Indian Army Artillery

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There were two contenders. Elbit and Nexter. Elbit Athos was chosen after beating the Nexter Trajan in both performance and pricing.

so 1100 guns can still be ATAGS.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
100%.

Call it MoD and GoI's bandarbaat in the name of 'inclusion' and keeping all parties happy.

So Kalyani+Elbit may get an order for 400 guns and the remaining goes to Tata Power SED for the ATAGS.
other than swarajya, how many other news outlets have reported this part?

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
100%.

Call it MoD and GoI's bandarbaat in the name of 'inclusion' and keeping all parties happy.

So Kalyani+Elbit may get an order for 400 guns and the remaining goes to Tata Power SED for the ATAGS.
Makes sense bcz last time we cancelled spike deal.

another_armchair

Country flag
this one seems to say, all of them will be Israeli guns. 400 off the shelf and the rest assembled in India.
As per original tender, yes, all the guns are to be Israeli. ATAGS was nowhere in sight. Let's see how MoD tweaks this one.

ATAGS has not been approved for serial production because it hasn't cleared the 'agni pariksha'.

Took a miracle for OFB to actually get orders for Dhanush.

After all, Army can only point at a toy. MoD writes the cheque. If MoD decides it is the Athos, Army will have to take it or reject and call for trials till 2050.

As the ATAGS has been considered to be too long, too heavy for movement in mountains, one of the suggestions could be to bring it back for trials after it can fly preferably with foldable rotors

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
As per original tender, yes, all the guns are to be Israeli. ATAGS was nowhere in sight. Let's see how MoD tweaks this one.

ATAGS has not been approved for serial production because it hasn't cleared the 'agni pariksha'.

After all, Army can only point at a toy. MoD writes the cheque. If MoD decides it is the Athos, Army will have to take it or reject and call for trials till 2050.

As the ATAGS has been considered to be too long, too heavy for movement in mountains, one of the suggestions could be to bring it back for trials after it can fly preferably with foldable rotors
The alternative to the heavy ATAGS then is Bharat 52, equally capable if not more.
No point in going for ATHOS 2052 even if it is to be made by Bharat Forge.

another_armchair

Country flag
this one seems to say, all of them will be Israeli guns. 400 off the shelf and the rest assembled in India.
As far as I remember, South Korean KH-179, 155/52 mm howitzer was also likely to be a part of trials along with Elbit's Athos and Nexter's Trajan but they pulled out for reasons unknown.

Will post a source if I find one.

Tridev123

Country flag
So kalayani, drdo,ofb ...none of their guns worked out?
I don't support buying imported weapons when indigenous alternatives are present.
But in the case of Israel I suspect these are dollops being handed out in lieu of favours extended by them to us. Like in the context of the Indo-China face off at the border. There are reports that some units of the MR-SAM Barak 8 sourced from the Israeli Army were provided to India for operation in the Ladakh area.

Unverified reports but Israel has in the past helped India during emergencies. Like during the Kargil War when Laser Targeting Pods were supplied for delivery of LGB's by our Mirage 2000 planes.

The truth may not be known. But indigenous weapon projects should be supported for long term benefits.

Tuco

Country flag
I don't support buying imported weapons when indigenous alternatives are present.
But in the case of Israel I suspect these are dollops being handed out in lieu of favours extended by them to us. Like in the context of the Indo-China face off at the border. There are reports that some units of the MR-SAM Barak 8 sourced from the Israeli Army were provided to India for operation in the Ladakh area.

Unverified reports but Israel has in the past helped India during emergencies. Like during the Kargil War when Laser Targeting Pods were supplied for delivery of LGB's by our Mirage 2000 planes.

The truth may not be known. But indigenous weapon projects should be supported for long term benefits.
I agree with your view, but my point is that with the countries like Israel we should always get into partnership in high-tech fields if you really want to subsidize their R&D do it in those fields which would benefit us most and I don't think artillery is one such field.

Tridev123

Country flag
I agree with your view, but my point is that with the countries like Israel we should always get into partnership in high-tech fields if you really want to subsidize their R&D do it in those fields which would benefit us most and I don't think artillery is one such field.
I agree. Where ever viable indigenous systems are available and meet minimum standards they should be supported. No country can hope to become a big power if it continues to rely on imported weapons.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Well OFB has to take some blame here, their shitty quality and horrible work culture to name a few reasons.
How can a soldier trust any product that comes out of that commie shed ??
As usual its a cluster fuck - import loving army, scams, babus, commie unions, corrupt OFB, dalals .....

Trololo

Country flag
1 thing I will tell is that other than Navy, no other service is as deeply invested in science and R&D. Very unlike NATO forces. Navy is deep into things in electronics, electricals, mechanicals, and hydrodynamics with various universities, private companies, and research labs. Result is that navy has good cadre of very competent engineers and researchers who have made us into a builder's navy. What initially started with investments in mechanical engineering, heavy electricals, and hydrodynamics, has now made its way into cutting edge electronics, sensors, weapons, and system integration. Army and IAF can learn a few things here.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles