Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

FalconZero

Country flag
Microsoft ! virus ? insecure os ? Babus will ruin opsec
Don't worry about getting infected with malwares these are closed loop systems, all connectivity part is Airgaped, unless NSA ( USA version) try to infiltrate through air gap bridging type attacks these systems are pretty much secured
He is right tho, it's hilarious that our state and Indian governments and not even military is invested in creating a linux fork for work. This should be the basic priority as of now.

US military iirc was thinking about using microsoft azure services for their projects but amazon came with lawsuits i don't know what happened but microsoft works closely with american military, hololense is another example.

If i remember correctly, some state governments like TN and Kerala are using some forks of linux but not sure. We need to invest in that. Tata has a linux fork too.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Since frenchies will now play hard ball ..I guess now UNAF chief will work with Navy and sign F18 block 3 ..
I hated when members would call IAF UN air force but now I really think they deserve it.we had every chance in these years of getting more rafales when french were not finding orders but now with the UAE deal and also more deals incoming this is just another mirage 2000 cluster ****

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Y'all Nibbiars , some where we have to compensate for the purchase of s 400and not only it but many more defnese deals with Russia .
Hence for the first time a American fighter will come also , I say it today .
Now the IAF will buy f 15 ex or f 18.

JBH22

Y'all Nibbiars , some where we have to compensate for the purchase of s 400and not only it but many more defnese deals with Russia .
Hence for the first time a American fighter will come also , I say it today .
Now the IAF will buy f 15 ex or f 18.
Buying these legacy fighters would be the greatest mistake our security establishment will do. Salaa you pay then big bucks and they shove end user agreement in your butt.
S 400 deal was a sovereign decision and in all fairness the legacy fighters do not provide any incremental improvement over existing sukhoi fleet.
I hope we go for more Rafales. Btw there are rumours of IAF doing away with tejas Mk2?

Cheran

Country flag
Interesting part abt #Mirage2000’s tyre getting stolen from a truck in Lucknow is—there wr 8 other goods on truck. Whoever came in the scorpio to steal it—knew abt it. Y would anyone steal the tyre, which they can not fit to anything else? Tyres wr being sent to #Jodhpur base.
This is a targeted robbery. Does any one know from where these tyres are procured from?. Were they imported? Or was it manufactured locally? What would be the time frame for these to be re-imported or rebuilt? I was under the impression that AF parts would be delivered in a more "professional" manner i.e. not in any random inter state truck.

Covfefe

Country flag
This is a targeted robbery. Does any one know from where these tyres are procured from?. Were they imported? Or was it manufactured locally? What would be the time frame for these to be re-imported or rebuilt? I was under the impression that AF parts would be delivered in a more "professional" manner i.e. not in any random inter state truck.
It was just one tyre. No point in trying to steal it knowingly, easily available in international market

destructodisc

Country flag
He is right tho, it's hilarious that our state and Indian governments and not even military is invested in creating a linux fork for work. This should be the basic priority as of now.

US military iirc was thinking about using microsoft azure services for their projects but amazon came with lawsuits i don't know what happened but microsoft works closely with american military, hololense is another example.

If i remember correctly, some state governments like TN and Kerala are using some forks of linux but not sure. We need to invest in that. Tata has a linux fork too.
CDAC has already have a distro, its called BOSS.

1. Linux is not user friendly and people in our country are not made familiar with it. Even the kids in our schools are 'UI ke deewane..Click Click Click'.
2. Although Linux is secure but Security is not just about what OS you are using.

FalconZero

Country flag
CDAC has already have a distro, its called BOSS.

1. Linux is not user friendly and people in our country are not made familiar with it. Even the kids in our schools are 'UI ke deewane..Click Click Click'.
2. Although Linux is secure but Security is not just about what OS you are using.
Thanks but i am actually aware of BOSS and really not a fan of it, but i never installed it so downloading and will update once i install it on my vm and boi it's bloated af, 3gb lmao. Let's see.

Also, I didn't know we had a national level FOSS initiative, only state that is doing something in that direction is Kerala, sad.

They are providing some cloud services but i am too tired to check rn.

rone

Country flag

to be honest i am more of a windows guys, having customized Linux distro wont give us magic bullet against possible data breach, i use both Linux and windows for my day to day work, if you considering easy integration and high level dependency support for your development you may have to consider windows and for flexibility and ease of deployment you may have to use Linux's, also linux wont get infected with malware its pure joke by default Linux have all cross platform malware dependency from get go ( java & python ) where in windows at least you have to install some dependency by your self so if your propriety software wont need these dependency you almost saved from large scale non targeted attacks, i mean i love to talk about Operating system and security but i think this is not the post, so in conclusion Government prefer windows because it was easy to integrate to the existing working ecosystem

ps: my set up for advisory simulation ( where host os is windows help me for exploits and tool development and Linux base cloud system used as front line deployments server )
setup.PNG

FalconZero

Country flag
to be honest i am more of a windows guys, having customized Linux distro wont give us magic bullet against possible data breach, i use both Linux and windows for my day to day work, if you considering easy integration and high level dependency support for your development you may have to consider windows and for flexibility and ease of deployment you may have to use Linux's, also linux wont get infected with malware its pure joke by default Linux have all cross platform malware dependency from get go ( java & python ) where in windows at least you have to install some dependency by your self so if your propriety software wont need these dependency you almost saved from large scale non targeted attacks, i mean i love to talk about Operating system and security but i think this is not the post, so in conclusion Government prefer windows because it was easy to integrate to the existing working ecosystem

ps: my set up for advisory simulation ( where host os is windows help me for exploits and tool development and Linux base cloud system used as front line deployments server )
View attachment 123387
By customization i didn't mean just appearance, more of a control way. Like if you have seen the fork of arch linux for steam deck and so on, they can create a specialized OS (fork of linux or any existing distro) and create their own software suite around it.
Since they are going to create their own software, clearly many of which they will not be importing specialized for particular job then why not do it for a their linux based distro, they can control everything on that. Disagree with 'permission' part, only those who can't read will be clicking on 'yes to all' sort of thing.
For office desk, maybe even os like BOSS (even though i don't like it, i was testing it in the morning, just a debian clone with cinnamon DE and some their own icons which i have done when i was in 1st year of my college so no big deal, they do provide some open source tools, even one for object detection kek, haven't checked it).
Still it takes up around 700mb of memory, not bad but it could have been better. I don't know why i was expecting a bit more. Their mirror list needs to be updated, few packages which are important i couldn't find it.
This is BOSS, usable since it's a fork of debian not much changes, gnome-terminal kek.
Also, why are you using Kali?
1638757900943.png

FalconZero

Country flag
By customization i didn't mean just appearance, more of a control way. Like if you have seen the fork of arch linux for steam deck and so on, they can create a specialized OS (fork of linux or any existing distro) and create their own software suite around it.
Since they are going to create their own software, clearly many of which they will not be importing specialized for particular job then why not do it for a their linux based distro, they can control everything on that. Disagree with 'permission' part, only those who can't read will be clicking on 'yes to all' sort of thing.
For office desk, maybe even os like BOSS (even though i don't like it, i was testing it in the morning, just a debian clone with cinnamon DE and some their own icons which i have done when i was in 1st year of my college so no big deal, they do provide some open source tools, even one for object detection kek, haven't checked it).
Still it takes up around 700mb of memory, not bad but it could have been better. I don't know why i was expecting a bit more. Their mirror list needs to be updated, few packages which are important i couldn't find it.
This is BOSS, usable since it's a fork of debian not much changes, gnome-terminal kek.
View attachment 123389
Also, forgot to add most important point that no matter how much you disable 'services' in microsoft, still trusting them should be out of question. Backdoors are less of a problem, i doubt they are 'air gaping' those thousands of computers operating on MS OS, with windows 11 it will be worse. I doubt any single person cares about what services are running on their system, also, for the fact that many of them are probably using some windows server on top of that.

With their new dick-swinging with TPM 2.0 support, it couldn't be the most apt time for transitioning to a free alternative, hell they should work on creating one and make it default across India. In every government school, gnu/linux should be the goto os, not ms or anything.

Most of the things that kids require are already available, hell i think we should actively work on creating OS which could be more kids friendly, good for students.

rone

Country flag
View attachment 123389
using kali for adversary simulation

Tridev123

Country flag
While I agree that steps to turn Kaveri into a useable engine for Tejas Mk1 should have been taken, is there any point now? The only application would be Tejas and by the time it went into production most Tejas would have already been built. It would not have sufficient thrust to power Mk2 or TEDBF.

If it could be modified to F414 thrust level then I could see the viability in it being used to power ~200 fighters. More if Mk2 got export orders. Otherwise I think it better to focus on a JV 110kN engine with scope for growth in thrust.
There is no dichotomy between my and your views on the Kaveri.
When I spoke of the Kaveri engine I also included its successors, the K9 and K10 engines(planned).
I think all of us would agree that whatever knowledge we have on turbofan engines
is a consequence of the research and development carried out by GTRE on the Kaveri.

The Kaveri engine programme provides the base for future upgradation. Even if we design a new core, that endeavour will be drawing on the lessons we learnt while designing the Kabini core for the original Kaveri. Maybe telling us what not to do and what to do. If some design errors were present in the Kabini core, we will try to avoid them. Learning from experience.

So we cannot be rejecting the Kaveri 100% and hope to succeed with a new non GTRE entity undertaking the work of designing an 110kn engine. The odds would be rather high against it.

If we wish to make an meaningful technological contribution to the proposed joint venture (with Saffran or Rolls Royce) for realising an high output turbofan engine then we will have to leverage the knowledge base we have gained from the development of the Kaveri.

Else if either Rolls Royce or Snecma/Saffran will do the designing 100% and we contribute zilch, then there is nothing more to say.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Trolling?
This is not trolling but a plain stupidity from Indian side. In fact these trolling being done for a purpose.

Russia is only true friend of India. Despite of 50% dependency, Russia never black mail India how to run our foreign policy, Russia always offers latest technologies without if’s and but’s and even favouring India during India-China conflict at LAC.

American CAATCA is discriminatory and interfering others foreign policies.

I will suggest please visit Russia then you will realise what India-Russia friendship means. I have personal experience which I wouldn’t like to bring in here. Only problem Russian is they don’t know English hence poor communication to outer world.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles