Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
If they conduct the trials now, I guess its just Kestral/whap/ipmv/whatever new f*cking name they invent for it v/s no competition. Who knows, maybe the "others" can make better models as whap has set a benchmark upon which they can improve.

Whatever happens, my only wish is that they get a properly protected vehicle without those stupid windows and all. Its like they are suggesting to our enemies to aim right for those windows if they want to kill the infantrymen inside.
Understand the difference between IPMV and WhAP in terms of role and maybe you'd not feel so frustrated. IPMV has windows and no amphibious capability because its simply meant to do the job of a Protected Mobility Platform for the QRTs of Light Infantry, same as Mahindra ALSV. Albeit at a higher level of protection. Meanwhile, WhAP is a proper replacement for BRDM in Recce and Support Battalions of Indian Mechanized Forces.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Understand the difference between IPMV and WhAP in terms of role and maybe you'd not feel so frustrated. IPMV has windows and no amphibious capability because its simply meant to do the job of a Protected Mobility Platform for the QRTs of Light Infantry, same as Mahindra ALSV. Albeit at a higher level of protection. Meanwhile, WhAP is a proper replacement for BRDM in Recce and Support Battalions of Indian Mechanized Forces.
You may wanna take a look at this.

I thought those firing ports and windows were only going to be there on the APC/patrol vehicle kinda variant.Why this obsession with firing ports when everybody else, including the Russians, have long gotten rid of them?
Even if they remove those windows, didn't whap always have those firing ports with periscope sights anyway.

And what is this argument that whap with windows is similar to ALSV. I do not understand that at all. And isn't this Infantry protected mobility vehicle another fancy name for an APC? If so, then my question is valid. What is the use of those windows on such a platform? Do they expect this thing to do CI/CT Ops or something? Otherwise in any conventional conflict in a modern battlefield, how does an APC with side windows help?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
You may wanna take a look at this.

Even if they remove those windows, didn't whap always have those firing ports with periscope sights anyway.

And what is this argument that whap with windows is similar to ALSV. I do not understand that at all. And isn't this Infantry protected mobility vehicle another fancy name for an APC? If so, then my question is valid. What is the use of those windows on such a platform? Do they expect this thing to do CI/CT Ops or something? Otherwise in any conventional conflict in a modern battlefield, how does an APC with side windows help?
I am not saying IPMV is similar to ALSV, I am saying they have both been bought for the same role: That of protected mobility vehicle. APC is a very broad term.

To help you better understand, IPMV and ALSV are meant to do the role that is performed by Oshkosh MATV and Oshkosh JLTV in US Army. In India's case, they are initially assigned to company-sized Quick Reaction Teams with 10 vehicles, 5 each of the IPMV and ALSV.

WhAP is different. Its expected to do similar task to the M1127, M1131 and M1134 variants of the Stryker of the US Army. In that sense, its closer to an Infantry Combat Vehicle than an APC.

As for the version of WhAP whose photo you posted, its likely never going to be accepted by the Army, since its an Infantry Combat Vehicle.

Obviously the levels of protection differ. Going by STANAG levels:-
1.) Mahindra ALSV provides Level 1 or 2 (depending on if kit is applied or not)
2.) IPMV and Kalyani Mbombe 4 provides Level 3 protection
3.) WhAP provides Level 4 protection

Armament is also different in each.

I've already told you which type of units are receiving the IPMV and which ones are getting the WhAP. Now its up to you to read more on how Light Infantry QRT has different tasking compared to Mechanized Forces Recce.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Article advocating for more wheeled armoured platform in IA.
======
Calling the Cavalry: Indian Army and its Mechanized Buildup

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

BlackViking

Country flag

Much Awaited dispatch of Ist MPV 4x4 Upgraded from #VFJ to Indian Army in presence of GM VFJ
Was there in 2018. They were making a spacious 6x6 MPV with RCWS and fully enclosed transmission, AC, 360 degree visual awareness, etc. They had done factory trials themselves at that time and the product was ready for user trials. Now IA orders a 4x4 with only a new engine & AC as upgrade, after 4+ years. Even the yanks were interested in that prototype.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Mine Resistant Ambush Protected’ Speciality Vehicles with Interrogation arms to lift road side IEDs. To be deployed in UN Peacekeeping Operations.

Mahindra Defence vehicle made in India – Exported to UN for Peacekeeping Missions

This new Mahindra Defence vehicle can take on IEDs of a minimum of 10 kgs TNT from a distance of 5 mt and height of 1.5 mt from the ground Anand Mahindra has praised the Mahindra Defence Sector in regard to the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Speciality Vehicle which it has designed, produced in India and exported to the UN for peacekeeping operations. This is a special armoured carrier that provides excellent ballistic and mine protection and capable of stability and power even under the most challenging of situations.

It may be noted that Mahindra Defence is the defence systems subsidiary of Mahindra Group, well versed in providing military and paramilitary solutions for the past 70 years. Ballistic and Land Mine Blast Protection The Mahindra MPV-i consists of top and side protection of CEN Level B6 and blast protection upto Stanag Level 4A. This means that the vehicle can take on a direct hit from a 7.62x51mm ball and also 5.56×45 mm, 7.62×39 mm ammunition fired directly at it from a distance of 10 mt at a 90 degree angle.

The Mahindra MPV-i is also able to protect its occupants against an attack of 14kg TNT explosives underneath the hull and 21kg TNT explosives underneath rear wheel of the vehicle. In terms of mine blast protection, the vehicle can take an IED attack of 10 kgs of TNT from a distance of 5 mt and height of 1.5 mt from the ground. Engine Specs Mahindra MPV-i is powered by a V6, diesel engine offering 250 hp power at 1,200 rpm and 960 Nm torque at 1,200 rpm mated to a 6×6 transmission. The engine receives turbochargers, intercoolers and comes in with Multi Leaf Spring with shock absorbers in the front and Bogue suspension at the rear. Braking is via pneumatic dual brake circuit of 10 bar system with parking brake provided for all 6 wheels. Turning cycle is at 21,000 mm while tyres measure 14 R 20 W RFS. Standard and Optional Features Standard features offered on the Mahindra MPV-i include a roof hatch, intercom system, gun port and public address system. Front and rear air conditioning, a protected fuel tank, engine and battery protection, multi layered ballistic glass, a run flat system and rear seats are also a part of these standard features.

There are also optional features that include satellite communication, tactical command and control with mapping, a tactical radio, surveillance equipment, laser range finder and rapid deployment broadband. It also gets advanced light package, a multipurpose pulse Doppler radar system and GPS and navigation system along with HF/VHF/UHF Radio, fire suppression system and acoustic multi-mission sensors.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles