Indian Armed Forces Medical Policy

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
I wasn't sure in which thread to put my doubt so I had to create this one.

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
On Indian Army's website at one place the colour perception category for Indian Army (non-aviation) is mentioned to be CP-III whereas when I downloaded the PDF of the medical policy (2018 updated) it was CP-II. In older versions it's CP-III.
Can someone please confirm the correct one if they can? Also, what chance do I have if I suspect myself to be CP-III? I don't make mistakes in Martin Lantern Test (1.5 m) but a few are not visible to me in Ishihara Book (I gave the test on Google).

I did some research and found articles which say that colour perception isn't a handicap for army soldiers. In one case it was found that they're better at detecting camouflage than their normal counterparts. I watched interviews of former SAS and SEALS who said that they have red-green colour vision (deuteranomaly and not deuteranopia) and it was NEVER a hurdle in their duty.

Is there any hope? What should I do?

PS- This is a question which seeks genuine, honest and POLITE answers. Please don't get sarcastic and rude if you don't like my question or opinions and have formed an image of me in your mind. I've seen enough of that on Quora. Not here please. Feel free to ignore if you don't like my question.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
On Indian Army's website at one place the colour perception category for Indian Army (non-aviation) is mentioned to be CP-III whereas when I downloaded the PDF of the medical policy (2018 updated) it was CP-II. In older versions it's CP-III.
Can someone please confirm the correct one if they can? Also, what chance do I have if I suspect myself to be CP-III? I don't make mistakes in Martin Lantern Test (1.5 m) but a few are not visible to me in Ishihara Book (I gave the test on Google).

I did some research and found articles which say that colour perception isn't a handicap for army soldiers. In one case it was found that they're better at detecting camouflage than their normal counterparts. I watched interviews of former SAS and SEALS who said that they have red-green colour vision (deuteranomaly and not deuteranopia) and it was NEVER a hurdle in their duty.

PS- This is a question which seeks genuine, honest and POLITE answers. Please don't get sarcastic and rude if you don't like my question or opinions and have formed an image of me in your mind. I've seen enough of that on Quora. Not here please. Feel free to ignore if you don't like my question.
Brother , there were many ex army veterans here .
I dont think if many remain.
@Angel of War. @abingdonboy. @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR
@Immanuel
@Mikesingh
@binayak95
@shouryav105
@Anandhu Krishna
May help you probably

Immanuel

Country flag

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Thanks for the shout out bro, but probably @Yodha is the best person to answer as he is on active duty and has been to commando school.
Sirji, I thought bhadra saab , vinayak sir can also help .
Former was in army , latter in the navy

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I'd like to help but I couldn't understand what you were talking about? Layman terms please.
Sir, if I have read it right, he asking if colour perception (CP) limitation can be a hindrance on selection with non aviation branch of the Army. There is confusion with Grading mention on the PDF application form (CP-2) and grading stated online (CP-3).

There are 4 grading of colour perceptions and he is CP-III, which is: ‘Should be able to recognize white, red and green colour signal correctly at a distance of 1.5 meters using largest aperture OR able to read requisite plates of Ishihara’..

Can you kindly find out about the current policy on CP as CP-3 was previously an acceptable grade for selection. Please note CP-1 means no issues with CP or all correct answers and CP-4 is least acceptable colour perception.

Best Regards.

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
Sir, if I have read it right, he asking if colour perception (CP) limitation can be a hindrance on selection with non aviation branch of the Army. There is confusion with Grading mention on the PDF application form (CP-2) and grading stated online (CP-3).

There are 4 grading of colour perceptions and he is CP-III, which is: ‘Should be able to recognize white, red and green colour signal correctly at a distance of 1.5 meters using largest aperture OR able to read requisite plates of Ishihara’..

Can you kindly find out about the current policy on CP as CP-3 was previously an acceptable grade for selection. Please note CP-1 means no issues with CP or all correct answers and CP-4 is least acceptable colour perception.

Best Regards.
You're right sir

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
I'd like to help but I couldn't understand what you were talking about? Layman terms please.
Sir what degree of colour vision is acceptable and how do I know if I am fit? Also, is there any place for CP-III in the army? Can I get into Combat Arms?
What hit&run has explained is correct sir.

Paddy Mayne

Country flag

Still waiting for a response. Can someone bring it to the attention of someone who can respond to this?
@Yodha Sir can you please tell something?

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
I will get back after consultation with the AMC officer.
Thanks so much Sir. Also, I would like to add that I am going for CDS entry. Perhaps they have still kept the old medical policy for NDA entry.

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
I will get back after consultation with the AMC officer.
Any updates sir? Actually I am about to appear for SSB and instead of focusing on it, I am ruminating about this. I know it's illogical to think about it, but I can't help worrying.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Any updates sir? Actually I am about to appear for SSB and instead of focusing on it, I am ruminating about this. I know it's illogical to think about it, but I can't help worrying.
It's CP III for non aviation and if you opt for it then you will be checked again comprehensively. Good luck with your SSB. Remember, genuineness is the key.

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
It's CP III for non aviation and if you opt for it then you will be checked again comprehensively. Good luck with your SSB. Remember, genuineness is the key.
Thanks so much Sir. I'm more interested in Infantry and SF. Hope they take me 😅

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles