Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

johnj

The USN leads in strike packages under a blanket of HARMs. That is HARMs being fired off every 2 minutes through the duration of the strike mission, that forces enemy radars to go into degraded/switch off mode, but it doesnt mean the HARMs get kills - they do squat all.
If they switch on, then harm find it target, or else USN AF destroy SAM with AGM & PGM, both ways USN wins.
If SAM protected by advanced AD/SAM which can shoot down high speed vlo target like AGM & PGM, then this trick is not effective.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
You guys think amca by 2030 is possible?
@abingdonboy nibba, Air Force reduced Tejas Mk2 from 7 now down to 6 squadrons. :scared1:

In modern times you don't even need HARMs. Swarm attacks with cruise missiles launched from ships or submarines could get the job done quietly and without fuss, the SAM operaaors won't even see it coming.
Depends on the ISR, who is telling you where the SAM are? Regardless, ARM are still very relevant, especially those with active homing in terminal phase, like the upgraded HARM or Rudram-1.

Exactly what i meant - HARM is useless in this day and age, frequency hopping radars, ECCM and CIWS systems at the SAM site will defeat HARM.

That is, if the crews are trained accordingly. USAF Viper pilots use HARMs to make enemy radars go degraded, so other jets can come in and kill them, or alternatively, they'll fire HARMs from other sites so that enemy radars/EO sensors can scope in, exposing their location.
USAF uses a lot of stuff. Even in Gulf war, they used decoy drones to trick the Iraqis into swtiching on their SAM (earlier version of MALD) and then took them out with HARM. Then nowadays, you are saying they use HARM just to suppress and then either hit the targets or attack the radars via other means. But even then I say the upgraded HARM with MMW seeker can take out the target radar even if it tries to shut down and scoot. But then you say CIWS and decoys to defend the radar. And the ARM is still evolving and the cat and mouse game goes on, for example, what is LPI today won't be LPI tomorrow. Point is, the enemy won't always be perfectly prepared and ARM could still work as more than a decoy. Especially against enemies like Pakis.

binayak95

Country flag
Bai, samja karo
defeat a homing sensor (hint: decoy emitters and EW) is next level, here I'm talking about HARM, not atgm, or short range agm, lol, very funny, Brahmos ER is not same like SANT missile.
Better you watch the video & understand the difference b/w ir/tv missile & ARM first. Then explain to me where I'm wrong.
For your basic knowledge- AGM 65 is ir/tv guided missile & cluster munitions are dumb munitions and basically antipersonal. Also lots of countries stopped using cluster munitions, and banned by some countries.
Watching some youtube video don't make a person genius.
To understand DEAD/SEAD you need basic knowledge about different type of AD systems.
Choddo bhai.

abingdonboy

Country flag
@abingdonboy nibba, Air Force reduced Tejas Mk2 from 7 now down to 6 squadrons. :scared1:

Depends on the ISR, who is telling you where the SAM are? Regardless, ARM are still very relevant, especially those with active homing in terminal phase, like the upgraded HARM or Rudram-1.

USAF uses a lot of stuff. Even in Gulf war, they used decoy drones to trick the Iraqis into swtiching on their SAM (earlier version of MALD) and then took them out with HARM. Then nowadays, you are saying they use HARM just to suppress and then either hit the targets or attack the radars via other means. But even then I say the upgraded HARM with MMW seeker can take out the target radar even if it tries to shut down and scoot. But then you say CIWS and decoys to defend the radar. And the ARM is still evolving and the cat and mouse game goes on, for example, what is LPI today won't be LPI tomorrow. Point is, the enemy won't always be perfectly prepared and ARM could still work as more than a decoy. Especially against enemies like Pakis.
Yeah old news. In 2018 IAF said 12 LCA MK.2 squadrons. In 2022 it’s now 6

All to get their MRFA fantasy fulfilled.

I don’t know what’s worse- the IAF being this out of touch with reality of the MoD/GoI sitting by and watching this farce play out. Surely no one with any sense inside IAF/MoD/GoI actually expects 114++ MRFA to be ordered for >$30BN with the process spread out over the next 2 decades? This is Indian procurement we are talking about. How can they be so naive?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I think what he was trying to say is there will be 6 squadrons operational by 2030 and more on order ofc it's all speculations right now but it will be more than 6 definately
I admire your optimism. But this paricular IAF chief doesn't inspire any confidence. Now my only hope is this Government returns in 2024 and then force feeds IAF the Mk2.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I admire your optimism. But this paricular IAF chief doesn't inspire any confidence. Now my only hope is this Government returns in 2024 and then force feeds IAF the Mk2.
What can I say I'm a very optimistic guy trying to see positive in everything but yes agree bjp in 24 is necessary but idk if it's possible

abingdonboy

Country flag
Why can’t they force feed it in 2018? 2020? 2022? They have the largest mandate in Indian political history and they won’t tell their military subordinates the sky is blue?

there’s no leadership inside MoD,the services just do what they like and more often than not it is devoid of any sense or strategic thinking whilst GoI officials go around boasting of Indians strength

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Why can’t they force feed it in 2018? 2020? 2022? They have the largest mandate in Indian political history and they won’t tell their military subordinates the sky is blue?

there’s no leadership inside MoD,the services just do what they like and more often than not it is devoid of any sense or strategic thinking whilst GoI officials go around boasting of Indians strength
Because there is no mk2 ready for production in 2018,2020,2022

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

Bro actual force feeding can only be done at time of signing of contract. Right now even the first flight hasn't occurred. Otherwise Mk2 in its current form survived only due to this government (Parrikar ji, but he was also of this government).

10 will be procured as stated by tej bhai
Initial 6 follow on 4
Dekhte hain bhai. We can only hope.

So navy is the only one who has no plans for new uniform?
They did it long ago.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
How though?? Fighting with limited jets in a high intensity conflict especially in a two front war means there is a very severe chance of us losing air superiority over certain sectors.
By hoping 3000 black fighter jets of Allah don't take off from Pakistan

Knowitall

By hoping 3000 black fighter jets of Allah don't take off from Pakistan
If the current force projections of all 3 countries are to be followed F-16s along with j-10s and jf-17s means that pakistan will end up having numerical parity with us in squadron strength in the coming years.

Their jets while inferior along with their growing AD will be enough of a problem for us.

Add in China with their infrastructure down the line and we are looking a very serious problem.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles