Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Nobody is leasing or buying anything. It was just one very imaginative article by karnad.
All of my points and assumptions are being on the basis of that article itself. There is no official confirmation that we are buying or leasing TU-160 from the Russians.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Any idea as to how many LSP Nirbhay have been inducted?
AFAIK, DRDO received some 200 NPO Saturn 36MT engines from Russia back in 2010.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
Any idea as to how many LSP Nirbhay have been inducted?
AFAIK, DRDO received some 200 NPO Saturn 36MT engines from Russia back in 2010.

Don't know. But I feel we wasted the opportunity with Nirbhay.
We can go on iterative stage.
Block 1 - Using Russian engine, seeker and other tech from DRDO.
Block 2 - Using Manik and tech from DRDO
Block 3 - Increased Range version.

We could have developed in line with Tomahawk but we dropped it and moving to block 2 without some order for Block 1

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Is it we demonstrate Satcom in TAPAS which helps to land and take off automatically. We have the tech in our hand right now, lets say if we have functional ETOPS (Currently going to be tested), Reliable Kaveri engine and good control laws for the aircraft. We already had some building blocks. For long range application we may need to increase IRNSS systems.
EvJ315MVgAMWVYe.jpeg

Congratulations tank arjun mk1A that you are finally on your lunar trials .
Godspeed to you .

Blademaster

what do you guys think about rumors on India buying tu160 ?
Waste of time and waste of money to even try. Concentrate on getting more MKIs and upgrade them and buy LCAs in large numbers and forget the Rafales. Go for Mk2 LCAs and even Mk3s if necessary. It will solve most of IAF's needs. Going for TEDBF/ORCA will solve nearly all of IAF's wants and needs. AMCA will take care of the 5th generation gap.

GOI needs to fire the entire IAF top brass for failing to support LCA progam to full fruition.

AnantS

Country flag
India has been getting these Tu16 , Tu22 and now Tu160 buying rumor's since decades! Come on - IAF is struggling with Sukhoi Serviceability issues apparently due to sanctions, do you think India will go for Tu-160 which will quickly turn from "white swan" to "white elephant" to dead albatross around neck for India?

The only way forward is develop your own platform. RTA, UCAV's are distant but good steps towards building one near future. India needs money to Bolster no of fighting units/better training /better spare parts stocks for better serviceability for Airforce. I never understood Why not build something around Al31F's! You don't need to build a complex RSS, unstable design. Just a simple bomb truck.

If Armed forces still indulge in buying white elephants over increasing fighting edge of common soldier/pilot, the I am sorry we are far away from being taken seriously.

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
I haven't followed this topic at all. Tu-160 is a beautiful plane, but this guy is correct:

India has been getting these Tu16 , Tu22 and now Tu160 buying rumor's since decades! Come on - IAF is struggling with Sukhoi Serviceability issues apparently due to sanctions, do you think India will go for Tu-160 which will quickly turn from "white swan" to "white elephant" to dead albatross around neck for India?

The only way forward is develop your own platform. RTA, UCAV's are distant but good steps towards building one near future. India needs money to Bolster no of Airforce. I never understood Why not build something around Al31F's! You don't need to build a complex RSS, unstable design. Just a simple bomb truck.

If Armed forces still indulge in buying white elephants over increasing fighting edge of common soldier/pilot, the I am sorry we are far away from being taken.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Don't know. But I feel we wasted the opportunity with Nirbhay.
We can go on iterative stage.
Block 1 - Using Russian engine, seeker and other tech from DRDO.
Block 2 - Using Manik and tech from DRDO
Block 3 - Increased Range version.

We could have developed in line with Tomahawk but we dropped it and moving to block 2 without some order for Block 1
From what I know, Nirbhay is already operational in limited quantities with the Indian Army.
This is the Block 1 Nirbhay.
For Block 2, the range has already been increased to 1500km from 1000km as the Manik engine is turbofan engine compared to the NPO Saturn turbojet engine making it more efficient.
I guess Block 3 will be LRLACM which is a completely different missile compared to Nirbhay.

IndianHawk

Country flag

The only way forward is develop your own platform. RTA, UCAV's are distant but good steps towards building one near future. India needs money to Bolster no of fighting units/better training /better spare parts stocks for better serviceability for Airforce. I never understood Why not build something around Al31F's! You don't need to build a complex RSS, unstable design. Just a simple bomb truck.

If Armed forces still indulge in buying white elephants over increasing fighting edge of common soldier/pilot, the I am sorry we are far away from being taken seriously.
Not armed forces. PMO is steering this thing for strategic triad. One logic I heard is that it will free up tactical aircraft from nuke delivery role.

Anyway enough discussion on this already let's wait for some concrete info.

AnantS

Country flag
Not armed forces. PMO is steering this thing for strategic triad. One logic I heard is that it will free up tactical aircraft from nuke delivery role.

Anyway enough discussion on this already let's wait for some concrete info.
:D Mate its a pie in sky. PMO have much better options for nuke delivery right now, than a white elephant.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles