Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

maximus777

Country flag
I am very curious to see how these J-10C will Look in the Pakistan Day Parade's Flypast which is touted to happen on 23rd March. Pakistan was Negotiating for J-10 as far back as 2006 around during the Musharraf era.

I always wonder though to myself :- "How the Heck did Pakistan manage to afford that many J-10? Where is the money coming from?"
From mujra performances in PLA kothe

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Also IAF "Let's buy expensive foreign goodies without any strategic advantage. Let's not support domestic industry as foreign brands are status symbol."
IAF has always been the least prepared of all the 3 branches.

IAF asked for Mirage 2k rightaway in 90s itself denied.... They said it then... We need it else won't be able to maintain the squadron numbers.

Now what we are seeing us exactly what they told us will happen if we don't buy Mirage 2k.

What do you expect them to do?

There was nothing that domestic industry offered
in terms of fighter jet...

Don't start shouting Tejas Tejas it's been decades listening to that.

Spitfire9

Country flag
IAF asked for Mirage 2k rightaway in 90s itself denied.... They said it then... We need it else won't be able to maintain the squadron numbers.

Now what we are seeing us exactly what they told us will happen if we don't buy Mirage 2k.

What do you expect them to do?

There was nothing that domestic industry offered
in terms of fighter jet...

Don't start shouting Tejas Tejas it's been decades listening to that.
In 1990's there was no Indian alternative. Now there are potential alternatives. Tejas: I am guided by many contributors who say that IAF does not want more than the number ordered. Good little fighter IMO but with short range and load carrying capacity (because it's an LCA).

Mk2 has greater potential IMO. Looks to be useful but I think it is hampered by being made in a country where procurement and production are tied up in all sorts of Indian knots.

Realistically, is there a high degree of confidence that will Mk2 be produced in the numbers required and in the time required by IAF? If not, I would support an emergency purchase of fighters from countries that do not suffer from the problems that India has and will not address and solve.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
In 1990's there was no Indian alternative. Now there are potential alternatives. Tejas: I am guided by many contributors who say that IAF does not want more than the number ordered. Good little fighter IMO but with short range and load carrying capacity (because it's an LCA).

Mk2 has greater potential IMO. Looks to be useful but I think it is hampered by being made in a country where procurement and production are tied up in all sorts of Indian knots.

Realistically, is there a high degree of confidence that will Mk2 be produced in the numbers required and in the time required by IAF? If not, I would support an emergency purchase of fighters from countries that do not suffer from the problems that India has and will not address and solve.

Mk2 is years away for now....and during this period IAF will suffer from low sqd strength no matter what.

The only short term solution is to get those 21 Mig 29 2-3 Rafale sqd and upgrade Sukhoi.

If we were smart would have ordered 4-5 sqd of Mirage or Mig 29 long back or start production line of any of these instead of Jags etc as it was clearly visible IAF won't be able to maintain the sqd strength otherwise.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Mk2 is years away for now....and during this period IAF will suffer from low sqd strength no matter what.

The only short term solution is to get those 21 Mig 29 2-3 Rafale sqd and upgrade Sukhoi.

If we were smart would have ordered 4-5 sqd of Mirage or Mig 29 long back or start production line of any of these instead of Jags etc as it was clearly visible IAF won't be able to maintain the sqd strength otherwise.
If they were smart GoI would have changed many things many years ago. About those MiG-29's, is India going to keep dithering around or buy the things?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
If they were smart GoI would have changed many things many years ago. About those MiG-29's, is India going to keep dithering around or buy the things?
Until we get another shocker .... I think PAF getting J-10 has woke up some IAF officers soon they'll have 30-50 of those in 2-3 years

but our babulog will keep delaying it .... Not even Rafales are ordered yet we are fcuked up.

Covfefe

Country flag
Until we get another shocker .... I think PAF getting J-10 has woke up some IAF officers soon they'll have 30-50 of those in 2-3 years

but our babulog will keep delaying it .... Not even Rafales are ordered yet we are fcuked up.
We lost a gem in Manohar Parrikar. Modi only has so many good ministers. Somebody like the current service Def Secy Ajay Kumar even as MoS for defence would be great. Not Rajnath Mama's cup of tea

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

That's what I am saying we have lost the time and our establishment knows it very well and point is situation is so grim that even urgency now won't show much effect 😕
We have opened the window for our enemies to make adventures and nothing can be done know its a 5-6 year window even if we do anything know we can see its effect after 5-6 years
Now only diplomacy and compromise can save us

Flying Dagger

Country flag
That's what I am saying we have lost the time and our establishment knows it very well and point is situation is so grim that even urgency now won't show much effect 😕
We have opened the window for our enemies to make adventures and nothing can be done know its a 5-6 year window even if we do anything know we can see its effect after 5-6 years
Now only diplomacy and compromise can save us
The grim situation could have been made better by opting for non interrupted Rafale delivery and Mig 29 option.

But our establishment is still hibernating that's it.

Unfortunately even now they haven't done anything... After Feb 19 it's been 3 years.

They are sleeping over Mig 29 or another batch of Rafale.

Rafale can single handidly provide us First strike and defence advantage for now.

Look at Ka 226 T deal.. going on for decade plus..

Rifle deal Tank etc everything just put on backburner.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The grim situation could have been made better by opting for non interrupted Rafale delivery and Mig 29 option.

But our establishment is still hibernating that's it.

Unfortunately even now they haven't done anything... After Feb 19 it's been 3 years.

They are sleeping over Mig 29 or another batch of Rafale.

Rafale can single handidly provide us First strike and defence advantage for now.

Look at Ka 226 T deal.. going on for decade plus..

Rifle deal Tank etc everything just put on backburner.
Yeah it has become so bad that we have to think twice or thrice to fight if we are being challenged as our airforce is in it's worst period in history wrt enemies we have today
Even another batch of Rafales won't come before 2028 if orders are placed today

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

If IAF wants to address the squadron shortfall, it always has the option to order more Tejas Mk1A, another 40-50 would be great for bolstering its fleet.
But No, squadron strength can only be increased with gold plated imports, with this mindset, IAF will get nowhere.

Spitfire9

Country flag
It is a shame that early tranche 1 UK and German Typhoons are not the same. India might have been able to buy enough to stand up 4-5 squadrons at a very good price in short order. Would have been good to fill the fighter numbers gap up to the 2030's.

Covfefe

Country flag
If IAF wants to address the squadron shortfall, it always has the option to order more Tejas Mk1A, another 40-50 would be great for bolstering its fleet.
But No, squadron strength can only be increased with gold plated imports, with this mindset, IAF will get nowhere.
Or mirages from UAE

Covfefe

Country flag
Only if the UAE is going to put them up for sale, also the UAE M2000 will need to be first upgraded with India specific requirements which will be an expensive affair(We paid $52 million for each Mirage upgrade, whereas a Tejas Mk1A costs $39 million).
Read on this forum that they are the most upgraded ones. Only India specific comm systems and IFF will need to be put in. UAE has been looking for buyers and Morocco was keen to buy

Covfefe

Country flag
Yes, they ordered over 50, I think. Didn't India talk to UAE about buying them some years ago or was it Qatar?
About India taking to UAE or Qatar, didn't find anything in media. Only 24 Mirages as for spare cannibalism were acquired from the French

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles