India To Drop Joint Missile Plan With France

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
India To Drop Joint Missile Plan With France

After last week’s visit of the Indian Prime Minister to France, India has indicated that it will not go ahead with the development of a missile defence system in a joint venture which France has been offering since 2008.

Senior Defence Ministry sources said that a $500-million (proposal from European missile maker MDBA to jointly produce low-level quick reaction missiles (LLQRM) or short-range surface-to-air missiles (SR-SAMs) was “not happening”. The missile development project was called “Maitri” project.

The “Maitri” missile project was to be a technological collaboration between European missile maker MBDA, India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and defence public sector unit Bharat Dynamics Limited. The LLQRMS were to be designed to replace the outdated OSA-AK Soviet-era missile defence systems for the Indian Navy
and the Air Force.

The recent denial from India has also upset the DRDO’s plan to put into action the experience it gained in developing indigenous missile (“Akash” short range missile which was aborted) and fuse that knowledge with the advance seeker and guidance systems from MBDA’s MICA missile.

Meanwhile, the junking of the “Maitri” missile project may have a positive effect on Israel. It may be noted that in 2007, the Indian Air Force contracted 18 Spyder missile systems for about $395.4 million from Israel in which Rafael was the contractor with Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) being the major sub-contractor. However, IAI was blacklisted by the Indian Defence Ministry in May 2009. However, the ban on the various firms may be lifted soon.

Israel is currently trying to tap the Indian missile market since India’s military is in need of at least 1,000 short-range surface-to-air missiles. India will be the launch customer for Rafael’s Spyder missile system.

India To Drop Joint Missile Plan With France | India Defence Online

tharikiran

Country flag
It seems MBDA is a consolidation of European missile companies.It includes British, France,Germany, Italy.

Hope, this does not upset the French much.
Anyway, Rafael is directly gaining, thanks to subcontracting.

Real loser is DRDO as it won't be able to extend knowledge gained in Akash.

They might however get the chance with missiles being developed with Israel.

NikSha

Someone REALLY needs to look into all the defense deals happening. Something isn't right.

rocky

Manmohan Govt is performing terrible on external affairs front. I think they need an experienced wise hand like Pranab back. Krishna is utterly incapable of handling things. He is fast becoming Shivraj Patil.

Country flag
if this system is redundant or performing differently than advertised;we maybe developing something indigenously(land based ASTRA??) we don't need to buy

venom

DFI Technocrat
So now what is the replacement for SR-SAM. Trishul & Maitri have been canceled....What options do v have now.

Is it not possible For IAF to induct a version or Barak-1 which is already operational On IN vessels..?

ajay_ijn

Country flag
So what will replace short range IR guided SAMs of IAF & IN? SPYDER?

s_bman

M hearing this for the 1st time.....An order for 16 Akash launchers has already been placed.

My Advice to you - Read a bit before you post.

i think u got me wrong mate................i was just pointing to an anomaly in article singh posted..................................so u read before you post
:bye:

J

John

18 Spyder systems wont do the job, i think we'll have to order more of them armed with Python-5 and Derby missiles. But its obvious we need something home-made.

venom

DFI Technocrat
18 wont be enough.....India should induct atleast 40 SpyDar sam launchers along with associated systems

Global Defence

New threads

Articles