Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

captscooby81

Country flag
When will MWF aka Tejas MK2 PV will take its first flight . 2023 or 2024 ? ask MWF is proposed as replacement for Jags and Mig-29 and even M2ks

Spitfire9

Country flag
When will MWF aka Tejas MK2 PV will take its first flight . 2023 or 2024 ? ask MWF is proposed as replacement for Jags and Mig-29 and even M2ks
According to HAL MD in Jan 2021, rollout due August 2022. High speed trials 2023.

Spitfire9

Country flag
They will float another competition or add another 100 to the existing 114 fighter requirement.
And we shall wait for a decade.
I guess that withdrawing 200 MiG-21, Jaguar would leave IAF quite a lot weaker until MMRCA aircraft were up and running. MMRCA 2.0 competition for assembly in India can't result in production of any aircraft until long after 2025. So what to do? India could of course send a letter to China and Pakistan requesting that no aggressive action be taken while India is in a heightened state of vulnerability due to the IAF's strength being further depleted for a few years. :)

Or India could retain Jaguars and accelerate Mk1A production to at least partially cover Bison retirement by the time it takes place. More Rafales would be useful, too. but would any be available for delivery 2024/2025/2026? An order from Switzerland seems likely soon, too, which will not help availability.

ladder

Country flag
I guess that withdrawing 200 MiG-21, Jaguar would leave IAF quite a lot weaker until MMRCA aircraft were up and running. MMRCA 2.0 competition for assembly in India can't result in production of any aircraft until long after 2025. So what to do? India could of course send a letter to China and Pakistan requesting that no aggressive action be taken while India is in a heightened state of vulnerability due to the IAF's strength being further depleted for a few years. :)

Or India could retain Jaguars and accelerate Mk1A production to at least partially cover Bison retirement by the time it takes place. More Rafales would be useful, too. but would any be available for delivery 2024/2025/2026? An order from Switzerland seems likely soon, too, which will not help availability.
IAF will sniff old warehouses of Russia for unused airframes.

Trololo

Country flag
India has spent a lot of resources on the Jaguar. It'll be a shame if it can't be re-engined. Worst case if the re-engining doesn't happen then our options are 72-108 Rafales as envisioned and more MiG 29s. If older 29 airframes are not available then maybe MiG 35s in MKI standard until MWF production picks up and Mk1A deliveries are done. I have a feeling we will procure more than the current 21 planned MiG 29s. I am also a MiG 29 fan but that has not clouded my judgement on this one. 29s are cheap and available.

Spitfire9

Country flag
India has spent a lot of resources on the Jaguar. It'll be a shame if it can't be re-engined. Worst case if the re-engining doesn't happen then our options are 72-108 Rafales as envisioned and more MiG 29s. If older 29 airframes are not available then maybe MiG 35s in MKI standard until MWF production picks up and Mk1A deliveries are done. I have a feeling we will procure more than the current 21 planned MiG 29s. I am also a MiG 29 fan but that has not clouded my judgement on this one. 29s are cheap and available.
I'm not sure why Russia would not have offered all their unassembled frames to India but instead would hold some back. I don't know which countries have used frames available but if they are plentiful, why not buy several dozen (even if they do not have many hours left). This would help to tide IAF over and buy time.

Until GOI recognises the need to gear production to more than a handful fighters a year, the goal of India becoming self-sufficient in fighters will not be realised in my opinion. GOI can buy hundreds more foreign fighters instead of Indian fighters. A trickle of home grown fighters can be produced each year, enough to populate a few squadrons with each type and for them to appear at air shows to keep enthusiastic supporters happy.

Spitfire9

Country flag

Did the Bison upgrade include any work to extend the life of the airframe or engine? If it did, could retirement of these aircraft be pushed back a few years to maintain fighter strength?

I know that it is known as the 'flying coffin' and that nickname would perhaps be justified if it had a bad record for crashes but I have read that accident stats do not bear this out.

Interestingly, the notion of the MiG-21 being a ‘flying coffin’ doesn’t hold water. Surprisingly, after doing a thorough statistical analysis of the IAF’s history, the MiG-21 turns out to be the safest machine in its inventory. In fact, if one looks at the attrition rates of the IAF aircraft since the 1960s, the MiG-21 comes at the bottom.

It turns out that since the aircraft were procured far larger numbers (872) than others, the crash rate also seemed very high. The excessive media coverage of the crashes brought more spotlight on the vintage aircraft, developing a damaging narrative about its safety and combat capabilities.
If that is correct, why retire the Bisons around 2025 when IAF suffers from a shortage of fighters?

ketaki

Country flag

Did the Bison upgrade include any work to extend the life of the airframe or engine? If it did, could retirement of these aircraft be pushed back a few years to maintain fighter strength?

I know that it is known as the 'flying coffin' and that nickname would perhaps be justified if it had a bad record for crashes but I have read that accident stats do not bear this out.

If that is correct, why retire the Bisons around 2025 when IAF suffers from a shortage of fighters?
Did the Bison upgrade include any work to extend the life of the airframe (YES) or engine (NOT SURE- PROBABLY NOT)

1624282332336.png
1624282416515.png

THERE IS MASTER BLOG FOR ALL BISON RELATED INFO, ARTICLES, VIDEOS AND IMAGES

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles