Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

tribendra bisoi..

Country flag
How mk1 and mk1A on the same value ? I suppose it values cost percentage . Engine might be taking a big pie . But given we have developed AESA radar it should be more .

2018 news report for mk1 -

Indigenous content of Tejas 59.7% by value & 75.5% by numbers

Last edited:

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

Ex-ACM BS Dhanoa's opinion regarding the Mig-21 crash.
  • Blames govt. slow MMRCA process.
  • Says a lot of bureaucracy hurdles, this has led to piecemeal order of 2 Sqn. of Rafales and 2 Sqn. of LCA Tejas.
  • Says we cannot just phase out Mig-21 due to our falling sqn. numbers.
  • Refutes high crash rates of Mig-21, says this is because IAF just had more Mig-21, hence there were more crashes.

jai jaganath

Country flag

• Says a lot of bureaucracy hurdles, this has led to piecemeal order of 2 Sqn. of Rafales and 2 Sqn. of LCA Tejas.
  • Refutes high crash rates of Mig-21, says this is because IAF just had more Mig-21, hence there were more crashes.
My question is okay we can't make hal to deliver mk1a earlier as they have clearly said 3 years
But if iaf is serious then could it grant more money in order to increase the production capacity per year
As the no of aircraft produced per year depends upon money spent if they give more money then they can increase the production
And also provide money for more orders of mk1a to be completed in the remaining time i.e as 83 could be delivered earlier the alloted time which will be remaining could be used for manufacturing extra mk1a

Possibility?

binayak95

Country flag

The last point is actually true, if you look at the statistics, the worst period for crashes was the 90s, when MiG 21s were put in as LIFT. No Hawks and Kirans were not enough; that said, every crash, ever pilot lost is a shameful tragedy that must be avoided at all costs - without compromising on training. A hard thing to balance.

HitmanBlood

Country flag

Disappointed with answers.

Why is he saying there is no replacement for Bisons? Didn't we developed Tejas program just to replace them? Why is Air Force asking for MK1A? just buy base tejas in numbers. That platform is already available.

Why is he dragging MMRCA into this? Are they planning to replace Bisons with Rafales? If not what is point of bringing it into this conversation? Are they using this tragedy to push MMRCA deal?

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Disappointed with answers.

Why is he saying there is no replacement for Bisons? Didn't we developed Tejas program just to replace them? Why is Air Force asking for MK1A? just buy base tejas in numbers. That platform is already available.

Why is he dragging MMRCA into this? Are they planning to replace Bisons with Rafales? If not what is point of bringing it into this conversation? Are they using this tragedy to push MMRCA deal?
He said there had been no orders, either for MMRCA or Tejas. It is understood that Tejas took some time to mature but if the MMRCA deal was done as scheduled (in 2014), we could have started phasing out Mig-21s by now.

Also now that the Tejas has matured and the order is placed, I think we will see more follow-up orders for replacing Mig-21s.

My question is okay we can't make hal to deliver mk1a earlier as they have clearly said 3 years
But if iaf is serious then could it grant more money in order to increase the production capacity per year

As the no of aircraft produced per year depends upon money spent if they give more money then they can increase the production
And also provide money for more orders of mk1a to be completed in the remaining time i.e as 83 could be delivered earlier the alloted time which will be remaining could be used for manufacturing extra mk1a

Possibility?
Honestly speaking, this notion that more money = faster order for HAL Tejas is our speculation only. It is possible that HAL stated a minimum timeframe required (to set up the supply chain and select vendors), below which it is not possible for them to manufacture Tejas en-masse.

radion

Country flag

Possibility?
hal produces 8, can do 16 and can do 20 if exports.
1659361095370.png

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian armed forces buy 76 TAPAS combat drones, first delivery by 2023

By 2023, TAPAS combat drones will be introduced into the Indian military. A total of 76 TAPAS UCAV will deliver to all three branches of the Indian armed force.

Few days back it was reported that Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will start working on producing six airframes to conduct evaluation trials of the TAPAS BH-201 drone, which will be used for missions by the armed forces. The airframe is the basic structure of the drone or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and includes its wings, tail, and main body.

Confirming the development to The Indian Express, chairman and managing director of HAL, R Madhavan said, “We are now going to make some more airframes for TAPAS. Six airframes will be made for the user evaluation trials. This is a joint project by HAL and DRDO. TAPAS has to reach 30,000 feet which it has almost reached and has proven the endurance (hours spent in the sky) of more than 16 hours. Once the airframes are put to user trials, the production will start.” In March this year, DRDO chairman G Satheesh Reddy said TAPAS had reached a flying altitude of 28,000 feet.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

MMRCA ! Again ! So now MiG21 crash and dwindling sqdn no. is due to slow MMRCA but not IAFs reluctance to order 300+ LCA ?.WTF ! Absolutely retarded thinking, how did he become air chief ? Chandigarh lobby connections i bet. And still sticks to "cannot phase out mig21" ! I am sorry but this dhanoa and all the existing and past air chiefs have blood on their hands

JohnWick

Country flag
I am sorry but this dhanoa and all the existing and past air chiefs have blood on their hands
Whats even more sad or should i say pathetic is he blames the IAF pilots indirectly,
"“200-plus pilots have been killed in [MiG-21] crashes. They are supposed to eject. Why did they not eject? That is what pains me,”" said Dhanoa

BS Dhanoa also refutes high crash rates of Mig-21, says this is because IAF just had more Mig-21, hence there were more crashes.
"874 MiG-21 fighter variants that entered IAF service since 1963, more than 400 – or almost half the overall number – were lost to crashes"
According to BS Dhanoa close to 50% crash rate is not a big deal.

Now for the real reason for not phasing out MIG-21 which BS Dhanoa fails to mention
"The Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project was designed to provide a large number of light, inexpensive fighters that would replace the MiG-21. But instead of working hand-in-glove with the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) to develop and certify the Tejas, the IAF kept demanding greater capabilities from the Tejas, leading to cascading delays in bringing the indigenous fighter into service "

Instead of fast tracking the induction of tejas the IAF kept moving the goal post and now our pilots and the nation in general are paying the price.

Inshort BS Dhanoa is only good for spewing BS

jai jaganath

Country flag
Whats even more sad or should i say pathetic is he blames the IAF pilots indirectly,
"“200-plus pilots have been killed in [MiG-21] crashes. They are supposed to eject. Why did they not eject? That is what pains me,”" said Dhanoa

BS Dhanoa also refutes high crash rates of Mig-21, says this is because IAF just had more Mig-21, hence there were more crashes.
"874 MiG-21 fighter variants that entered IAF service since 1963, more than 400 – or almost half the overall number – were lost to crashes"
According to BS Dhanoa close to 50% crash rate is not a big deal.

Now for the real reason for not phasing out MIG-21 which BS Dhanoa fails to mention
"The Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project was designed to provide a large number of light, inexpensive fighters that would replace the MiG-21. But instead of working hand-in-glove with the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) to develop and certify the Tejas, the IAF kept demanding greater capabilities from the Tejas, leading to cascading delays in bringing the indigenous fighter into service "

Instead of fast tracking the induction of tejas the IAF kept moving the goal post and now our pilots and the nation in general are paying the price.

Inshort BS Dhanoa is only good for spewing BS
I would say until now and on the basis of my current knowledge the best iaf chief on basis of indigenization is rks bhaduria
I would love if he takes up as cds
But I don't know why that post is empty

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles