India, US discuss plans to develop next-gen aircraft carrier

Country flag

To bolster the Indian Navy's blue-water capabilities, India and US will develop a next-generation aircraft carrier.

WASHINGTON: India and the US have started discussions to jointly develop a next-generation aircraft carrier to bolster the Indian Navy's blue-water capabilities, a top Pentagon official has said.

During US President Barack Obama's visit to India in January, the two countries had announced the establishment of a working group for the proposed aircraft carrier, which held its first ever meeting here last month.

The Indian delegation led by Vice Admiral SPS Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Western Naval Command, also visited the US Navy's state-of-the-art aircraft carrier - PCU Gerald Ford - currently under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia, and received briefs on US Navy management of aircraft carrier programmes.

"The impression that I was left with in my discussion with Vice Admiral Cheema is that it exceeded our expectations," Keith Webster, director and International Cooperation Office of the Under Secretary of Defence for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, said.

"There was an incredible amount of time spent on answering questions from the Indian delegation specific to how do we manage acquisition of an aircraft carrier, which is a hugely complex journey," he said.

The delegation met with senior Pentagon officials, and toured the US Navy's research and development facilities for aircraft carrier launch and recovery systems as a first step to exploring opportunities for cooperation.

"We answered every question that they had. And I think the realisation for Indian colleagues was that aircraft carrier technology and construction is very unique and that a large part of which is controlled by the US Navy and the US government," Webster said.

Noting that the US Navy has its own in-house design team supported by industry and owns majority of the technology, Webster said the good news is because the US government has such control over aircraft carrier development, design and technology; tactics and techniques, it has greater latitude than other technologies like jet engines where it can control the decisions in a way that it cannot in some other industry.

The next step would be the Indian Navy hosting the US Navy within the next six months or so to continue to focus on the way ahead, he said.

"We believe there are opportunities to provide technical advice to the Indian Navy given our long history of aircraft carrier design and evolution," said the senior Department of Defence official.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...gen-aircraft-carrier/articleshow/48983992.cms

blueblood

I don't get it. Is US offering help for INS Vishal or are they trying to sell something India don't need right now, i.e. a next gen carrier?

Country flag
I don't get it. Is US offering help for INS Vishal or are they trying to sell something India don't need right now, i.e. a next gen carrier?
I am interpreting it as an offer for a new class of carriers ?

From article:

Noting that the US Navy has its own in-house design team supported by industry and owns majority of the technology, Webster said the good news is because the US government has such control over aircraft carrier development, design and technology; tactics and techniques, it has greater latitude than other technologies like jet engines where it can control the decisions in a way that it cannot in some other industry.

blueblood

I am interpreting it as an offer for a new class of carriers ?
Then we are on the same page and a very disappointing one at that. Navy don't need a new carrier for atleast 20 years or even more. Also US dont need new carrier designs. Ford class will replace the Nimitz class on a one on one basis.

warrior monk

To bolster the Indian Navy's blue-water capabilities, India and US will develop a next-generation aircraft carrier.

WASHINGTON: India and the US have started discussions to jointly develop a next-generation aircraft carrier to bolster the Indian Navy's blue-water capabilities, a top Pentagon official has said.

During US President Barack Obama's visit to India in January, the two countries had announced the establishment of a working group for the proposed aircraft carrier, which held its first ever meeting here last month.

The Indian delegation led by Vice Admiral SPS Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Western Naval Command, also visited the US Navy's state-of-the-art aircraft carrier - PCU Gerald Ford - currently under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia, and received briefs on US Navy management of aircraft carrier programmes.

"The impression that I was left with in my discussion with Vice Admiral Cheema is that it exceeded our expectations," Keith Webster, director and International Cooperation Office of the Under Secretary of Defence for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, said.

"There was an incredible amount of time spent on answering questions from the Indian delegation specific to how do we manage acquisition of an aircraft carrier, which is a hugely complex journey," he said.

The delegation met with senior Pentagon officials, and toured the US Navy's research and development facilities for aircraft carrier launch and recovery systems as a first step to exploring opportunities for cooperation.

"We answered every question that they had. And I think the realisation for Indian colleagues was that aircraft carrier technology and construction is very unique and that a large part of which is controlled by the US Navy and the US government," Webster said.

The next step would be the Indian Navy hosting the US Navy within the next six months or so to continue to focus on the way ahead, he said.

"We believe there are opportunities to provide technical advice to the Indian Navy given our long history of aircraft carrier design and evolution," said the senior Department of Defence official.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...gen-aircraft-carrier/articleshow/48983992.cms
The biggest help we need is electromagnetic catapult system , more efficient reactor to shaft power system coz the reactor needs to deliver 200000 shaft horse power .

Srinivas_K

Country flag
India needs atleast 2 carriers in the next 15 years.
A country gets respect based on its economy and military might.

We should asses the cost of operating the carriers and build 100000 ton carriers here in India.

Sylex21

Then we are on the same page and a very disappointing one at that. Navy don't need a new carrier for atleast 20 years or even more. Also US dont need new carrier designs. Ford class will replace the Nimitz class on a one on one basis.
No they are talking about America help with vishal. They are offering construction techniques, design help, probably elec mag etc... India has no plan for another carrier after vishal for now.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles