They never release any news about helina tests. Even the Rustom-1 test was not released but luckily someone took a photo

cannonfodder

Country flag
My wish is IA/IAF park some LCH and LCA on field near northeastern border ASAP. It will give lizard something more to think about. :daru:

Superdefender

Watch this video: सक्षम भारत : हमलावर हेलीकॉपटर (26/08/2017)
//Very Informative//

singh100ful

Country flag
For IOC it would be LAHAT. HELINA has been tested with Rudra, but no tests has yet been carried out on LCH.
LCH is still in flight certification, weapon integration will be done by DRDO.
Weapon integration is yet to start.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Is there a plan to have one or two apache with longbow radar in a squadron of IA LCH?
Mixing up of different platforms below squadron level is best avoided to simplify logistics and maintenance issues. However, I believe that IA would definitely plan to use Apache-LCH in a Su-30MKI-MiG-21Bison kind of combo. Most likely, a brigade of army aviation will have one squadron of Apache and 2 of LCH. Not sure how much armour would be backed by a single Army aviation brigade.
Would be great to see this combo reinforcing our Armour on Depsang plains.
What is more suitable for MEDEVAC? Dhruv or LUH?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles