Indian Army Armored Vehicles

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
The more I look into armoured vehicles the more I question the IA’a demand for a light tank (other than the fact that the Russians started pushing the Sprut), what calibre gun will it have? Will it have hard kill APS? As a tank it’ll have to be designed to go up against other tanks but a sub 25t demand from the IA means the thing will be incredibly incredibly thin skinned, likely only protected up to 20mm from the front, the rest being 7.62 protected

This at a time when every modern army is inducting IFVs that are well over 35t because of protection requirements

even the US army’s MPF which is explicitly NOT a tank is over 40t

The same issue with the FICVs (again demand is less than 25 ton) . I’m really struggling to imagine how the IA is planning on fighting, their doctrine of mobility above all else seems ridiculously outdated in an age where heavy firepower is available at a squad level
Army will end up with an utter compromise.Lack of vision leads to such questionable decisions.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Army will end up with an utter compromise.Lack of vision leads to such questionable decisions.
They’d be better off building the Kestral as a fully modular platform- use it to mount a 105mm gun and another as a NAMICA carrier, heavy mortar carrier etc etc

instead this AON/RFI nonsense dreamed up by looking at foreign OEM brochures. I don’t think the IA even knows how they want to employ the light tank and it’s entirely plausible this becomes another Tank-EX/Bhim 15 years from now

4D8D705C-0565-4199-A389-F1FC6147B053.jpeg

Last edited:

flanker99

Country flag
That’s a secondary issue (that’ll be apparent very soon though of course- asking for all the performance of an MBT but on sub-APC footprint, typical IA bs)

but I’m more interested where the doctrine to employ this has even come from, is the idea that the light tank will be acting as fire support for dismounted infantry? Acting as an anti tank asset against other MBT? Or it’s just a knee jerk reaction because the commies designed something and call it a light tank?

If they want a heavy turret on the thing they’ll have to basically do without any meaningful armour to the extent that even a heavy infantry unit will be able to disable the thing.
I think IA just wants to free the t90's from mountain duties and well because the commis have it ..i mean we have been up there for decades IA never thought about light tank before what suddenly changed?

Blademaster

I think IA just wants to free the t90's from mountain duties and well because the commis have it ..i mean we have been up there for decades IA never thought about light tank before what suddenly changed?
Goes to show how myopic the IA is. They are a very reactionary force. Sad to see such sad state of affairs. When we had Sundarji, IA became one of the most forward thinking force in the world. When he left, we were the poorer for it.

BlackViking

Country flag
They’d be better off building the Kestral as a fully modular platform- use it to mount a 105mm gun and another as a NAMICA carrier, heavy mortar carrier etc etc

instead this AON/RFI nonsense dreamed up by looking at foreign OEM brochures. I don’t think the IA even knows how they want to employ the light tank and it’s entirely plausible this becomes another Tank-EX/Bhim 15 years from now

View attachment 188779
Have you ever seen the complete documents of army tenders of any procurement? It has always been the case that the eyes and ears of dalals inside the army notify them about a possible procurement and then the dalals give their chadava to the QR officer. The highest bidder get the chance to dictate the tender QRs. The Indian Dalals most of the time give them brochure specifications and that's what shown in tenders.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles