India To Test Fire Varunastra Torpedo From Russian EKM Class Submarine

WolfPack86

Country flag

India has decided to test domestically developed heavyweight torpedo Varunastra from Russian EKM class submarines. India’s anti-submarine torpedo will be going on trial from INS Sindhughosh submarine soon, Sputnik news reported today.

India has offered this underwater missile to Vietnam and hopes for large orders from several other naval forces around the world.

The anti-submarine will be going into production phase, said Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO).

The 7.6 meter long Varunastra contains 95% indigenous content which can travel at speeds of around 38 KT. A versatile naval weapon Varunastra has a strike range of 20 Kilometer.

Varunastra can be fired from the Rajput class destroyers, Delhi class and all future Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) ships that are capable of firing heavy weight torpedoes.

The weapon is capable of targeting quiet and stealthy submarines both in deep and littoral waters even in intense countermeasure atmosphere. DRDO also claimed that anti-submarine torpedo has GPS based locating aid.

Indian Navy had ordered 73 of the 1,500 kg wire-guided torpedoes for $132 million, which will be manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) in Hyderabad.

The Varunastra is an Indian advanced heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo, developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO for the Indian Navy.

The ship launched variant of Varunastra torpedo was formally inducted in the Indian navy by India's defence minister Manohar Parrikar on 26 June 2016. The minister in his speech said that the government is in favor of exporting the torpedo to friendly nations including Vietnam.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/I...rpedo-From-Russian-EKM-Class-Submarine-250539

Nadeem 6877

India has decided to test domestically developed heavyweight torpedo Varunastra from Russian EKM class submarines. India’s anti-submarine torpedo will be going on trial from INS Sindhughosh submarine soon, Sputnik news reported today.

India has offered this underwater missile to Vietnam and hopes for large orders from several other naval forces around the world.

The anti-submarine will be going into production phase, said Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO).

The 7.6 meter long Varunastra contains 95% indigenous content which can travel at speeds of around 38 KT. A versatile naval weapon Varunastra has a strike range of 20 Kilometer.

Varunastra can be fired from the Rajput class destroyers, Delhi class and all future Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) ships that are capable of firing heavy weight torpedoes.

The weapon is capable of targeting quiet and stealthy submarines both in deep and littoral waters even in intense countermeasure atmosphere. DRDO also claimed that anti-submarine torpedo has GPS based locating aid.

Indian Navy had ordered 73 of the 1,500 kg wire-guided torpedoes for $132 million, which will be manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) in Hyderabad.

The Varunastra is an Indian advanced heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo, developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO for the Indian Navy.

The ship launched variant of Varunastra torpedo was formally inducted in the Indian navy by India's defence minister Manohar Parrikar on 26 June 2016. The minister in his speech said that the government is in favor of exporting the torpedo to friendly nations including Vietnam.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/I...rpedo-From-Russian-EKM-Class-Submarine-250539
I think it may be takhshak,the submarine launched version of varunastra.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
A versatile naval weapon Varunastra has a strike range of 20 Kilometer.

It says 'wire guided'. Range 20km! So it's guided by wires 20km long? :shock:

Secondly, it says the Indian Navy had ordered 73 of the $132 million torps. Why in dollars and not in rupees if it is an indigenous weapon system produced by BDL and being purchased by the Indian Navy?

Am I missing something here or am I just plain stupid? :confused1:

captscooby81

Country flag
The guidance wire acts as a medium for communication of data between the torpedo and the firing platform (ship or a submarine}. The wire is also a medium for communicating data for the guidance of the torpedo towards target during its underwater run.

DRDO has developed guidance wire spools for wire-guided torpedoes. The guidance wire of 26 km length has been divided into two spools of different lengths. Each spool has a two-core copper cable, wound with a special criss-cross winding technique for free unreeling of the cable during the underwater run of the torpedo.The entire length of the cable is free from pin holes. The two spools are interconnected by an underwater connector and can withstand a pressure of40 bar.

This system has undergone sea trials and performed satisfactorily. The system can be used for all future wire guided torpedoes having copper cable as medium of communication.

It says 'wire guided'. Range 20km! So it's guided by wires 20km long? :shock:

Secondly, it says the Indian Navy had ordered 73 of the $132 million torps. Why in dollars and not in rupees if it is an indigenous weapon system produced by BDL and being purchased by the Indian Navy?

Am I missing something here or am I just plain stupid? :confused1:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The guidance wire acts as a medium for communication of data between the torpedo and the firing platform (ship or a submarine}. The wire is also a medium for communicating data for the guidance of the torpedo towards target during its underwater run.

DRDO has developed guidance wire spools for wire-guided torpedoes. The guidance wire of 26 km length has been divided into two spools of different lengths. Each spool has a two-core copper cable, wound with a special criss-cross winding technique for free unreeling of the cable during the underwater run of the torpedo.The entire length of the cable is free from pin holes. The two spools are interconnected by an underwater connector and can withstand a pressure of40 bar.

This system has undergone sea trials and performed satisfactorily. The system can be used for all future wire guided torpedoes having copper cable as medium of communication.
Wow! An obstacle free run for 20 kms without the wires getting entangled!! And I wonder how large the spools are? 20 km of wire must occupy a lot of space, what?

mahesh

Country flag
Few years ago, i heard in this forum about indian torpedos slowing down at the later part of its mission, has it been rectified ?

captscooby81

Country flag
Well its basically an optic fibre cable not sure what our indian DRDO guys are using copper cable s or something advanced the french navy is planning to induct F21 manufactured by DCNS for its navy ..

Wow! An obstacle free run for 20 kms without the wires getting entangled!! And I wonder how large the spools are? 20 km of wire must occupy a lot of space, what?

Saichand K

Country flag
Varunastra acts as a wire guided missile until the communication through spools is active after which it uses active/passive homing for the job to be done. Yes, The length of copper spool would occupy a lot of space. But this is highly reliable form of communication in a dense medium like sea water.

Saichand K

Country flag
Few years ago, i heard in this forum about indian torpedos slowing down at the later part of its mission, has it been rectified ?
I think those issues are resolved as demonstrated in numerous navy user trails.

deepak ghanvatkar

Optical fibre can definitely transmit more data but has to be rugged like the copper wires which it is intended to replace....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles