Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
I don't understand this motivation to be a self appointed dalal of a foreign nations weapon systems be they russian,israel or whatever.

If you are a nationalists you would not care if iaf or indian army operates which type of foreign equipment,but only if they have achieved their military objective.if their is any bias it should be towards indian manufactured and designed equipment.

When preference is shown to one foreign weapon to another ,I don't understand the hurt some people feel as if I hurt their race or nation.whats the matter if india bought rafales as long as the capabilities brought are good.if they want to cry ,pls cry to purchase the lca fast and bring up amca fast.
I want india to procure Japanese weapons , because I just Fantasise and like japan , it's like I have never tried this ice cream flavour , the wasabi flavour and I want to do it now lol.
Actually whether I wish or not but india needs to be self reliant in defence but for time being critical tech like aircraft engines should be co developed but even then it's surprising that kaveri could fail , I am very surprised though.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I want india to procure Japanese weapons , because I just Fantasise and like japan , it's like I have never tried this ice cream flavour , the wasabi flavour and I want to do it now lol.
Actually whether I wish or not but india needs to be self reliant in defence but for time being critical tech like aircraft engines should be co developed but even then it's surprising that kaveri could fail , I am very surprised though.
US2i aircraft deal is badly stuck due to Japanese constitutional amendment that restricts export sale of weapons to some other countries afaik.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Tridev123

Country flag
Air to air refuellers are a strategic necessity especially against China which is a vast country with potential targets dispersed.

Pakistan is too small to even constitute a challenge.

If the IAF is not too happy with the Russian refuellers then we have only two options. Either the European or American ones.

I think the Government will prefer the European option. So either buying or leasing European/French refuelling aircraft is a good option. The A330 MRTT is a good plane which had already been selected by the IAF in the past.

I hope the Government takes a quick decision. These planes should have been acquired yesterday(long ago). The Dragon is breathing down our necks.

We have no indigenous alternative and must depend on imports. Very few countries make large aerial refuellers. So we should go ahead.

Trololo

Country flag
Air to air refuellers are a strategic necessity especially against China which is a vast country with potential targets dispersed.

Pakistan is too small to even constitute a challenge.

If the IAF is not too happy with the Russian refuellers then we have only two options. Either the European or American ones.

I think the Government will prefer the European option. So either buying or leasing European/French refuelling aircraft is a good option. The A330 MRTT is a good plane which had already been selected by the IAF in the past.

I hope the Government takes a quick decision. These planes should have been acquired yesterday(long ago). The Dragon is breathing down our necks.

We have no indigenous alternative and must depend on imports. Very few countries make large aerial refuellers. So we should go ahead.
The operative line here is " Very few countries make large aerial refuellers." They are able to do so because they have a formidable domestic aviation industry. Especially commercial aircraft industry. You can't stick 20 Su-30MKIs with Fevicol and expect them to serve the role of a tanker. It needs a commercial plane/ transport plane with suitable modifications. This is also why the RTA project is so important! On a different note I hope the A330 gets shortlisted.

Tridev123

Country flag
The operative line here is " Very few countries make large aerial refuellers." They are able to do so because they have a formidable domestic aviation industry. Especially commercial aircraft industry. You can't stick 20 Su-30MKIs with Fevicol and expect them to serve the role of a tanker. It needs a commercial plane/ transport plane with suitable modifications. This is also why the RTA project is so important! On a different note I hope the A330 gets shortlisted.
The RTA is a stepping stone to development and production of large wide bodied commercial aircraft. Could be at least a decade or two away.

In this area China is ahead of us. I believe that they have already developed a decent commercial aircraft though not in the same league of Boeing and Airbus.

We need more big players in the aerospace industry. Relying only on HAL is not the best strategy. I am sure large industrial groups like the Tatas, Ambani, L&T etc would be interested in the aircraft building business if the atmosphere is conducive. As they say 'let a thousand trees bloom'. Competition will spur innovation.

A correct policy change now will bear fruit in a decade. India might see the emergence of at least an Embraer in the private sector.

Tridev123

Country flag
The RTA is a stepping stone to development and production of large wide bodied commercial aircraft. Could be at least a decade or two away.

In this area China is ahead of us. I believe that they have already developed a decent commercial aircraft though not in the same league of Boeing and Airbus.

We need more big players in the aerospace industry. Relying only on HAL is not the best strategy. I am sure large industrial groups like the Tatas, Ambani, L&T etc would be interested in the aircraft building business if the atmosphere is conducive. As they say 'let a thousand trees bloom'. Competition will spur innovation.

A correct policy change now will bear fruit in a decade. India might see the emergence of at least an Embraer in the private sector.

sorcerer

Country flag
India considers French offer of six Airbus multi-role mid-air refuellers

WolfPack86

Country flag
INDIA CONSIDERS FRENCH OFFER OF SIX AIRBUS MULTI-ROLE MID-AIR REFUELERS
According to a former Indian Air Force chief, the Airbus 330 MRTT platform has much larger wings of Airbus 340 as a result of which the aircraft can refuel two fighters mid-air at the same time through drogues (attached to wing pods) or a central refuelling boom system

India is considering a French proposal to acquire six Airbus 330 multi-role transport tanker aircraft on a government-to-government basis for expanding the Indian Air Force (IAF) strike capability through latest mid-air refuelers. IAF as of now operate seven Russian IL-76 M refuelers with Pakistan acquiring same four refuelers from Ukraine and China operating three same Russian refuelers along with vintage 10 others modified versions of Russian bombers.

According to South Block sources, while IAF wanted to get an Airbus 330MRTT on wet lease from a British company, the French proposal involves selling 5–7-year-old six aircraft for the air force with a certification of another 30 years of platform life at a much-reduced rate. IAF has been eager to acquire MRTT since the past decade with the previous RFP expiring without any results.

According to a former Indian Air Force chief, the Airbus 330 MRTT platform has much larger wings of Airbus 340 as a result of which the aircraft can refuel two fighters mid-air at the same time through drogues (attached to wing pods) or a central refuelling boom system. The best part about the Airbus aircraft is that it can transport 260 personnel in cabin and fuel in the cargo hold due to highly efficient and high-powered engines. The MRTT can be turned into purely a tanker or transport or air ambulance or all three at the same time with a total crew of three.

Mid-air refuelers are a key to expanding the operational envelope of the IAF and Indian Navy carrier-based fighters by extending their range. According to the former IAF chief, a mid-air refueler can be used to extend the flight of a Su-30 MKI or Rafale flying from Port Blair all the way up to Sunda, Lombard and Malacca Straits for freedom of navigation missions.

“The French proposal is a win-win for IAF as the international market for aerial platforms is down due to Covid-19 pandemic. The aircraft does not guzzle fuel and has high power engines to operate from high altitude air bases in Ladakh like Leh, Thoise and Nyoma at the same time transport troops or conduct medical evacuation if required,” said a senior IAF official.

shankyz

Country flag
With only 5-7 years old, and French guarantee of 30 years of shelf life - these 6 A330 MRTT deal should be fast-tracked asap.

Airbus familiarity + no sanction fear + high availability (including spare parts) + instant force multiplier + depressed price + France backing + Less red-tape (G2G deal)

Narasimh

Country flag

Not sure if posted before. Bharat shakti and Strat news is bringing good content on strategic issues

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles