India US Relations

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Recent reports in media are Suggesting that US will be providing 500 million dollars in the form of a Military aid package to India.

If we take this to be true and if we do Accept this aid from the US than from my POV we should use this Aid to mainly buy new SiG-716 rifles along with various accesories (Scope/barrels/cartridges etc).

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
India's cancellation of high value russian weapon i think has nothing to do with geopolitics or American pressure ... Russia wont be able to deliver or produce high value arms because of complete ban of aviation and other tech products upon them .. There is also fear how Russians ll be able to keep the maintenance and supply of parts in future ... Right now primary concern of Russia ll be to fill its own defence reserve somehow by black market route or back channel dealings ... So india bound to start looking for local .. invest in R&D and go for europe , usa ..
I know that Indians have always been conflicted about American assistance. The same is also true in Taiwan actually, lots of the older generation (pro-KMT and reunification mostly) always feels that America uses them for their own interests, and there is indeed some resentment.

But being realistic...what other choice is there? Russia is now being heavily sanctioned and its economy is ruined. And its weapons are really old and outdated.

You don't have to like the Americans exactly. But I do think well...I do think their tech at least is not so bad. :)

Blademaster

Russian economy is not ruined but thriving. Its weapons are not old and outdated. It may not be as advanced as the western counterparts but they work reliably and are sturdy as hell.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
Russian economy is not ruined but thriving. Its weapons are not old and outdated. It may not be as advanced as the western counterparts but they work reliably and are sturdy as hell.
what is stopping Russia from just opening a large operation of providing china with power through gas and oil so that the Chinese don't have to worry about their energy supply again?

Why cant china offer to source a large portion of energy just from russia which is located next to them?

Blademaster

what is stopping Russia from just opening a large operation of providing china with power through gas and oil so that the Chinese don't have to worry about their energy supply again?

Why cant china offer to source a large portion of energy just from russia which is located next to them?
They are. They are not just letting the West or its western media know about it too much.

Shuturmurg

Country flag

Most of Russia oil and gas fields are located closer to Europe and not China (except Sakhalin, which anyways supplies to China).

They will need to build new pipelines across Russia, not sure whether those will be economically feasible (Cost to move gas increases with increase in length of pipelines).

On top of that, some of the oil and gas fields are complex (because they are under perma frost) and were serviced by western firms, and all those companies have left. Western firms dominate oilfield servicing sector, there is only 1 chinese company in top 10, that too not as technologically advanced (China still lags behind west in technology fields that started long ago, eg- Aviation, internal combustion engine, oil and gas drilling, etc). So, maybe China will be able to run those operations as efficiently, but we don't know at this point.

Also, Russia's entire population is near Europe, its not physically possible to re-route all trade linkages to China.

Shuturmurg

Country flag

I actually found a really useful graphics, if gas pipeline length increases over 2100 miles, then its cheaper to transport by sea.

1653521827666.png

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
That is the point you still don't get. Their are no friend and foe in international relations. Their are just permanent interest.
Currently Indian and US interest align viz a viz PRC and the same time Indian and Russian diverge viz a viz PRC.
The entire global order is transactional in nature.
If US wants to use India to counter-balance PRC, US wants to use India to grow their defense industry then India also has a right to have certain degree of expectation from US.
India is not like its esteemed neighbor who will dance on US tune if US throws some money or military goodies towards them.
I would not be saying anything if Russia actually supported India against its enemies, China and Pakistan. But other than that conflict in 1971, Russia has actually remained very neutral, generally speaking, selling weapons to both sides but seeming to be closer to China. I am not saying this is ideal, but that is the reality. Putin is right next door to China, India for all its benefits is quite far away. Russia has even been building a closer partnership to Pakistan, didn't Imran Khan visit Russia right before Putin invaded?

I am NOT saying that US government is some knight in shining armour by any means, my friends; many Taiwanese people actually grumble and complain how US weapons are very expensive. But sometimes, we have no choice to make allies with imperfect countries.

Two Minutes To Midnight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I actually found a really useful graphics, if gas pipeline length increases over 2100 miles, then its cheaper to transport by sea.

View attachment 157524
LNG terminals, storage, and reheating to be sent to pipelines for distribution is a massive pain in the butt.

Why?

Because natural gas liquefaction temperature is -160° C. Imagine the effort required in terms of energy to achieve that.

That temperature needs to be maintained through sea transport, and storage, then in order to send the gas through the gas pipes you need to reheat the LNG to ambient temperature in order for it to be transported to the final user.

For those reasons, Europe refused Norway's offer and took the cheaper less hustle option from Russia.

Shuturmurg

Country flag
LNG terminals, storage, and reheating to be sent to pipelines for distribution is a massive pain in the butt.

Why?

Because natural gas liquefaction temperature is -160° C. Imagine the effort required in terms of energy to achieve that.

That temperature needs to be maintained through sea transport, and storage, then in order to send the gas through the gas pipes you need to reheat the LNG to ambient temperature in order for it to be transported to the final user.

For those reasons, Europe refused Norway's offer and took the cheaper less hustle option from Russia.
True, but even then you cannot extend pipeline forever and make it cost effective. After around 2500 miles it stops making sense.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I would not be saying anything if Russia actually supported India against its enemies, China and Pakistan. But other than that conflict in 1971, Russia has actually remained very neutral, generally speaking, selling weapons to both sides but seeming to be closer to China. I am not saying this is ideal, but that is the reality. Putin is right next door to China, India for all its benefits is quite far away. Russia has even been building a closer partnership to Pakistan, didn't Imran Khan visit Russia right before Putin invaded?

I am NOT saying that US government is some knight in shining armour by any means, my friends; many Taiwanese people actually grumble and complain how US weapons are very expensive. But sometimes, we have no choice to make allies with imperfect countries.
Imran visiting Russia before invasion was a world famous joke
He called that joker and at same time attacked Ukraine
Not a proper meeting was possible Putin used him well

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Bechare murican analysts, they think just because murican public has short memories, Indian too must be having short memories. still waiting for the day for them to realise that Indians have elephant memories, we remember EVERYTHING. folks who remember which ball was bowled to whom in which over on which day in which stadium as a national hobby, remembering sequence of geopolitical events is a cakewalk.

coming back to the opinion piece. this is why i had created this paradigm smell test. G2 is still on the table for muricans, they have done nothing to prove otherwise, so the paradigm is valid in this case.

Let's test out a theory since it is early days in the new murican administration, we get to make observations afresh. lots of stuff will be happening around the world some relevant mostly irrelevant. since CCP is on our minds these days, we could test out probable causes of relevant/interesting events against a proposed theory or paradigm.

I propose a paradigm "Any country that has ongoing unresolved issue with CCP, will be at the receiving end of American administration directly or thru their various instruments of their foreign policy"

Answer will be either "Valid" or "Invalid" .

For example :
1) Current Australian govt has an issue with CCP, but google has threatened Australia. In this scenario paradigm gets "Valid", because google is an instrument of murican foreign policy.
2) Taiwan has a historical problem with CCP, but murican administration starts recognising Taiwan. In this scenario, paradigm is "Invalid".

No hurry, we can test it out for years to come. if anyone is interested in improving it further, you are welcome, but objective is to measure an event in simple binary.
=======
India’s Last Best Chance

School teacher

Bechare murican analysts, they think just because murican public has short memories, Indian too must be having short memories. still waiting for the day for them to realise that Indians have elephant memories, we remember EVERYTHING. folks who remember which ball was bowled to whom in which over on which day in which stadium as a national hobby, remembering sequence of geopolitical events is a cakewalk.

coming back to the opinion piece. this is why i had created this paradigm smell test. G2 is still on the table for muricans, they have done nothing to prove otherwise, so the paradigm is valid in this case.

=======
India’s Last Best Chance
Oil price in a country like india where people have less purchasing power is a very sensitive issue . And has political consequences which cnt be replaced by just ideologies .
We have been historically paying higher price for oil compared to western countries due to Asian premium of OPEC and we dnt produce any significant amount of oil like USA .

Govt recently waved off tax money of 1 lakh crore in oil . Those money could have been used in our infra project .

Learned people know India preventing inflation in west by importing Russian oil . How silly can someone be to put sanction on Venezuela , Iran , Russia at the same time .. They are leading the World towards recession . Q4 GDP growth of india already depressing .
Its like asking plz become poor and go through economic recession if u want to be our friend . Poor people of Africa , Asia should not pay for geopolitical gndmasti of CIA specially after a pandemic .

I expect govt of india to import more cheap oil from Russia so that common people of india get more benefit .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles