India will be ready for war by 2015

indiansoldier1999

Indian Military modernization is going on at a rapid pace (sorry for using the wrong word for the title)

Kargil war in 1999, Operation Parakhram in 2001 after Parliament attack and terrorists attacks between 2000 and 2010, really pushed the bureaucrats to approve deals faster.

Strategic weapons programs directly come under Prime Minister. Funds are sanctioned faster. eg Ballistic missile nuclear submarines. There are still some problems while dealing with individual departments eg Delay in approval for Train coaches for Rail mobile launchers by the Indian Railways.

People in the Military circle feel that Indian Military will be well set by 2015.

1. By 2015, Indian Military would have the following Tactical and Strategic Nuclear Missiles

CRUISE MISSILES

a. BrahMos I (Supersonic Cruise Missile) (Conventional or Nuclear warheads)

Range - 300 km @ 300 kg , 600 km @ 150 kg

b. BrahMos II ( Hypersonic Cruise Missile) (Conventional or nuclear warheads)
Range - Unknown

c. Nirbhay (Long range subsonic cruise missiles) (1000 km to 2500 km) Turbofan engine development is already going on. Russian scientists have already been employed at some labs to help with the metallurgy problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1qqYGjFnQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARCyuCLGlmc

QUASI-BALLISTIC MISSILE

d . Shourya (Nuclear capable Quasi-Ballistic Missile) (Range 750 km to 2000 km)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSots-DnpJ8

NUCLEAR CAPABLE BALLISTIC MISSILES

e. Prithvi I, Prithvi II, Prithvi III Ballistic Missiles

f. Agni I (850 km to 3400 km ), (under production since 2003)

g. Agni II (4000 to 8000 km) (Under production since 2001)

h. Agni II (AT) (extended range version would eventually replace Agni II) Testing is going on.

i. Agni III (3 stages variants) (A, B, C, and SLBMs) (under production since the end of 2008) (Variants testing is still going on)

Range for Agni III with 3 stages

4000 km @ 3000 kg payload

8000 km @ 1500 kg payload

15, 000 km @ 750 kg payload

j. Agni IV (Agni III variant - Agni III (3B) with 4 stages)

K. Agni V (under development) (Land based and sea based SLBM variants)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zxDVpGbGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4s7mQ0j-3E

ANTI-BALLISTIC MISSILE PROGRAM

2. Anti-Ballistic Missile Program will be matured by 2015. Mass production would have started already.

a. AAD Anti-Ballistic Missile (Interception at 15 to 30 km altitude) for SRBMs

b. PAD Anti-Ballistic Missile (Interception at 80 km altitude) for SRBMs, MRBMs

AAD and PAD anti-ballistic missiles have been tested several times.

c. AD-1 Anti-Missile for IRBMs and ICBMs interception

d. AD-2 Anti-Missile for IRBMs and ICBMs interception

e. Anti-satellite Missile Program (has already started)

source: India developing weapons against satellites

f. Lasers are also being developed by BARC but would see the light only by 2020 (KALI-5000 laser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBSrCGyIT7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UlFqk7MkA

3. INDIAN ARMY - Artillery modernization is going on. Next generation tanks could be a joint development with Russia.
F-INSAS -( F-INSAS means Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System ) program is also going on. MBRL Pinaka rocket range extension work is also going on and the list goes on and on ........

Indian Army by 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkDuFVNR7ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVyk57KXanQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUp93HooCo

4. Indian Air Force

India's indigenous fighter jet engine Kaveri development would be completed in collaboration with French engine maker snecma. M88 core would be integrated with Kaveri engine.

Indian Air Force by 2015

Fighters

280 x su MKI

126 x F 18s or Rafales or Mig 35s

100 x LCA (Light combat aircrafts)

60 x Mig 29s (upgraded)

50 x Mirage 2000 H (upgraded)

150 x Mig 21 (would be eventually replaced and the numbers maintained with locally produced LCA)

Bombers

100 x Mig 27s (Upgraded)

120 x Jaguars (Upgraded)

Indian air force by 2020

at least 60 x PAK-FA (stealth fighter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVfEI1Zl98

5. Indian Navy tops the list by giving orders worth billions of dollars to local shipyards (stealth frigates, destroyers, submarines)

a. Indian Navy would have at least 5 nuclear powered submarines by 2015

3 x INS Arihant Class (Ballistic Missile nuclear submarines)

2 x Akula class II (Nerpa) Nuclear powered submarines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHgo_gZUm4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0FJ-coOINQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehWqE8wdyg

Indian Military is already strong but in 5 yrs time, It will be a force to reckon with !!:india:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India is always ready to face any aggression and defend itself. Such statements and timelines are for those who feel good about listening to such things. If the country is going to be ready for war only by 2015, then what did it do in Kargil? Why hasnt China not taken any steps to resolve the border dispute by force according to its wishes? It very well knows India is not a pushover and it cant win a war with India.

bhramos

Country flag
India is always ready to face any aggression and defend itself. Such statements and timelines are for those who feel good about listening to such things. If the country is going to be ready for war only by 2015, then what did it do in Kargil? Why hasnt China not taken any steps to resolve the border dispute by force according to its wishes? It very well knows India is not a pushover and it cant win a war with India.
yeah you are right, India is always ready for defensive measures but not for offensive until 2015, may be this is what he means!!!

Agantrope

But the range of missiles are really absurd

Agni-III in the category of ICBM :eek:mg:

India's arsenal is of only upto 5000KM i hope, but the numbers looks little fishy

parshva

I would like to correct a few things mentioned in the 1st post.
1)\the nirbhay cruise missile is a subsonic missile with a range of not more than 1000km.
2)Agni 1 has a range of just 750 km
Agni 2-2500km and has constantly failed in its tests.
Agni 3-maximum range of 3500km and
Agni5-5000km under development.

airforce going to induct 250 5th gen fighter and not 60.

Last edited by a moderator:

gogbot

As if India is not ready for war now .

tile casts more insult then ambition.

We will just be more prepared by 2015.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
I would like to correct a few things mentioned in the 1st post.
1)\the nirbhay cruise missile is a subsonic missile with a range of not more than 1000km.
2)Agni 1 has a range of just 750 km
Agni 2-2500km and has constantly failed in its tests.
Agni 3-maximum range of 3500km and
Agni5-5000km under development.

airforce going to induct 250 5th gen fighter and not 60.
why agani-II has always failed in a test?what about AGANI-III i know it had recently cleared test.ISN`T AGANI-II is in same line series as agani-I and III

parshva

why agani-II has always failed in a test?what about AGANI-III i know it had recently cleared test.ISN`T AGANI-II is in same line series as agani-I and III
yeah dey both r in d same line nd agni3 has finishd d testing nd is ready 4 induction bt agni 2 reccently failed 2 of its tests.i dnt noe y in detail bt 1 of d tests was conductd at nyt.dey r evn goin to test agni5 (5000km) early nxt year bt r nt able 2 develop d agni2.god noes y?

arps

Just change the date from 2015 to 2020.India will not be ready until 2020.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Just change the date from 2015 to 2020.India will not be ready until 2020.
Why do feel so? Care to be explain please? I mean, anything specific which made you say this? I feel by 2015-17 we will be really good off.

ntrdestroyer

India will not be ready for offensive operations until 2027.

Our Navy needs at least 4 Aircraft carriers ,30 diesel subs ,10 nuclear subs.Amphibious Troop carriers like Jalaswa -10 to 12

From 1964 review of how much ships we need was 139 now we have around 120 we need to get it up to 165 as our navy chief said.

Airforce

We need number to counter the mass scale production of J10s by the Chinese.India has always had the best technologically advanced aircraft in the region.We will continue to have that ,but if we dont increase our squadron strength to atleast 55 we wont be able to counter a first strike by a massive chinese offensive in the first hours of a war.
We atleast need 500 Tejas,300 mki,200mmrca,200 pak fa.

Our Air Defense should be strengthened further with induction of current variants of Akash sams, improved variants of AKASH SAMS.Spider and other SAM systems(Preferably INDIAN)
Since J10 and other Chinese aircrafts are essentially 3rd generation fighters which can be at best upgraded to 4th generation we need to create this impregnable network of Anti Aircraft systems.

ARMY
We need heavy lift Aircraft to quickly carry mountain divisions to the eastern frontiers in case of any eventualities.We need at least 20 Hercules and 50 Ans to airlift about 5 divisions of troop immediately so that the chineses dont have an early advantage as they are going to be in all probability the aggressor. Infrastructure is being built up but it has to be accelerated and maintained.

Pinaka systems with 120 kms range and higher accuracy -5000
Pinaka systems with 40 Kms -5000
Artillery systems-1000

Better variants of INSAS like Kalantak or FINSAS

better ratio of number of night vision goggles to number of men

Tanks-Arjun mk1+Arjun mk2=1000
T90 (already ordered so cant change)=1800(need mid life upgrades including cooling systems and ERA and Nera,Need missile launching capability as well)
T72 Ajeya class -700
Rest-500

This is the minimum requirement if we have to fight and decisively win.

We have always had a very good defensive formation in place but in case of any agression we need to defend repel and counter attack ,Hold and then negotiate.We have only done that with some sort of success in 1971.

PS:I only used the chinese as our potential adversary because the Chinese are our only potential adversary.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The OP and a few of the other posters have failed to distinguish between Armed Forces Combat Readiness and Armed Forces Modernisation and Buildup drive.

BunBunCake

Brahmos Range - 300 km @ 300 kg , 600 km @ 150 kg
Brahmos cannot exceed 300 km range. I don't know where you got 600 km @ 150 kg warhead. It's false.

c. Nirbhay (Long range subsonic cruise missiles) (1000 km to 2500 km) Turbofan engine development is already going on. Russian scientists have already been employed at some labs to help with the metallurgy problems.
Quoted by a DRDO member, the Nirbhay missile has a range of 1,000 km. It's also published widely. It's no where near 2,500 km.

f. Agni I (850 km to 3400 km ), (under production since 2003)
Not anywhere near 3,400 km. It's range is known to be from 700-1000 KM.

g. Agni II (4000 to 8000 km) (Under production since 2001)
2,000 - 3,000 KM
Agni II is not an ICBM.

Range for Agni III with 3 stages

4000 km @ 3000 kg payload

8000 km @ 1500 kg payload

15, 000 km @ 750 kg payload
You don't know that yet.

e. Anti-satellite Missile Program (has already started)
Such project has not started. The source you provided clearly mentions they are acquiring technology for this capability only.

AkhandBharat

The OP and a few of the other posters have failed to distinguish between Armed Forces Combat Readiness and Armed Forces Modernisation and Buildup drive.
That depends on the potential enemy you are facing. If we're talking about China, you cannot achieve combat readiness without modernization and build-up, because China is already one-up there.

arps

Why do feel so? Care to be explain please? I mean, anything specific which made you say this? I feel by 2015-17 we will be really good off.
It depends on how good we will be.IA will not be ready still by 2015.Its not that u attack and loose ur soldiers heavily.You need a solid defense at ist. As u know we r much slow in purchases.
1) By 2020 our two stage BMD will get maturity with all the new radars and cruise missile defense systems will be in place in good numbers.
2)Bromhmos hypersonic missile will be in good number with all the new artillary stuffs will be in place.Will be game changer.
3)By then army can implement FINSAS program for a sizable portion of soldiers.Will ensure less soldier casualty and swift action.
4)Attack and other helicopters will be in place in a good number.Vital for thrust of attack.
5)By then we will get a good numbers of modern Tanks.Vital for thrust of attack.
6)By then we will get about 3 squadrons of pak-fa with almost all the mmrca.Important for air superiority without loosing minimum of ours.
7)By then we will have 2 functional carrier groups with modern 6 scorpions and approx 4-5 arihant type subs.Will have BARAK NG defence system(give a propper defense) and bromhos hypersonic missile to a unmatched destroying capabilities.
8)All the networking and settelite communication will get maturity with all the AWACS(10-12) having in places.Must for modern warefare,where we need less causality in our side and maximum for the enemy.

I can go on and on..we r so slow in purchases and implementations and pak army still have deterrent for any attack by 2015.But with our bigger purchases by 2020 we will have a decisive advantage.

BunBunCake

Sure, India will be 'prepared' for war. But no matter what @ 2015-17 we still won't be able to match China. More time is needed for that...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles