India should have nuclear attack submarines: France

pyromaniac

Founding Member
France on Friday gave its backing to India developing a nuclear attack submarine fleet, with a senior naval officer saying it was a "legitimate" step as the country emerges as a major global force.

The commander of the French Joint Forces in the Indian Ocean, Vice Admiral Gerard Valin, said India's military assets had to develop to reflect its position as a key world player, including in maintaining world stability.

Asked if that meant having nuclear attack submarines, he told reporters in Mumbai: "For me it's legitimate."

"A nuclear-propelled submarine gives you mobility. France has a nuclear deterrent. To have a nuclear deterrent you must have submarines capable of ensuring the security of a large area," he added.

"I think that India will be in the same situation" in the future, he said.

India's naval chief said in 2007 that the country's first domestically built nuclear-powered submarine would be ready for sea trials by this year.

The vessel is expected to be an adaptation of the Russian Charlie II class submarine and capable of firing nuclear warheads.

Since then, India has test-fired nuclear-capable ballistic missiles from undersea platforms as part of an ongoing programme to develop land and sea-borne nuclear and conventional missile systems.

France and India have been steadily developing military ties.

Last week the Indian and French navies took part in anti-submarine exercises off the coast of the western state of Goa, said Valin.

India's navy is also involved in the international effort to combat piracy off the Horn of Africa. Part of Valin's mandate is marine law enforcement, including targeting high seas hijacks by armed bandits in the same area.

In October 2005 India signed contracts worth 2.4 billion euros (3.8 billion dollars) with Armaris, which is owned by France's Thales, and European defence firm MBDA to buy six Scorpene submarines.

They are being assembled in India and are slated to begin operations from 2015.

French companies are also looking to make inroads into India's civilian atomic energy market, following the lifting last year of an embargo on nuclear deals with India imposed in 1974 after New Delhi staged nuclear tests.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jhrNyEq2is6k4KZqjgZTMNBUgVog

well..India is racking up the endorsements isn't it?

Pintu

Now, India has the backing of Sarkozy.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Are French planning to sell or lease one of their nuclear subs?
French r really good business men.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Guys tell me one thing, is it possible that scorpenes can be fitted with nuclear reactors if needed?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Guys tell me one thing, is it possible that scorpenes can be fitted with nuclear reactors if needed?
Lol, thats what I do wonder, let the Brazilian do it and we have the smallest nuclear submarine in the world, AFAIK Advanced Technology Vessel will be the smallest nuclear submarine and Skate class submarine are the smallest nuclear powered submarines ever built with 2,850 tons submerged.

expect a Scorpene fitted with a nuclear reactor to have a fat belly...lol

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
France is aware about the ATV and this statment gives legtimacy and acceptance about our ATV

France might want to sell its hunder class nuclear sub what is wrong in that

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
France is aware about the ATV and this statment gives legtimacy and acceptance about our ATV
France is making all the right noises, they have been very supportive of us throughout. Rafale scores more brownie points. India should seek to develop an even more closer all encompassing relationship with France.

Sir but then won't they will come without SLBMs and SLCMs of over 300km range ?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Singh,

The costs can be hidden in some deals. And letting the DDM cry for foul can give perfect camouflage. So they give some expertise in building and we use our weapons. What u say?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

Which one is the Hunder class?
I believe selling a Nuclear Submarine is close to impossible for France moreover leasing nuclear subs are very costly and also not feasible and you wont take a leased sub unless you are on a research and development process as in the case of India with its ATV and leased subs from Russia. And their is no scope for further study on ATV with regard to other nuclear subs around unless the project totally fails or India is in a hunt for some other class of SSBN/SSN.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Which one is the Hunder class?
I believe selling a Nuclear Submarine is close to impossible for France moreover leasing nuclear subs are very costly and also not feasible and you wont take a leased sub unless you are on a research and development process as in the case of India with its ATV and leased subs from Russia. And their is no scope for further study on ATV with regard to other nuclear subs around unless the project totally fails or India is in a hunt for some other class of SSBN/SSN.

It is hunter class, just typing mistake.

Adux

Country flag
People forget why France supports India's Nuclear Program: Chinese!

pyromaniac

Founding Member
It wouldn't make sense to do so..but like someone said Brazil is doing it. Attack subs that are nuclear powered are usually bigger than the scorpene because they need to dissipate the sound better and so the modified Scorpene wouldn't really be an efficient hunter-killer

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Obviously we should have nuclear attack submarines!
What kind of revelation is France trying to bring forth ?

I don't think we have been very secretive about our desire of a nuclear attack submarine fleet.

Nice to see you here Adux !
There's an introduction section you know...

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Why do we need a French nuclear submarine? There will be just too much noise about it. I think our own ATV is finally coming along nicely. We should have one ready in a few years.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Why do we need a French nuclear submarine? There will be just too much noise about it. I think our own ATV is finally coming along nicely. We should have one ready in a few years.
Is India planning to modify what design comes out of the ATV project to get an attack sub, as far as I am aware the ATV (what vessel comes from the program) is going to be an SSBN.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ Yes sir, ATV is in all likely hood going to be an SSBN. I think the French are dangling us a carrot, they would like India to co-operate with them in development of Barracuda.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
^^ Yes sir, ATV is in all likely hood going to be an SSBN. I think the French are dangling us a carrot, they would like India to co-operate with them in development of Barracuda.
Won't be a bad idea to cooperate... provided the terms are right...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles