Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Kartooz

Country flag
Would you like to expand on this relating to il112v,c27j, c295 aircraft
I am no expert on the matter but what I can guess is that the first thing that would persuade or dissuade the IAF is the price of the damn things. Secondly, the willingness of the manufacturer to set up shop in India to manufacture more than half of the airframes.
The commonality of pilots and engineers is more of an issue if they were ordering just 2-3 of these aircraft, but they are ordering 56. That is a sizeable fleet of aircraft. When i say that one size doesn't fit all, i mean that if you have 5 passengers - you would call for an Innova and not book a damn bus. Avros have a very different role in the IAF.
It's also not feasible to order hundreds of C130s which would cost us a premium.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Jamnagar AFS has both jags and mig 29s .
Although occasionally one could see mig 21s also but mostly it was mig 29s and jags .
Mig 29s when took off , we in the school could see planes after planes and when they took a sharp turn , it was damn beautiful.
I have seen mirage 2000s only once in all 4 years I spent there, when you live in a town which has a airbase it might be that there is a flight path above your house, like it was for us there.
Seeing them both in the school and out of the window at home was something I will miss my whole life

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Can it carry vehicle cargo ? if not why. Is it too big of an ask. il112 or c27j surely can, what advantage c295 has over the mentioned aircrafts. Why IAF need 4 engined c-130(with significantly higher operating cost) to haul vehicle cargo
None of the aircraft C295 is envisaged to replace i.e. Avro or An 32 is used for moving vehicles. So I don't think that was part of consideration for selecting their replacement.

Question is, do IAF even carry vehicles in regular basis? And if not, for the rare instances or emergencies IL-76/78s or C17s are there for the role and can haul more in a single sortie and of course there are C130J.

India is well connected via rail networks that I don't think we airlift small military vehicles everywhere.

Anyhow, it is the matter of best fit for the planned role. We sure don't know what are the offerings and what are the parameters that made C295 the winner. So, picking out a flaw that might not even matter to the role it is supposed to perform, isn't a fare way to look at things.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Let me talk about the conclusion, the abilities of the two are similar,
Turkey
240 F16 block52
40 F4Es (this one has been upgraded and can use aim120)
4 E737 early warning aircraft,
7 KC135 tankers
India
254 su30mki
40 M2000
50 mig29
There are a lot more, mig21
mig29 is basically useless, still at the level of 1980s, not upgraded
su30mki I don’t think I can beat F16block52, mainly because of radar and R77 issues.
4 A50
6 IL 78
For the Rafale fighter, we think the performance is similar to that of F16V.
What a great way to start my day by laughing off to some unadulterated BS
Mig 29 is useless and unupgraded, Rafale performance is similar to F-16V, looks like Afghani weed has found many takers in China

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
None of the aircraft C295 is envisaged to replace i.e. Avro or An 32 is used for moving vehicles. So I don't think that was part of consideration for selecting their replacement.

Question is, do IAF even carry vehicles in regular basis? And if not, for the rare instances or emergencies IL-76/78s or C17s are there for the role and can haul more in a single sortie and of course there are C130J.

India is well connected via rail networks that I don't think we airlift small military vehicles everywhere.

Anyhow, it is the matter of best fit for the planned role. We sure don't know what are the offerings and what are the parameters that made C295 the winner. So, picking out a flaw that might not even matter to the role it is supposed to perform, isn't a fare way to look at things.
As long as it can carry the Fast Attack Vehicle of the Para SF (Force Gurkha) in a pallet form, rigged for airdrop, it should be fine. Its a utility transport after all. C-295 can carry more troops and stretchers, more container pallets than C-27J Spartan because its cabin, though less in diameter, is longer.
In this C-295, the vehicle is not on a pallet though, so can't really airdrop it:-

pipebomb

Country flag
I am no expert on the matter but what I can guess is that the first thing that would persuade or dissuade the IAF is the price of the damn things. Secondly, the willingness of the manufacturer to set up shop in India to manufacture more than half of the airframes.
The commonality of pilots and engineers is more of an issue if they were ordering just 2-3 of these aircraft, but they are ordering 56. That is a sizeable fleet of aircraft. When i say that one size doesn't fit all, i mean that if you have 5 passengers - you would call for an Innova and not book a damn bus. Avros have a very different role in the IAF.
It's also not feasible to order hundreds of C130s which would cost us a premium.
All the three aircraft (c295, il112v, c27j) are twin engine turboprop, they should have comparable operating cost.

To my knowledge IAF never shown interest in il112v or c27j, so question of setting shop would arrive after there is interest/enquiry from IAF.

Who suggested to buy hundreds of c130s ? I was suggesting that IAF limits tranport fleet to 3-4 aircraft types (Dornier 228, il112v/c27j, a400m, c17/c5/an124) which would cover the entire spectrum of lifting needs(a330 mrtt could chip in time to time)

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I may be new to this forum, but I certainly am not new to this Earth. Now that you have already described to me what kind of a person you are, I already understand that there is no point in trying to reason with extremists like you. And no, you are not savage. There was nothing savage about that disgusting post.

You are a brainwashed idiot no better than the ones getting trained on the other side of the LOC. Maybe you can compare the pictures of beheadings on your hard drive with theirs. You guys will have a lot in common it seems.
Calm down lad. This is defence forum and not a forum for romance book club. People frequenting here don't get twitchy seeing a severed head of an enemy or get their undies in twists because of some foul language.

Yeah, it is desired that a person should maintain a decorum, but then some guys gets a bit little too much excited. The best thing for you to do is ignore that post and move on, or if it happens too often, put the member inyour ignore list.

Just don't get too overwhelmed with emotion as in defence forums, people tend to have less in touch with their feminine sides and softer emotions. Even the few girls we have had in this forums are like us dudes - a bit jubilant watching a severed head of a jehadi.

another_armchair

Country flag

The Indian Air Force's C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft with Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari and Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria onboard made an Emergency Field Landing at the National Highway in Jalore, Rajasthan on Thursday.

Singh and Gadkari will today inaugurate the Emergency Landing Facility on Satta-Gandhav stretch of National Highway 925A in Rajasthan's Barmer.

This is the first time that the National Highway will be used for emergency landing of aircraft of the IAF.

According to the ministry of road transport and highways, the National Highways Authority of India had developed a three-km section of the Satta-Gandhav stretch of NH-925A as an Emergency Landing Facility for the IAF.

"This project will improve connectivity between villages of Barmer and Jalore districts located on the international borders. The stretch is located in the western border area will facilitate the vigilance of the Indian Army as well as strengthen the basic infrastructure of the country," said the official statement.

Apart from this Emergency Landing Strip, 3 helipads have been constructed in Kundanpura, Singhania and Bakhasar villages in this project according to the requirements of the Air Force/Indian Army, which will be the basis for strengthening the security network on the country's western border.

Looks like full on prep mode.

Kartooz

Country flag
All the three aircraft (c295, il112v, c27j) are twin engine turboprop, they should have comparable operating cost.

To my knowledge IAF never shown interest in il112v or c27j, so question of setting shop would arrive after there is interest/enquiry from IAF.

Who suggested to buy hundreds of c130s ? I was suggesting that IAF limits tranport fleet to 3-4 aircraft types (Dornier 228, il112v/c27j, a400m, c17/c5/an124) which would cover the entire spectrum of lifting needs(a330 mrtt could chip in time to time)
I agree they are all twin-engine turboprops, but that doesn't mean that they have comparable operating cost. A Dash-8 aircraft out climbs; out performs and flies faster than an ATR-72, however, the ATR is dirt cheap to operate in comparison. ATR sips fuel while the Dash-8 gulps it.

I don't know how to explain this to you but just because they look similar in size and role, it doesn't mean that they all were designed for the same level of performance. As far as I know, the C27J is significantly bigger than the Avro currently working in the IAF whereas the C295 is much closer in size.

Last edited:

Kartooz

Country flag
Question: Does it not defeat the purpose of such runway roads if the Press is revealing its location? Enemy could treat it as a target and launch weapons to destroy the runway?
Not really. Low-value target compared to actually IAF stations. As far as I could see in video, there are markings on the road like that on a runway. Easy enough to see on Google maps. Don't worry, nothing is a secret anymore with all those satellites up there.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Question: Does it not defeat the purpose of such runway roads if the Press is revealing its location? Enemy could treat it as a target and launch weapons to destroy the runway?
it may takes years for military infrastructure to be built, the real utility of these secondary infrastructure in an military event would be in hours minutes and seconds.

so more the ambiguity the better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles