Indian achievements surpassing the UK. (Economic,military and everything else that can be added).

Knowitall

It really is difficult for me to understand how people say UK still has a modern military. From what I have seen and read over the years. UK's military is more and more becoming just an another arm of the US military. UK really doesn't have that much of a navy that people hype. They have only 19 front line warships and in those we have the type 23 which are quite old. Another factor we must understand is that they do not operate all 19 ships due to lack of sailors and maintaince. There air force is similarly hyped with those old tornadoes which are extremely vulnerable in the modern environment. Their eurofighter jets also consist of the tranche 1 batch which is not good at all and have major spare parts problems. So I don't understand why people simply hype things up. The only good thing is their submarine fleet in which to they only have 1 operational ssbn at a time. There was an article will try to find it which explained that generally 3 or at max 4 of their ssn can be in waters remaining in repairs. I don't see the situation changing during wartime due to their severe staff shortages. I can go on about the army if anyone would like a much browser description. Similarly I can give an explanation about their carriers.

Knowitall

All the other assets can also be discussed like AWACS and alot of things if the discussion continues

Knowitall

Some main points here.

A no-deal Brexit would plunge Britain into a recession that would shrink the economy by 2%, push unemployment above 5% and send house prices tumbling by around 10%, according to the government’s independent forecasting body

an assessment of the impact of Britain leaving the EU without a deal at the end of October, the Office for Budget Responsibility said the result would be a year-long downturn that would increase borrowing by £30bn a year.

In its fiscal risks report, the OBR said its assessment was “relatively benign” because it was based on the less gloomy of two scenarios produced by the International Monetary Fundearlier this year. A worst-case scenario sketched out by the Bank of England last November estimated that the economy could shrink by as much as 8% in an even deeper recession than that of 2008.

Knowitall

What i do believe India indeed lacks is good infrastructure on the likes of canary wharf and many other centres around the glode. There are quite a few more factor's but none big enough that we cannot overcome.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It really is difficult for me to understand how people say UK still has a modern military. From what I have seen and read over the years. UK's military is more and more becoming just an another arm of the US military. UK really doesn't have that much of a navy that people hype. They have only 19 front line warships and in those we have the type 23 which are quite old. Another factor we must understand is that they do not operate all 19 ships due to lack of sailors and maintaince. There air force is similarly hyped with those old tornadoes which are extremely vulnerable in the modern environment. Their eurofighter jets also consist of the tranche 1 batch which is not good at all and have major spare parts problems. So I don't understand why people simply hype things up. The only good thing is their submarine fleet in which to they only have 1 operational ssbn at a time. There was an article will try to find it which explained that generally 3 or at max 4 of their ssn can be in waters remaining in repairs. I don't see the situation changing during wartime due to their severe staff shortages. I can go on about the army if anyone would like a much browser description. Similarly I can give an explanation about their carriers.
It's hyped up because they always operate with USA. So even with less assests they can project power far away with USA alignment.

However they are being left behind in technologies of future. Hypersonics , scramjet , deep space exploration , solar wind energy and electric cars.

They are still very rich per capita hence can put much more into defense if need be. They obviously can't match USA china India or Russia but they still count among top 10 global military powers and will remain so for most of this century.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Knowitall

It's hyped up because they always operate with USA. So even with less assests they can project power far away with USA alignment.

However they are being left behind in technologies of future. Hypersonics , scramjet , deep space exploration , solar wind energy and electric cars.

They are still very rich per capita hence can put much more into defense if need be. They obviously can't match USA china India or Russia but they still count among top 10 global military powers and will remain so for most of this century.

Agree with all the points above. In fact as the world slowly gets more militarized I believe a lot more countries like Japan south Korea will be leaving them behind.

Knowitall

I would like people to post both support and counter arguments here and contribute to this thread.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Agree with all the points above. In fact as the world slowly gets more militarized I believe a lot more countries like Japan south Korea will be leaving them behind.
South Korea is probably a dark horse of military power. There domestic industry is rapidly advancing and they already have export orders for their premium weapons.

K9 Artillery to India , kf-x variant to Indonesia , ssk submarine to Indonesia etc.

Very fast and robust development.

Knowitall

Another thing I would like to add here is France. France I believe has already surpassed UK in raw military strength their active troops and actions in Mali has even impressed the US. The issue that faces France right now is their dependency on heavy lift choppers even that will be rectified soon in the planned purchase of chinook is gone ahead with. Overall France has an self sufficient defence manufacturing power something which helps them launch their own operations without anyone's consent something India must try to achieve to be a global player.

Knowitall

losing small wars british military failure in iraq and afghanistan by frank ledwidge is an excellent book for people intrested in the British campaigns around the globe. A must read for people to understand how easily one can be fooled and the ground realities and failures of the British. This book also explains a lot about how the US indeed lost its faith in the UK and it's ability to project power.

One thing that this book exposes very well is the so called claim by everyone in UK about having a extremely mobile and deployable military. The so called myth of 40000 around the world is thoroughly debunked here.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Another thing I would like to add here is France. France I believe has already surpassed UK in raw military strength their active troops and actions in Mali has even impressed the US. The issue that faces France right now is their dependency on heavy lift choppers even that will be rectified soon in the planned purchase of chinook is gone ahead with. Overall France has an self sufficient defence manufacturing power something which helps them launch their own operations without anyone's consent something India must try to achieve to be a global player.
Surpassed? France was always stronger than UK by a mile. From technology to military strength. They aren't just loved that much by USA.
High level ki bakchodi hai.....

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

26/11

Country flag
Good thing is that in those two articles is the proof of decreasing aid...
300 million in 2015, 100 million in 2017 and now it is 52 million in 2018/2019.
Majority of this aid comes in form of funds to NGOs and many of them are working against interest of India. Recent crackdown on NGOs might be the reason for decline in this amount.

Longewala

Country flag
For 40-50 years we made Pakistan out benchmark and suffered as a result, constraining our own growth and ambition.

This is a similar trap - our target is not to beat the Brits. It should be to build an economy, tech base etc that is 3 times bigger in nominal terms, and 6-8x in real terms.

Let them talk about toilet and "rape" (while their "Asians" rape many thousands of their own girls)
We are the ones with a space and nuclear industry.
In 20 years, we should surpass them in defense tech, Aerospace, etc.

Remember we were the economic and scientific superpower for 90% of our recorded history, while they were barely descended from the trees.

Knowitall

Not only Pakistan but a lot of our policies after our Independence resulted in a lot of problems we are facing today.our target is certainly not the Brits and we should aim much higher bit as of now they certainly are a barrier which must be overcome. Moving above them in all of not all atleast close to all should signify India's growth and ambitions to a large extent.

Knowitall

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/british-oil-tanker-reportedly-seized-by-iranian-forces.html

This news report shall be a good eye opener for a lot of people. They are alot of people who have criticised our policy of being non aligned but it really is the best. Being able to reap the benefits of both while at the same time having friendly relations with almost everyone.

For our policies to become completely successful we must have an indigenous defence base which will truly make us independent of foreign powers

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles