Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

SKC

Country flag
The Marut lives on. Call it the Marut II. This thing could potentially replace the Jaguar in it's role.
Someone posted about an Internal project of HAL to start Marut II program. Can't say if that was legit news.

NutCracker

Country flag
me rn
View attachment 193054
all these claims of AESA IRST FBW and what not...but most crucial part is overlooked or uncommented as of now that is engine...without a proper F404 level engine it seems more or less impossible to give it such a massive payload 🤷‍♂️
but i guess 42 denotes engine thrust in KiloNewton then...is it Mig-21's Tumansky on it ?! or derated F404 or F414 ? or we going to put Kaveri on it ?
Dry Kaveri for beginning. Later on with AB, how bout dat..

weren't we conducting high altitude testing in Russia.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Blame my pessimistic ass but we have too many fighter jet projects in the pipeline but none is inching toward fruition.

Tejas Mk2 -> Delayed
TEBDEF -> Funds not even sanctioned
AMCA -> ?? Tentative
Now, this.

Rather focus 100% on one or two projects and stop working on 10 different things at the same time.

SKC

Country flag
Blame my pessimistic ass but we have too many fighter jet projects in the pipeline but none is inching toward fruition.

Tejas Mk2 -> Delayed
AMCA -> ?? Tentative
Now, this.

Rather focus 100% on one or two projects and stop working on 10 different things at the same time.
This is what other countries are doing. With the limited fundings and economy, most country put their efforts on one project at a time and then move forward to other.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Tejas Mk2 -> Delayed
AMCA -> ?? Tentative
Now, this.

in hindsight it's good to go 'never put your all eggs in one basket' thing IF it results in some fruition somewhere,
BUT the amount of ;vighna-santoshi; we are dealing with ,both internal and external, is unreal...nowhere else you might see self sabotaging sleuths like ours.

Gyyan

Country flag

Tejas Mk2 -> Delayed
AMCA -> ?? Tentative
Now, this.

If you add UCAVs to the list it becomes even more
TIA-AV50
ghatak
CATS family.

Gyyan

Country flag
while we are excited about return of HF-24 Marut in new avataar,

porkies and chinis are buzzing and calling it Guizhou JL-9 copy reeee
View attachment 193059
or going deeper and calling it copy of 1960s era chini DF-113 something
Marut was in service by 1967 when was this shit inducted into PLAAF?

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
If you add UCAVs to the list it becomes even more
TIA-AV50
ghatak
CATS family.
Yes, let's leave the private sector ones (CATS is NewSpace JV). But even after -
  • LCH Mk1A
  • LCA Mk2
  • TEBDEF
  • AMCA
  • HLFT-42
  • LCH (Needs weapons & sensors)
  • IMRH
  • Tapas BH
  • Rustom - 1
  • NAL Saras
  • Twin-boom Tapas (forgot the name)
I probably still missed a few.

Gyyan

Country flag
Yes, let's leave the private sector ones (CATS is NewSpace JV). But even after -
  • LCH Mk1A
  • LCA Mk2
  • TEBDEF
  • AMCA
  • HLFT-42
  • LCH (Needs weapons & sensors)
  • IMRH
  • Tapas BH
  • Rustom - 1
  • NAL Saras
  • Twin-boom Tapas (forgot the name)
I probably still missed a few.
Swift(saw somewhere there was an idea to develope it into a seperate prog.)
TIA-AV50
Ghatak

Tridev123

Country flag

Tejas Mk2 -> Delayed
AMCA -> ?? Tentative
Now, this.

Though some people might interpret it as throwing cold water on the proposal, it is a sound piece of advice.

We have a penchant for making high level promises and then unfortunately not delivering on time and within cost estimates.

The LCA mk1 and the LCA mk1a(there is no big hurdle to be crossed) are indeed Indian success stories(though a bit delayed).

The LCA mk2 should be our next success story. No reason why it should not become a reality before 2030.

These will provide the stepping stones for realising the futuristic AMCA, TEDBF/ORCA etc.

There is nothing wrong in dreaming big, but putting the load repeatedly on the same players ADA, HAL etc will be counterproductive. At least share the costs and risks with reputable, big private sector companies. Even though most of the private companies may lack experience in the aerospace field, guide them initially, hand hold them, enabling their staff to gain the required skills.
This symbiotic partnership will pay dividends in the long term and will only benefit India by adding to the aerospace ecosystem.

More number of players in aerospace should be welcomed.

Of course, we have to cross the biggest hurdle in aerospace, namely high performance turbofan engines.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles