Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
Having 250 mk1a is necessity nothing can fulfill that and it shouldn't be executed after delivery of mk1a but within 2-3 years things should move to orders and increase the production line in order to deliver it early
This will help us to maintain our losing edge to Pakistan forget China we will think later
Exactly my thought, other users here are commenting to order jets which do not exists it will always make more sense to buy what you can if you are lacking the numbers

Blademaster

If I'm not wrong, NDA 2's record in buying fighters is about the same as UPA's 10 years (and I don't think any new fighters are getting in the remaining year or so).
UPA = 40 + 40 MKI + 40 LCA Mk1
NDA 2 = 36 Rafael + 83 LCA Mk1A
Something to consider before doing political blame games.
Yeah but don't forget the huge economic mess that UPA left for NDA 2 to take care of when UPA inherited a booming economy from NDA 1. NDA 2 had to fix the economic mess first before doing the IAF's needs.

Super falcon

Country flag
Indian airforce third fourth largest after USA Russia and china why india signed for just 6 B 767 Aerial refuelers with Israel aerospace industries when it's spare parts supply chain has issues

Indian airforce initially was interested to buy MRTT A 330 Air refuelers why they went for these still i think India short if atleast 14 air refuelers if we take out İL 78 Fleet because they are very old and their availability rate has dropped due to their airframe like and upgrade program so as India gets these 6 B 767 from Israel still India needs 14 more remember India has to fight two front war and Indian navy might need to get support for sea borne dedicated AWACS for air refueling because their range will be decrease if no aur refueling used and this will dent Indian Naval operations against china which h benefits china here

These will be force multipliers for İAF if bought in designated numbers covering all aspects specialty refueling of AWACS is very very critical in airwarfare for continuous eye on enemy

İs there any chance India may go for Airbus A 330 MRRT order to strengthen İAF fleet support as Indian civilian airlines have used A 330 Which india cheaply buy them upgrade their airframes Şub systems and convert them in brand new MRTT for İAF

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
If I'm not wrong, NDA 2's record in buying fighters is about the same as UPA's 10 years (and I don't think any new fighters are getting in the remaining year or so).
UPA = 40 + 40 MKI + 40 LCA Mk1
NDA 2 = 36 Rafael + 83 LCA Mk1A
Something to consider before doing political blame games.
SU-30MKI order numbers from wiki

1996 - 50
2000 - 140 ( MoU for total fleet of 272 with 222 assembled by HAL)
2007 - 40
2012 - 42
fleet strength in Jan 2015 - 193.
2018 - First domestically overhauled aircraft delivered
2018 - no more new orders as per policy.
2020 - 12(replacement for crashes, not sure what happened to this)
2021 - HAL delivers last of 222 SU-30MKIs.

silverghost

Country flag
Jags are being upgraded and will serve till mk2 replace them ...i don't like it but what choice do we have...rafale repeat order is must
I hope not why are we wasting time, effort, and money on upgrading Jags? The way IAF is going soon we will hear that IAF wants to upgrade Canberra's & Hunters. Can't we buy used Mirage 2K from UAE & Taiwan as replacements for JAGs if IAF can't afford new ones? I know JAGs have some low-level flying capabilities that IAF considers beneficial but that fossil of an aircraft barely flies. Upgrading JAGs is nothing but a new way of getting our pilots killed. Here is a list of Jaguar crashes for those who are interested:

silverghost

Country flag
Can you tell me Why it can not take on against J10C and Blk52 ?
One is slightly older tech without AESA radar and another is chinese.

Pakistan also has 130+ Jf17 . Might go beyond 150 with few more Blk3.
On paper, J10C is what we want Mk2 to be. It has everything that we would like Mk2 to have e.g. weapon-carrying capacity (11 hardpoints), higher G limits, Canards, AESA radar, and P15 BVR missiles plus they have been refining it for close to 15-20 years. The RCS, ITR, STR info. are classified but one shouldn't underestimate your enemy.

F16 though old is a combat-proven veteran with many kills against Russian fighter jets. It's a benchmark using which single-engine jets are measured. Also, the F16 can be equipped with AIM 120C, and 120D (not sure if Pakistan has 120D, but who knows they might have gotten some through Turkey).

I don't think other than Rafales we have anything in our inventory which have matching capabilities. Can a Mk1 take on F16 blk 52 with AIM 120C one on one?

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
On paper, J10C is what we want Mk2 to be. It has everything that we would like Mk2 to have e.g. weapon-carrying capacity (11 hardpoints), higher G limits, Canards, AESA radar, and P15 BVR missiles plus they have been refining it for close to 15-20 years. The RCS, ITR, STR info. are classified but one shouldn't underestimate your enemy.

F16 though old is a combat-proven veteran with many kills against Russian fighter jets. It's a benchmark using which single-engine jets are measured. Also, the F16 can be equipped with AIM 120C, and 120D (not sure if Pakistan has 120D, but who knows they might have gotten some through Turkey).

I don't think other than Rafales we have anything in our inventory which have matching capabilities. Can a Mk1 take on F16 blk 52 with AIM 120C one on one?
A MiG21 took down a "proven" F16. An ancient, 30 year old plane. Let's be real here.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
I hope not why are we wasting time, effort, and money on upgrading Jags? The way IAF is going soon we will hear that IAF wants to upgrade Canberra's & Hunters. Can't we buy used Mirage 2K from UAE & Taiwan as replacements for JAGs if IAF can't afford new ones? I know JAGs have some low-level flying capabilities that IAF considers beneficial but that fossil of an aircraft barely flies. Upgrading JAGs is nothing but a new way of getting our pilots killed. Here is a list of Jaguar crashes for those who are interested:

Jaguar is 3rd gen ground attack aircraft which is extremely vulnerable to MANPADS .
Mirage was good 2 decades ago now it doesn't have a powerful radar or bvr missile.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag

MK1a has el2052 radar,ew suite,astra/derby er missile so it can all mk1 are supposed to be upgraded to mk1a.

Gyyan

Country flag

Might be possible to take a j10c and f16 with a mk1A with a small rcs and about 1000 trms aesa
it would be possible to take on f16s and j10c.
Screenshot_2022-12-31-21-27-44-525_com.android.chrome.png

Also I found a sexy ass pic of mk1A while looking for something.

Last edited:

Eagle Eye

Country flag
Can you tell me Why it can not take on against J10C and Blk52 ?
Pakistan also has 130+ Jf17.
we will go FULL offensive against pak. LCA load and range,not enough. Pak has "limited" offensive.

Last edited:

NutCracker

Country flag
On paper, J10C is what we want Mk2 to be. It has everything that we would like Mk2 to have e.g. weapon-carrying capacity (11 hardpoints), higher G limits, Canards, AESA radar, and P15 BVR missiles plus they have been refining it for close to 15-20 years. The RCS, ITR, STR info. are classified but one shouldn't underestimate your enemy

Since we are talking about A2A.
Canards of j-10c are not that effective for evasive maneuver. And porkies bought non TVC chinese engines.
Astra Mk2 with dual pulse will match PL-15.
Tejas also has 9 hardpoints .

I don't think Turkey is allowed to sell it to porkies.

Yes , Astra mk1 let alone MK2 is superior to Aim120c. Hopefully we might see launch vid soon.

In African expo HAL had banner showing astra mk1-2 under already inducted list with TEJAS.

silverghost

Country flag
A MiG21 took down a "proven" F16. An ancient, 30 year old plane. Let's be real here.
Mig 21 may have gotten lucky (you don't have to take my word for it, ask anybody including IAF pilots). Also, F16 Blk 52 is not ancient, most of them were pressed into service in USAF in 2002. In fact, the bulk of USAF F16s is Blk 52 & Blk 60 which are now being upgraded.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
Mig 21 may have gotten lucky (you don't have to take my word for it, ask anybody including IAF pilots). Also, F16 Blk 52 is not ancient, most of them were pressed into service in USAF in 2002. In fact, the bulk of USAF F16s is Blk 52 & Blk 60 which are now being upgraded.
How many blk52 porkies have, most of their f16 were blk 30 or something

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles