India to Buy 4 more P-8I aircraft to counter Chinese Submarines in Indian ocean

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
India to Buy 4 more P-8I aircraft to counter Chinese Submarines in Indian ocean

Talks between the Navy and Boeing for four additional P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft are at an advanced stage with the Cost Negotiating Committee (CNC) having recently completed the negotiations. The Navy already has eight aircraft on order.

Ministry sources told The Hindu that cost negotiations have been completed recently and the file would soon be sent to the Defence Ministry’s finance wing.

From the finance wing, the file will go to the Finance Ministry before being put up for final approval before the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by the Prime Minister.In 2009, India signed a contract for eight P-8Is in a deal worth $ 2.2 billion from Boeing under a direct commercial deal with an optional clause for four more.

The Navy which is quite satisfied with the aircraft has decided to exercise the optional clause and negotiations have been going on for about a year.

Seven aircraft have already been inducted and are based in Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu. The last aircraft is expected to be delivered by October.

The P-8I is a next generation surveillance aircraft based on Boeing 737 commercial airliner and India is its first international customer. It is meant to replace the legacy of Russian aircraft currently in service. India had also purchased 26 Harpoon anti-ship missiles from the US to equip the P-8Is.

http://idrw.org/india-to-buy-4-more-p-8i-aircraft-to-counter-chinese-submarines-in-indian-ocean/

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Better news but.....What are we doing with our indigenous project?

sob

Mod
Country flag
Good news. This has proved its worth.
I wonder what would be the optimum number for the IN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indiandefencefan

Country flag
A total of 12 P8s is ultimately still inadequate for effective control over the IOR but an additional order is a good step towards it.

:india::india:

blueblood

12 P-8s are good enough for now. Few additional units can be ordered further down the line as assembly lines are supposed to be operational till post 2020.

Also, P-8s are to be supplemented by MQ-4 and MRMR which I am quite hopeful will be the C-295MPA.

Bheeshma

Ideally IN needs 16 P-8I's and 24 MRMPs (hopefully on C-295 or MTA) to cover IOR. The Tu-142 and IL-38 will last till 2030 but not beyond.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Oh great! Buy everything but the Submarines that you need to really maintain control!

Seriously though i am all for more Poseidons, Bears and Mays all of these aircraft are primarily early warning and support elements for the subs that will have to do most of the Sub hunting themselves. We are going nowhere with only aircraft.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles