India US Relations

WolfPack86

Country flag
Donald Trump Offers To Host Prime Minister Narendra Modi Later This Year: White House
US President Donald Trump is looking forward to hosting Prime Minister Narendra Modi later this year, the White House said in a statement on Tuesday. No date for the visit was announced though.
Trump called PM Modi on Monday to congratulate him on his recent state election victories, expressing “support” for his economic reforms and “great respect” for Indians.
“President Donald J. Trump spoke with Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India to congratulate him on the outcome of India’s recent state-level elections,” the White House statement said.
Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party won elections in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand outright and formed the governments in Goa and Manipur with the help of allies.
“President Trump expressed support for the Prime Minister’s economic reform agenda and emphasized his great respect for the people of India. President Trump also said he looks forward to hosting Prime Minister Modi in Washington later this year.”-- White House
This was the third publicly known phone conversation between Modi and Trump after latter’s victory last November. The first conversation took place on the morning after Trump’s upset win over Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
The second took place after president Trump’s inauguration.
Their officials and aides have spoken and met many times since Trump’s election, with the first team of Indian officials meeting vice-president-elect Mike Pence.
Indian national security adviser Ajit Doval met his then counterpart Michael Flynn in December -- before the inauguration, but had to make another trip last week to meet HR McMaster, his new counterpart after Flynn was forced to resign for lying about his contacts with Russians.
Doval also met secretary of defense James Mattis on his recent visit.
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and Secretary of State Rex Tillersen spoke on phone and foreign secretary S Jaishankar met with the top US diplomat during a visit to the US earlier in March.
Jaishankar, who was accompanied by commerce secretary Rita Teotia, also met McMaster and president Trump’s top adviser on international economic affairs Kenneth Juster in the White House, commerce secretary Wilbur Ross and secretary for homeland security John Kelly.
Indian officials have felt generally good about these meetings. “Overall our sense was that the administration has a very positive view of the (India-US) relationship and a very positive view of India,” Jaishankar had said after his meetings.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/03/donald-trump-offers-to-pm-host-narendra.html

WolfPack86

Country flag
‘Hope Modi’s US visit will be an action-forcing mechanism … bilateral investment treaty would be a significant milestone’
With the White House having announced that US President Donald Trump will be hosting Prime Minister Narendra Modi later this year in Washington, Ambassador William J Burns, President of Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and former US Deputy Secretary of State, spoke to Nalin Mehta on what New Delhi can expect from the first bilateral Modi-Trump meeting, Indo-US relations and the shifts in US diplomacy:

The White House said President Trump spoke with PM Modi to congratulate him on the outcome of Uttar Pradesh elections, to express support for Modi’s economic reform agenda, and to say that he was looking forward to hosting the PM in Washington. What are your expectations from the PM’s upcoming visit?

My strong hope is that when it comes to India, the Trump administration will look to sustain and deepen the efforts of its Democratic and Republican predecessors to further strengthen the bilateral partnership and put it to work to address shared global challenges.

I hope this visit will be used as an action-forcing mechanism to check off a number of important items from our shared to-do list.This includes the purchase of a US fighter for India’s armed forces and other defence cooperation items.

It includes continued progress in the economic sphere, where i believe we still have a long way to go to fully realise the promise of our strategic partnership.

Concluding the Bilateral Investment Treaty would be a significant milestone worthy of a significant effort by both governments.

President Trump is fundamentally changing long held pillars of US diplomacy. How will this impact India-US relations which have been recast in the last 15 years under both Democrat and Republican administrations?
You are right that beneath the surface, this Trump administration presents a fundamentallydifferent approach to foreign affairs – a profound, and in my view troubling, deviation from the coreelements on which American leadership and international order rest.

The United States, for all its imperfections, has stood for political and economic openness, respect for human dignity, and a sense of possibility. We have demonstrated a willingness to mobilise others to deal with shared problems. And we have invested in the institutions at home and abroad that can get ahead of crises and prevent conflict through wise, long-term investments.

To the extent that we walk away from these ideas, initiatives and institutions at the core of American leadership, i fear that we will see serious and long-term damage to America’s standing in the world, and in turn, to the potential for US-India relations.
What impact do you see of US policies on Asia and the balance of power in the region under President Trump?

Much of President Trump’s foreign policy seems to be reverting to the mainstream on first contact with reality, and that includes his approach to the Asia-Pacific.

But it’s clear that the Trump administration believes the United States is being held hostage in many respects by the very international order it created. It seems to see multilateral trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership as constraints rather than opportunities, and international and regional organisations as distracting, if not irrelevant.

That attitude could undermine our capacity and credibility to work together with India to shape a Pacific Century that reflects our shared interests and values.

Carnegie has been in India for a year. How different is working in India compared to other countries?
I have been deeply impressed by what my colleagues in Delhi have accomplished in such a short time. That is not a result of any imports from Washington or any of our global centres in Beijing, Beirut, Brussels or Moscow. It is a consequence of the fact that Carnegie India is led and staffed by extraordinary Indian experts who have a deep stake and commitment to India’s own domestic and international evolution.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatime...ment-treaty-would-be-a-significant-milestone/

prohumanity

Country flag
Let me get the facts straight for you. I am an Indian American. Americans love Indian Americans ...most Americans think that Indian Americans are good citizens, and are not trouble makers.
I never came across any American who hated me just because I am an Indian American.
So these isolated incidents on attack on Indian Americans are overblown by bought media...the reality is that there is more love for Indian origin people in USA than hate. I confirm this. Lots of American wish well to India and want India to flourish as a democracy and open society. Some even admire the culture and Indian civilization exemplified by Yoga, meditation, peaceful coexistence and universal brotherhood.
An average American is a decent human being. Its the evil politicians...the warmongers. the pathological narcissists who have too much power as they are capable of misleading and brainwashing an average American
to support wars, atrocities and world dominance. People are waking up here..they are tired of being mislead and fooled by these warmongers. India needs to be militarily very strong as world is going thru a phase where "might is right" is being followed.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
After Nikki Haley’s comment, US says India, Pakistan should talk directly to each other

The United States on Tuesday said India and Pakistan should resolve their differences through “direct dialogue”, indicating continuity in its stated position, contrary to the shift suggested by its ambassador to UN, Nikki Haley.
The 45-year-old Haley surprised both Indians and Americans when at a news conference on Monday she said the US under President Donald Trump would like to “find its place” in efforts to de-escalate tensions between the two Asian neighbours.

“We have and continue to encourage India and Pakistan to work together to resolve any differences,” the spokesperson said.

Haley, who will be the UN security council president for the month of April, had said the US should be “proactive” in its efforts to de-escalate India-Pakistan tension and “we don’t think we should wait till something happens”. It wasn’t clear then if that was the position of the Trump administration, as it marked a significant policy shift.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Let me get the facts straight for you. I am an Indian American. Americans love Indian Americans ...most Americans think that Indian Americans are good citizens, and are not trouble makers.
I never came across any American who hated me just because I am an Indian American.
So these isolated incidents on attack on Indian Americans are overblown by bought media...the reality is that there is more love for Indian origin people in USA than hate. I confirm this. Lots of American wish well to India and want India to flourish as a democracy and open society. Some even admire the culture and Indian civilization exemplified by Yoga, meditation, peaceful coexistence and universal brotherhood.
An average American is a decent human being. Its the evil politicians...the warmongers. the pathological narcissists who have too much power as they are capable of misleading and brainwashing an average American
to support wars, atrocities and world dominance. People are waking up here..they are tired of being mislead and fooled by these warmongers. India needs to be militarily very strong as world is going thru a phase where "might is right" is being followed.
Most important, household income of Indian Americans is higher than any other ethnic group in US, even higher than whites!:biggrin2:

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to visit US, Russia this week

NEW DELHI: Finance MinisterArun Jaitley will visit the US this week to attend the 2017 Spring Meetings of the World Bankand IMF before travelling to Moscow to boost military ties with Russia.

Jaitley will leave for Washington on Wednesday and will attend the World Bank-IMF meetings from April 21-23, official sources said.

The meetings bring together central bankers, ministers of finance and development, private sector executives and academics to discuss issues of global concern, including the world economic outlook, global financial stability, poverty eradication, jobs and growth, economic development, and aid effectiveness.

Jaitley, who has regularly attended the meetings since becoming the Finance Minister in May 2014, is also likely to use the opportunity to meet his counterparts from countries like the US, the sources said.

Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das will also be there in the US for the World Bank and IMF meetings.

From Washington, Jaitley will travel to Moscow for a two-day visit from April 25.

Jaitley, who also holds additional charge of Defence Ministry, will discuss bilateral ties with Kremlin.The two nations, which had strong ties during the Cold War, had in October last year announced multi-billion dollar deals, when President Vladimir Putin visited India.

They had announced plans for a joint venture to build helicopters in India.Also, New Delhi had decided to buy surface-to-air missile systems and stealth frigates from Moscow as the two nations look to deepen military ties. Both the countries also agreed on plans to build and supply stealth frigates to the Indian navy.

Sources said during his Moscow visit, Jaitley is likely to meet Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu to discuss bilateral ties. He will return to the capital on April 27.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-us-russia-this-week/articleshow/58223383.cms

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Former Pentagon official says India "biggest strategic opportunity" for the US
Apr 26, 2017 | 11:24 IST | SOURCE : Times Now, Agencies

Washington: A former official of the Pentagon has described India as the "biggest strategic opportunity" for the US, and in order to achieve better cooperation, stressed upon the need for ambition and “mutual flexibility” between the two countries.

Kelly Magsamen, the former US principal deputy assistant secretary of defence for Asian and pacific security affairs said "I would say the biggest strategic opportunity is India," in a Congressional hearing on Asia Pacific region.

"The US and India increasingly share a common strategic outlook on the Asia Pacific, especially a mutual concern over Chinese military modernisation and adventurism, but the question here is, can we reach a new level of cooperation to place limits on Chinese ambition?
"I believe it is possible, but only if the United States and India together persist in overcoming the suspicions of the past and build stronger habits of actual cooperation. And this is going to require the US and Indian systems, which are not naturally compatible, to demonstrate mutual flexibility as well as ambition”, she added.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s policy ‘Act East’ seems to be strategic and very compatible with US rebalance.

"But more importantly, we share common values as the world's two largest democracies and as well as a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. In many ways, we are natural partners," she said.

Even Ashton Carter, former US defence secretary described India as "Major Defence Partner" of the US. This gives India a unique status in terms of sharing technology and defence trade.

"I was pleased to see National Security Adviser LTG HR McMaster recently reaffirm the US-India Strategic Partnership and specifically our defence cooperation with India. It is essential that we sustain the momentum," Magsamen said.

In order to prevent bureaucracies from hampering the chance of progress, the top leadership from both countries need to push for growth.

"I found that we often stand in our own way. But India also has to demonstrate that it is prepared to let go of its old fears. The US does not seek an actual alliance, nor should we, but we do seek a meaningful partnership that benefits us too," she said.

"Our strategic partnership will reach its value limits in the defence realm, if we cannot build practical habits of cooperation. For example, we need to operate and exercise more together and with others, facilitate more exchanges of our military personnel, and regularise our defence dialogues at
every level," Magsamen added.

http://www.timesnow.tv/internationa...iggest-strategic-opportunity-for-the-us/59968

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India Will Maintain Ties With Russia Independent Of United States: Ashley Tellis

A top US expert has said India will maintain its relationship with Russia independent of the US.

Washington: India will maintain its relationship with Russia "independent of the US" as Moscow is willing to provide in depth capabilities and technologies which America would not offer, a top US expert has said.

"I think India will always have a relationship with Russia independent of the United States for a very simple reason, that the Russians have been far more willing to providing in depth strategic capabilities and strategic technologies of the kind that we would not either for reasons of policy or law," Ashley Tellis, a senior fellow of the Carnegie Endowment for International Relations told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee yesterday.

"Our objective with India has been more subtle than I think has been expressed often in the public commentary. The United States has approached India with a view to building its own capabilities, rather than seeking to forge an alliance," Mr Tellis said in response to a question from Senator Elizabeth Warren.

"Some have recently suggested that India is playing the US and Russia against each other for its own benefit. Do you think that is true and do you believe that this is something the US should be concerned about?" she asked.

Ms Warren said the US-India relationship has evolved over the past decade from one of distance to a close strategic partnership.

"In just the past few years alone, the US Department of Defense has named India a major defence partner and established the Defense Technology Trade Initiative," she said.

"But India famously values its non-alignment in foreign policy and it has a long-standing relationship with Russia.

Even today, Russia is India's primary arms supplier and whereas the US emphasises restrictions on the use of force, Russian arms come with very few strings attached," Ms Warren said.

Ashley Tellis said America's calculation has been that if India can stand on its own feet, and if India can help balance China independently, then that's a good thing for the US irrespective of what they do with the US bilaterally.

"I think that policy is a sensible one and we ought to pursue it. Let me say one other thing about Russia," he said.

According to Mr Tellis, Indians have come around to the recognition that Russia today no longer has the kind of cutting-edge capabilities that it did during the days of the Soviet Union.

"And that the Russians are not particularly reliable with respect to providing advanced conventional technologies of the kind that the US has," he said.

"So while they want to keep the relationship with Russia in good repair, because they have a substantial, military hardware. They want to diversity and the US is number one on the diversification plan," Mr Tellis said.

Last edited:

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India offers biggest strategic opportunity to US, says former Pentagon official

India is the “biggest strategic opportunity” for the US and the two countries should demonstrate “mutual flexibility” as well as ambition to reach a new level of cooperation, a former top Pentagon official has said. “I would say the biggest strategic opportunity is India,” Kelly Magsamen, the former US principal deputy assistant secretary of defence for Asian and pacific security affairs told members of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee during a Congressional hearing on Asia Pacific region.

The US and India increasingly share a common strategic outlook on the Asia Pacific, especially a mutual concern over Chinese military modernisation and adventurism, but the question here is, can we reach a new level of cooperation to place limits on Chinese ambition?

“I believe it is possible, but only if the United States and India together persist in overcoming the suspicions of the past and build stronger habits of actual cooperation. And this is going to require the US and Indian systems, which are not naturally compatible, to demonstrate mutual flexibility as well as ambition,” Magsamen said.

The strategic logic behind Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Act East’ policy is highly compatible with that of the US rebalance. “But more importantly, we share common values as the world’s two largest democracies and as well as a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. In many ways, we are natural partners,” she said.

Last year, then defence secretary Ashton Carter designated India a “Major Defence Partner” of the US, a status unique to India that allows the two countries to cooperate more closely in defence, trade and technology sharing. “I was pleased to see National Security Adviser LTG HR McMaster recently reaffirm the US-India Strategic Partnership and specifically our defence cooperation with India. It is essential that we sustain the momentum,” Magsamen said.

For that to happen, leaderships have to drive it from the top lest both bureaucracies smother the chance of progress. “I found that we often stand in our own way. But India also has to demonstrate that it is prepared to let go of its old fears. The US does not seek an actual alliance, nor should we, but we do seek a meaningful partnership that benefits us too,” she said.

“Our strategic partnership will reach its value limits in the defence realm, if we cannot build practical habits of cooperation. For example, we need to operate and exercise more together and with others, facilitate more exchanges of our military personnel, and regularise our defence dialogues at every level,” Magsamen added.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
India downgraded in Trump era

May 13, 2017, 12:50 AM; (IST)

OFFICIAL Delhi is keeping its mouth firmly shut, but the first hundred days of US President Donald Trump have been disappointing for India on several counts.

First, despite the telephone exchanges between Washington and New Delhi, PM Narendra Modi seems to be at the bottom of the pile in receiving an invitation to the White House. Second, tightening the rules for the H-1B visa under his “America First” brand, he has hurt India the most. Third, in undertaking a 360-degree gyration on China, Mr Trump seeks a warming of relations with Beijing in his country’s interests.

Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe was among the first official visitor in the Trump era, with a mutual interest in golf, making the Florida retreat more productive. Among the other early guests of President Trump were Britain’s Theresa May, who got a pat on the back by leaving the EU, and Germany’s Angela Merkel whose proffered handshake for television cameras was not accepted.

Unsurprisingly, Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu joined the queue, and Mr Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian authority. Mr Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, now an official adviser, is a practising rabbi and has been given the Israel-Palestine folder in the illusion that the problem can be solved. An invitation to Egypt’s President al-Sistani raised eyebrows and Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who received a congratulatory call from the White House on narrowly winning a referendum giving him more powers while continuing to imprison thousands, is to visit Washington soon.

Indian companies receive about 70 per cent of the annual quota of H-1B visas. While raising the salary level for these visas and subjecting applicants to greater scrutiny, Trump administration officials have alleged that Indian companies have manipulated the visa system, a charge denied by the latter. Indian IT outfits are considering new avenues of cooperation, including the creation of more jobs for Americans.

The surprise in India has been how quickly Mr Trump has chosen to place India on the back burner. Of course, campaign rhetoric and the successful candidate’s action in office are two different propositions. He had patronised a minority group of Indian-American supporters and plagiarised Mr Modi’s jingle in the 2014 election, Ab ki bar Modi sarkar, to declare, Ab ki bar Trump sarkar, and spoke appreciatively about “Hindu India”, in his mind synonymous with a multi-religious nation.

President Trump’s twists and turns on China are truly amazing, even for an impetuous leader influenced by changes of mood. One constant theme of his campaign was China-baiting. He termed the country a currency “manipulator”, cast doubt of following a “one China” policy and did not have a good word for it. He accepted the “one China” policy before he had his first telephone conversation with President Xi Jinping, feasted him at his Florida retreat — no golf this time round — and even more remarkably, gave him the respect he has bestowed on no other leader, including Russia’s Vladimir Putin.

One reason for Mr Trump’s sudden love for Mr Xi is his hope for Chinese support in resolving the problem of North Korea’s nuclear programme. China, as North Korea’s lifeline, has imposed new sanctions on its neighbour. But Beijing is also keen to safeguard its own interests. It fears that the collapse of the regime of Kim Jong-un would mean thousands of refugees pouring into China and the eventual reunification of the two Koreas, a geopolitical moving of pieces that would benefit the US and its allies.

Whether it is the Israeli-Palestinian impasse or North Korea’s nuclear programme, President Trump is itching to solve problems. In the latter case, the assumption is that, if left unchecked, Pyongyang would be able to send a missile to continental United States and hence presents a potential danger.

Where does it leave India? Thus far President Trump has followed the traditional American policy of pacifying Islamabad with bigger or smaller crumbs of military and economic assistance. Surprisingly, Mr Trump’s representative in the UN, Ms Nikki Haley, threw up the idea of the US playing a role in untangling the Kashmir issue, but such statements are the staple diet of a new US administration.

Mr Modi devoted a lot of time and attention to making his number with former President Barack Obama. Now he has to start the process once again with the new occupant of the White House as and when he gets the opportunity of meeting up with him.

Good relations with the US are essential for India’s geopolitical health against the backdrop of the deterioration in Sino-Indian ties and a vengeful Pakistan all set to score points against India in Kashmir and using its close relationship with China to harm New Delhi’s interests. There is no indication that these equations will change in a hurry.

Perhaps the reason why President Trump is taking his time to talk to Mr Modi in a meaningful manner is that he realises that New Delhi has few options, with two hostile neighbours checkmating it at every turn. But if the feeling of neglect is aggravated, there would be consequences for America’s future role in the region.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/india-downgraded-in-trump-era/406143.html

bipin

Delhi is keeping its mouth firmly shut, but the first hundred days of US President Donald Trump have been disappointing for India on several counts.
There is nothing much to expect.

President Trump has a namesake stance on every policy. He will say just about anything which feels right, often contradicting himself in the same tweet. Those who expect him to be fair let alone presidential will be let down.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
PM Modi may meet US Prez Trump in June-end, discuss terrorism and H-1B visas
Narendra Modi is likely to visit Washington from June 26-28 and discuss with US President Trump about terrorism, NSG entry, H-1B visas among other issues.

Updated: May 14, 2017 15:25 IST

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to meet US President Donald Trump in Washington in the last week of June, with terrorism emanating from Pakistan dominating the agenda, sources said on Sunday.

In his first meeting with Trump after the developer-turned-politician took over as the President in January, Modi is also expected to discuss India’s entry into the nuclear suppliers group, changes in the H-1B visa regime, defence ties between the two sides and China’s increasingly aggressive stance in east and south Asia.

While top Indian officials are tight-lipped about the dates of the visit, US government sources indicated Modi would be in Washington from June 26 to June 28. The two leaders could meet again in Hanover, Germany on the sidelines of the July 7-8 G-20 meeting.

Discussions on the agenda of the Modi-Trump meeting had begun with Indian ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna extending his New Delhi visit beyond the heads of mission meeting on May 7, sources in the ministry of external affairs said.

Indication that terrorism will top the agenda came during the meetings US national security adviser HR McMaster, who was in Delhi recently, had with his Indian counterpart Ajit Doval, foreign secretary S Jaishankar and intelligence chiefs on April 17.

Acting FBI director Andrew McCabe, too, was keen on exchange of evidence about terror groups during his India visit the same month. McCabe was then the deputy to James B Comey, who was fired by Trump on May 9.

Both McMaster and McCabe heard the Indian side on terror emanating from Af-Pak region and the growing influence of Islamic State Wilayat Khorasan module in Nangarhar in Afghanistan.

There are reports that a group of Indians, including women and children, from north Kerala has escaped to the remote eastern Afghanistan. The war-torn province made headlines last month when the US military dropped GBU-43 bomb, the country’s largest non-nuclear bomb ever deployed in combat.

It is too early to predict the outcome of Modi-Trump meetings but there could be a definite movement in the extradition of 26/11 Mumbai attack accused Tahawwur Rana, a Pakistani-born Chicago businessman who helped Lashkar-e-Taiba’s David Coleman Headley with his travels as he scouted sites in India for the terror strikes at the behest of his handlers in the Pakistan’s powerful spy agency the ISI.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-h-1b-visas/story-LJLa0ahZKz8s8vaWf8HYcJ.html

Tarun Kumar

US will always play all sides of fence. We should get our benefits and not hope for any special relationship like that exists between China and Pak. We are on our own.

prohumanity

Country flag
USA is India's are natural ally. Both are democratic nations believers in freedom and liberty . Both are multicultural and multilingual societies. The educational system and legal systems are almost identical.
Both nations are technology savvy. Both are believers in free enterprise and individual property rights.
The closest natural ally to India is undoubtedly United States.

In contrast , Communist China hardly has much in common with India. Not a multiparty democracy, no liberty and no property rights in China. Do you know that all the land in China is owned by the state and people own only the building structure. Govt is extremely powerful and people have not much power. Most businesses are controlled directly or indirectly by Communist party whose comrades are very powerful and average Chinese has to keep his/her head down and keep working in sweat shops. This is the account given by a friend who just returned from 6 month visit to China. People there live in fear and look disciplined .

All you see on roads are mostly bicycles and not many cars. Only a few big cities have those shiny towers.
USA is 8 trillion dollar economy for 330 million people whereas China is 7 trillion dollar economy for 1300 million people. US military is more than 10 times as powerful as China.

Most Americans admire India and its culture. Many Americans are madly in love with Yoga and Meditation.
I made my point. US and India are beacons of mankind and I believe they have common destiny in coming decades.
As for Paki...this country is just a nuisance without much relevance...the breeding ground of terrorism.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
USA is India's are natural ally.
Despite them stating that they do not seek actual alliance. Our natural alliance does not help their interest in region. Cultural similarity between people of two states does not necessarily give proper excuse for actual alliance between governments/authorities/establishments.

As for Paki...this country is just a nuisance without much relevance...the breeding ground of terrorism
Everything Pak has, they got it with support from beacon of mankind. Everytime, you ask this question to American, they say India had made alliance against US with Soviets, thus US had to make alliance with Pisslamic Republic.

US and India are beacons of mankind and I believe they have common destiny in coming decades.
Can you elaborate the point of India and US becoming beacon of human kind, especially US. When did US become a champion/beacon of humanity?

prohumanity

Country flag
I did not mean the US is perfect. No nation is perfect. I would choose US anytime over throat cutter, fanatical, islamic barbarians....I would choose US over communists where you have to ask permission to breathe from your super comerades... US is free, developed and there is a chance for everyone to voice their opinion. Luckily, India also have freedom of speech and democracy.. I see many fundamental values which converge between US and India.
If US is not great..why people from every corner of the World want to come and live here ? There has to be something great about this nation.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If America becomes stronger, India will be a natural beneficiary: PM Narendra Modi to US CEOs

WASHINGTON: Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said India has now emerged as a business-friendly destination, more so with the upcoming implementation of landmarkGST beginning next month, while askingCEOs of top US companies to invest in the country.

Modi, during his meeting with the CEOs of top 20 American firms, also said that India attracted the largest amount of foreign directinvestment (FDI) as a result of the NDA government's policies in the last three years.

In the round table interaction with the group that included Tim Cook of Apple, Sunder Pichai from Google, John Chambers from Cisco and Jeff Bezos of Amazon, he spoke about the reforms undertaken by his government, saying they numbered over 7,000, and were aimed at "ease of (doing) business and minimum government, maximum governance."

"Interacted with top CEOs. We held extensive discussions on opportunities in India," Modi tweeted after the meeting that lasted for about 90 minutes.

He said the world is now focused on India's economy, especially in areas like manufacturing, trade, commerce, and people-to-people contact, due to a young population and a rising middle-class.

"The whole world is looking at India. 7,000 reforms alone by GOI for ease of (doing) business and minimum government, maximum governance," Gopal Bagley, spokesman of the Ministry of External Affairs quoting the prime minister as saying.

India's growth presents a win-win partnership for the country and the US, and American companies have a great opportunity to contribute to that, Modi told the CEOs.

"If America becomes stronger, India will be a natural beneficiary," he said.

On the Goods and Services Tax (GST), Modi said implementation of GST is a complex task that may well turn out to be "a subject of studies in US business schools."

"This shows India can take big decisions and implement them swiftly," he said.

During the interaction at the Willard Hotel, where he is staying, Modi gave a patient hearing to the wish-list of the top bosses.
The Prime Minister pointed out opportunities for tourism through developing hotels in "PPP (public private partnership) model" at 500 railway stations, Baglay said.

Modi said his government has focused on improving the quality of life of the people, and added that working towards this end requires a global partnership.

Therefore, he added, India is working on principles like 'Minimum Government, Maximum Governance', efficiency, transparency, growth and benefit for all.

"In concluding remarks, PM stresses imp of coopn 4 start up, innovation &tapping huge intellectual, edu & vocational training potential in India," Baglay tweeted.

The CEOs lauded the Prime Minister's initiatives of demonetisation and digitisation of economy and the GST, the spokesman said.

The CEOs also expressed support for 'Make in India', 'Digital India', 'Start Up India' and other flagship initiatives of the government.

According to Indian officials present at the meeting, several CEOs showed willingness to be partners in skill development and education initiatives in India. They also mentioned social initiatives being undertaken by their companies in India in women empowerment, digital technology, education and food processing.

Infrastructure, defence manufacturing and energy security also came up for discussion during the meeting.

"CEOs applaud reform measures and steps taken by the government to improve ease of doing business," Baglay tweeted.

"CEOs outline priorities in India and suggestions for mutually beneficial partnerships in line with inclusive growth," he said, adding that they reaffirmed their commitment to growing with India and attested to its attractiveness as an FDI destination.

Pichai told reporters after the meeting that they were excited about investing in India.

Praising the steps being taken by the Indian government in the last three years, he said the US companies are looking forward to the roll out of the GST.

"Good," said Cook as he emerged out of the meeting.

The US-India Business Council (USIBC) president Mukesh Aghi said the CEOs praised the reforms being undertaken by the Prime Minister and underscore his efforts to make India a business-friendly destination.

Responding to a question, Aghi said the H-1B visa issue was not discussed at the meeting.

Among other CEOs present at the meeting were Shantanu Narayen from Adobe, Ajay Banga from Mastercard, David Farr from Emerson, Doug McMillon from Walmart, and Punit Renjen from Deloitte Global, Jim Umpleby from Caterpillar, Alex Gorsky from Johnson and Johnson, Jamie Dimon from J P Morgan Chase, and Marillyn Hewson from Lockheed Martin. USIBC president Aghi was also present.

Posting a picture of the prime minister with the CEOs on Twitter, Bagley said, "strengthening the Indo-US economic partnership".
In a recent policy document, USIBC said the US-India commercial and strategic relationship supports global security, promotes economic growth and creates jobs for both countries and the global economy.

"Today, as we witness a paradigm shift in the erstwhile global order, an opportunity has emerged for both countries to set new standards in bilateral ties that will be bound by their shared values," USIBC said.

Noting that US-India trade has tripled over the last decade, reaching a historic high of nearly USD 110 billion in 2015, USIBC said there is an opportunity for both the countries to also sync their regulatory and standards system to increase trade and investment.

In a separate statement, Jagdip Ahluwalia, executive director of Indo American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Houston, said the United States and India share a very symbiotic relationship, and Modi's first face to face visit with Donald Trump is important to strengthen the relationship between the two.

"On behalf of Houston, the energy capital of the world and home of the world's largest Medical Center the IACCGH and the strong Indian American community hope to welcome Prime Minister Modi to Houston in the not too distant future," Ahluwalia said.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/pol...s-gst-a-game-changer/articleshow/59316001.cms

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India, US Share 'Ambitious Horizons', Writes PM Modi In An Op-Ed

With India's biggest tax reform set to be launched later this week, PM Modi writes that the "transformation of India presents abundant commercial and investment opportunities for American businesses."
Edited by Abhishek Chakraborty | Updated: Jun 26,

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold talks with US President Donald Trump in Washington today

Story Highlights
  • PM Modi writes op-ed on US-India in the Wall Street Journal
  • Pitches mega reform GST to American businesses
  • Whenever India, US work together, the world reaps benefits, he said
Washington: Writing about a "growing convergence" between India and the US, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pitched the mega reform Goods and Services Tax (GST) to American business in a signed article in the Wall Street Journal. PM Modi is on a visit to the US and will meet President Donald Trump today.

"The logic of our strategic relationship is incontrovertible. It is further underpinned by faith in the strength of our multicultural societies that have defended our values at all costs, including the supreme sacrifices we've made in distant corners of the globe," the Prime Minister writes, and also, "I expect the next few decades to be an even more remarkable story of ambitious horizons, convergent action and shared growth."

"The logic of our strategic relationship is incontrovertible. It is further underpinned by faith in the strength of our multicultural societies that have defended our values at all costs, including the supreme sacrifices we've made in distant corners of the globe," the Prime Minister writes.

He has described the two countries as "mutually reinforcing engines of growth and innovation" in an "uncertain global economic landscape" and has noted that "bilateral trade, which already totals about $115 billion a year, is poised for a multi-fold increase. Indian companies are adding value to the manufacturing and services sectors in the U.S., with total investments of approximately $15 billion and a presence in more than 35 states, including in the Rust Belt. American companies have likewise fueled their global growth by investing more than $20 billion in India."

With India's biggest tax reform set to be launched later this week, PM Modi writes that the "transformation of India presents abundant commercial and investment opportunities for American businesses."

"The roll-out of the Goods and Services Tax on July 1 will, in a single stroke, convert India into a unified, continent-sized market of 1.3 billion people. The planned 100 smart cities, the massive modernization of ports, airports, and road and rail networks, and the construction of affordable housing for all by 2022 - the 75th anniversary of India's independence - are not just promises of great urban renewal within India. These plans also showcase the enormous fruits of our relationships with enterprising U.S. partners-worth many billions of dollars over the next decade alone-together with concomitant new employment opportunities across both societies," he writes.

He has listed defence as an area of convergence, saying, "Both India and the U.S. have an overriding interest in securing our societies, and the world, from the forces of terrorism, radical ideologies and nontraditional security threats. India has four decades' experience in fighting terrorism, and we share the U.S. administration's determination to defeat this scourge."

The two countries have partnered on "global good," PM Modi writes, adding that, "Whenever India and the U.S. work together, the world reaps the benefits - be it our collaborative efforts to find affordable vaccines for rotavirus or dengue, our joint studies of gravitational waves, observations of distant planets, establishing norms for cyberspace, providing humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in the Indo-Pacific region, or training peacekeepers in Africa."

India's partnership with the US, the Prime Minister writes, extends "far beyond the Beltway and the Raisina Hill. That partnership has become our privileged prerogative and our promise for our people and our world."

On Sunday PM Modi met top American CEOs and said India's growth presents a "win-win partnership for India and US both." He meets President Trump in Washington today, there first meeting since the latter took office. As PM Modi landed in the US, President Trump called him a "true friend" with whom he had "important strategic issues to discuss". The two leaders will spend around five hours together today, first holding bilateral discussions and delegation-level talks, followed by a reception and a working dinner at the White House.

Yggdrasil

Country flag
The actual article is behind a paywall, can someone paste here?

prohumanity

Country flag
P M Modi is doing the thing which is best for India. Anti BJP forces will try every dirty trick such as making minorities fearful and using caste, regionalism, local language cards etc. because BJP policies against corruption, bribery and red tap is digging the grave of corrupt politicians, shoddy businessmen and bribe addicted bank and govt. employees .

Its question of these peoples very financial existence which will take away their power to buy votes. Likes of Lalu,Mamta, Maya are trebling because they know the old game of instigating people in name of caste, religion, regionalism is not going to work as Indians are seeing such manipulations esp. the game of making Muslims paranoid so they remain vote bank of Congress.

If BJP govt can truly clean the system and end corruption... believe me billions and billions of dollar investments will flow to India. Lets hope anti BJP forces do not succeed in sabotaging this great opportunity for India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles