Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

pipebomb

Country flag
I apologise if this has already been discussed. So i had been lurking in brf and came across this new info on 27th feb air battle. In the book named 'balakot airstrike: how india avenged Pulwama' by manan bhatt it has been mentioned that the sole mki(codenamed Avenger 1) fired its cannon in direction of f-16.

This is mind boggling imho, that an air superiority fighter with one of the most powerful air intercept radar had to depend on its gun without firing any of its missiles (both bvr & wvr).

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Fire the editor. Cringe .
What? I thought this was one of the coolest videos! What exactly is cringe here?

You want them always going boom boom?

I apologise if this has already been discussed. So i had been lurking in brf and came across this new info on 27th feb air battle. In the book named 'balakot airstrike: how india avenged Pulwama' by manan bhatt it has been mentioned that the sole mki(codenamed Avenger 1) fired its cannon in direction of f-16.

This is mind boggling imho, that an air superiority fighter with one of the most powerful air intercept radar had to depend on its gun without firing any of its missiles (both bvr & wvr).
One thing I came to conclusion about the 27th Feb air battle is, no one has presented a clear picture of what happened. You hear different conflicting tidbits from different sources.

And why do you think firing a gun is inferior? If the adversary was engaged with guns, it means they were in a very close WVR situation where short-range IR missiles (R-73) minimum range was not met. Guns are there for a purpose, right?

pipebomb

Country flag
What? I thought this was one of the coolest videos! What exactly is cringe here?

One thing I came to conclusion about the 27th Feb air battle is, no one has presented a clear picture of what happened. You hear different conflicting tidbits from different sources.

And why do you think firing a gun is inferior? If the adversary was engaged with guns, it means they were in a very close WVR situation where short-range IR missiles (R-73) minimum range was not met. Guns are there for a purpose, right?
Guns should be last resort for air combat after one runs out of missiles. However guns are good option against slow uavs

ClawReed787

Country flag

Not the video. The Americans chatting.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Guns should be last resort for air combat after one runs out of missiles. However guns are good option against slow uavs
There is nothing as such. Proper weapons are used according to the situation, i.e., a "firing solution" according to the situation.

Read this article, this is I think the closest description of what exactly happened on 27th Feb.

10:03 AM: One Indian Air Force Sukhoi Su-30 and one MiG-21 Bison engage this F-16 in a dogfight manoeuvre called "defensive split". The two Indian jets trap the Pakistani jet in between them -- the MiG 21 flies in front while the Su-30 chases the F-16 from behind, firing at it. The F-16 is forced to flee using a dog fight manoeuvre called "wingover".
Basically it was like this -

<----- Mig-21 <----- F-16 <------- Su-30MKI

So in close-quarter WVR becomes a close-furball, shooting an IR missile from Su-30MKI can un-intentionally acquire a lock on the Mig-21.

So let's not make armchair comments.

Also, guns are not a good match-up against small & slow-moving UAVs. It is extremely hard to shoot down a small/medium UAV using A2A guns. Ground-based AA guns and helicopters are better.

pipebomb

Country flag
There is nothing as such. Proper weapons are used according to the situation, i.e., a "firing solution" according to the situation.

Read this article, this is I think the closest description of what exactly happened on 27th Feb.

Basically it was like this -

<----- Mig-21 <----- F-16 <------- Su-30MKI

So in close-quarter WVR becomes a close-furball, shooting an IR missile from Su-30MKI can un-intentionally acquire a lock on the Mig-21.

So let's not make armchair comments.

Also, guns are not a good match-up against small & slow-moving UAVs. It is extremely hard to shoot down a small/medium UAV using A2A guns. Ground-based AA guns and helicopters are better.
Ok i see my folly on fast moving jet trying to shoot slow uav, i give you that but still not convinced on mki not getting a missile firing solution especially a modern wvr missile. We had a rough/macro view of what unfolded on 27th feb's morning but its far from clear. Lets hope more info come on this in future

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Ok i see my folly on fast moving jet trying to shoot slow uav, i give you that but still not convinced on mki not getting a missile firing solution especially a modern wvr missile. We had a rough/macro view of what unfolded on 27th feb's morning but its far from clear. Lets hope more info come on this in future
We actually know nothing of what happened. This Feb 27th, Sameer Joshi (retd. pilot and entrepreneur), tweeted that M2000s had BVR exchanges with JF-17s and Su30MKIs with F-16s.

It is not sure how many missiles were actually fired, it is entirely possible we fired missiles on PAF ingressing jets but none hit them.

And I don't think we will ever get a full picture of what transpired, only tidbits here and there in the biography of pilots/ACMs.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
IAF gets two Mirage 2000 fighters from France to strengthen combat aircraft fleet
Read more At:

IndianHawk

Country flag
IAF gets two Mirage 2000 fighters from France to strengthen combat aircraft fleet
Read more At:
Well this is big news and welcome capability addition.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Thank you UNAF, You never disappoint us. Bravo✌. more power to you ✌ Go Gal go:rofl::rofl:

They could have ordered a whole extra squadron of Tejas instead of kept busy in blaming and crying, but you know the habit die hard

Finally World came to know about United Nations AF love toward junk/qawad import.
Now other countries has started offering jung/retiring weaponry to us officially.

Kutte ko kitna bhi mithai khilao lekin vo padosh ka jhootha dustbin chatne jaroor jayega.... This is the present mentality of our beloved Armed forces.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Well done, Person who even forget name "Tejas" during his all speeches will promote Tejas for Egypt.

MoD must send someone with him to remind him word Tejas on every 30minutes.
Yeah, at least they are sending a professional, well-respected man who dedicated his life fighting for his country.

Thank god they are not sending a khaini-rubbing HAL representative, who will accidentally sell Vimal and Communism instead to Egypt.

mokoman

Country flag
We actually know nothing of what happened. This Feb 27th, Sameer Joshi (retd. pilot and entrepreneur), tweeted that M2000s had BVR exchanges with JF-17s and Su30MKIs with F-16s.

It is not sure how many missiles were actually fired, it is entirely possible we fired missiles on PAF ingressing jets but none hit them.

And I don't think we will ever get a full picture of what transpired, only tidbits here and there in the biography of pilots/ACMs.
would take comments by Joshi on balakot and feb 27 with a bit of salt .

his article on balakot bombing was pure nonsense.

Well done, Person who even forget name "Tejas" during his all speeches will promote Tejas for Egypt.

MoD must send someone with him to remind him word Tejas on every 30minutes.
really ? , air chief doesnt know of tejas ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles