India races ahead of US to become 2nd largest smartphone market

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report-indian-smartphone-market-grew-23-despite-flat-sales-2207577

India's smartphone market grew 23% in Q1 2016, surpassing the US market in terms of users even as sales remained flat globally.

India smartphone market grew 23% in the first quarter of 2016, surpassing the US to become the second largest country in terms of users, even as sales remained flat globally, research firm Counterpoint said on Friday.

"India which surpassed the USA to become the second largest smartphone market in terms of users has continued to register strong demand for smartphone," Counterpoint Research, Research Director Peter Richardson said.

There is a massive opportunity for every player in the mobile value chain when the second largest market by volume is still under-penetrated and growing while the rest of the world smartphone demand has waned, he added.

"India is the next China...more than a billion smartphones will be sold in India over the next five years. This will drive the number of smartphone users from a quarter of a billion to more than half a billion in the same time period," he said.

Furthermore, the advent of advanced 4G LTE network infrastructure will also be a key catalyst in the country's smartphone adoption in coming years, it said.

Global smartphone shipments remained flat at 344 million units in January-March, impacted by weaker demand in China and Brazil as well as parts of Europe, as per Counterpoint.

It added that this is the first time since the launch of smartphones that the segment globally has seen no growth.

Samsung led the India smartphone tally with 29% share. Interestingly, Reliance Jio, which forayed into the market this quarter itself with brand 'Lyf', cornered 7% share.

"We estimate, this quarter strong shipment was more of channel filling, the actual sell-through will happen in Q2 2016 as the operator starts full-fledged marketing and promotional activity," the report said.

Lyf also became the second largest LTE phone supplier surpassing Micromax and Lenovo during January-March 2016.

Others in the list included Micromax (17%), Intex (10%) and Lenovo (8%) and Karbonn (5%). Apple recorded a stellar 62% growth in the first quarter from the year-ago period, though on a lower base, thus registering back-to-back sequential growth in spite of negative growth results globally for iPhones.

In terms of overall mobile phone sales (including feature phones), Samsung led the segment with 25% share, followed by Micromax (14%), Intex (11%), Lava (9%) and Karbonn (5%).

"The demand for LTE smartphones remained strong as two out of three smartphone shipped was LTE capable," Counterpoint Senior Analyst Tarun Pathak said.

Country flag
Nice development too bad India is not a cell phone manufacturing country but good for others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Nice development too bad India is not a cell phone manufacturing country but good for others

Micromax is picking up the slack fast. They need to invest more in advertisements and manufacture some good models. I believe they can take Samsung's place for lead market share.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Indians are brand concicious import loving market domestic brands will not be a threat imo

Are they? They are also the most frugal people on earth. Except wannabes most people happy with paying less money.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Are they? They are also the most frugal people on earth. Except wannabes most people happy with paying less money.
Can't help the teens though. They are all wannabes. The just want as much attention as they can get. But yeah, after college it's a different thing. Fortunately Indians always think of savings. That helps.

P.S. I hate iPhone heavy premiums in India.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
We need more Indian companies to get benefit from the market. Just being a consumer is not a good idea.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
What about that Namotel thingy? Is it any good. The price is nice for the financially weaker class.

Country flag
Many have an obsession with brands and showing them off and having the right brand for their status the market is big there is a
Generational divide but market is mega huge

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I expect big firms to shift to India and other local Indian firms to rise up in market.
Will need to coax people to make in India. But will need to provide them the inducements. Once 1-2 manufacturers come in, playing with import duty might force others to set shop too

The Last Stand

Country flag
Android - updates take care of everything, ports are universal. Any brand's charger/headphone works on any other phone. WiFi direct makes sure that you don't even need to connect USB.

IPhone - need to buy a new phone because the wallpaper changed. Oh, and they changed the charger and headphone ports, so you NEED to buy their premium bull**** versions.

Edit: Don't forget that you need to charge it once an hour!!!

trollololol

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles