India Seeks Armed U.S. Predator Drones

Hari Sud

Country flag
I doubt very much that US will ever part with this weapon system to anybody. India is last on their lists to get it.

Alternative is steal the technology and build your own.

apple

I doubt very much that US will ever part with this weapon system to anybody. India is last on their lists to get it.

Alternative is steal the technology and build your own.
India's certainly not last on the list, but you're not the first.

Seems to be a trend with Indian defence acquistions, demand the earth, i.e. the most advanced system possible with full TOT, get somekind of deal, and.... (hopefully not in this case) then screw it up somehow without anything getting delivered.

Understand some Rafales were delivered but the Indian Air Force must have been furious with the govenrment that that order never came close to being fulfilled. Likewise, the army was meant to get Javelins in 2010, they didn't and now they are meant to be getting Spike ATGM's. Have any Spikes been delivered yet? What about those lightweight howitzers?

Am aware this forum is almost all civilian, with a few defense contractors thrown in. But, the Indian military must be very disillusioned with their govt. There's, presumably, plenty of kit the Indian military needs and quite possibly needs urgently, but the govenrment, to me, doesn't seem interested in the "less sexy" equipment eg. body armour and optical sights for small arms and keeps chasing top-shelf stuff, and failing to get anything delivered.

sabari

Seems to be a trend with Indian defence acquistions, demand the earth, i.e. the most advanced system possible with full TOT, get somekind of deal, and.... (hopefully not in this case) then screw it up somehow without anything getting delivered.

Understand some Rafales were delivered but the Indian Air Force must have been furious with the govenrment that that order never came close to being fulfilled. Likewise, the army was meant to get Javelins in 2010, they didn't and now they are meant to be getting Spike ATGM's. Have any Spikes been delivered yet? What about those lightweight howitzers?

Am aware this forum is almost all civilian, with a few defense contractors thrown in. But, the Indian military must be very disillusioned with their govt. There's, presumably, plenty of kit the Indian military needs and quite possibly needs urgently, but the govenrment, to me, doesn't seem interested in the "less sexy" equipment eg. body armour and optical sights for small arms and keeps chasing top-shelf stuff, and failing to get anything delivered.
Apple every weaponry deal doesn't need to be finalized , negotiate is cat ,mouse game we only problem is we don't no who is cat and who is mouse. Indian government has bought 36 rafale and ordered for larger no of LCA tajes because they consider LCA tajes is suficent to take on jf17 thunder.
And it is also a bargaining tool against Russia AND france
About javellian israil provided us with better deal then USA so India choose spike. In super Hercules deal was signed because Russia does not have such equipment.
We are not Pakistani to sell everything for weapons

sabari

Apple every weaponry deal doesn't need to be finalized , negotiate is cat ,mouse game we only problem is we don't no who is cat and who is mouse. Indian government has bought 36 rafale and ordered for larger no of LCA tajes because they consider LCA tajes is suficent to take on jf17 thunder.
About javellian israil provided us with better deal then USA so India choose spike. In super Hercules deal was signed because Russia does not have such equipment.

sabari

sabari

Yeah, I perhaps didn't express myself that well.

I understand that India wants to improve its defense industry and is trying to do that with international partners, which is very sensible. But, to me it doesn't seem to be working too well as the government seems to be concentrating on complicated kit eg. rafales and ATGM's, when they could and should be making 75% (I just made that percentage up) of all your domestic equipment.

In this case, you have bought over 100 drones from Israel. They wouldn't have been cheap You, from my understanding, have manufactured 0 drones. Now, instead of trying to start licensed production of the Israeli drones, or making and manufacturing your own designs, you trying to get involved with the most advanced, complex drone in the world.

Should learn to crawl before you start walking/ running.
drones are in R&D PROCESS it will be ready in few years .but there is a major problem. Unlike your naibering country (Russia) we are facing terrist threat from pak dogs so we can't wait for indigenes drone to be used for counter terrorism .and lie between mad county and smart country (China).mad country is in self destructive mode to destroy India and China is dumping there junk in mad county to gain profit and strategic advantage so we need both state of art weapons and indigenous weapons in case of two front war and also all other country around us are unstable at this moment .though we are not aggressive we never involve in there issue but Chinese are taking this for there to encircle India so we can't wait for R&D to mature to meet our strategic needs

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Yeah, I perhaps didn't express myself that well.

I understand that India wants to improve its defense industry and is trying to do that with international partners, which is very sensible. But, to me it doesn't seem to be working too well as the government seems to be concentrating on complicated kit eg. rafales and ATGM's, when they could and should be making 75% (I just made that percentage up) of all your domestic equipment.

In this case, you have bought over 100 drones from Israel. They wouldn't have been cheap You, from my understanding, have manufactured 0 drones. Now, instead of trying to start licensed production of the Israeli drones, or making and manufacturing your own designs, you trying to get involved with the most advanced, complex drone in the world.

Should learn to crawl before you start walking/ running.
Agree with you about the 75% production rate (even if you made it up). But there are certain fields where you have to take a leap.

For eg submarines and destroyers. For decades we've been buying from Russia. But now after gaining enough knowledge and infra, we building our own. Unfortunately or because of some reasons we civilians don't know, the drone program hasn't worked out fast enough to compete on international platform. But the need to have such advanced drones has increased several times faster. In these cases we have to improvise and get the latest gear until we are able to cope up with the technology and production.

Sent from my HTC One_E8 dual sim using Tapatalk

sabari

OK, so you have a need for weapon carrying drones. Just like you have a need for ATGMs, airtransportable artillery, body armour, optical sights for small arms and (maybe) rafales.

You were talking before negotiations for weapons deals are a game of cat and mouse and I really have to disagree with you. That might be a good way to buy a used car cheaply. But, that's not how weapons deals work out and is not a good basis for establishing weapons development contracts.

Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility, in fact I think it's very likely, that this will be another Javelin deal. in that the Indian govt. will spend a couple fo years pressuring General Atomics, make some statement in the press about how everything is going great. Then they'll finally drop the deal before going with a cheaper, less effective design which still wont have delivered any kit to the Indian military in five years time.

P.S. I'm not Finnish I'm from Australia
We negosiate because we have other option as you see .we can bug some more su30 ,35.and we have spike if we never get good deal out of javlian

sabari

I there is any evidence to prove that we never got delivery of spike

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles