India plans to develop solar-powered UAVs

hitesh

New Delhi, Aug 21 (PTI) India is planning to develop solar-powered unmanned flying machines with the capability of remaining airborne for at least a month in all weather conditions.
"We are looking forward to develop solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with a long range and endurance capability as we plan to diversify our expertise in UAV technology," DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta told PTI here.
The one-of-its-kind UAV will be designed and developed to endure long-range sorties ranging up to a month in all weather conditions, Gupta said.
The flying machine will have specially-designed solar panels to keep it airborne even in nights and cloudy weather conditions with the help of power generated and saved during the day.
Keeping in mind the payload that would be fitted on these UAVs and the nature of missions, special attention would be paid to keep their frame light but strong enough to endure different weather conditions.
The UAV would be capable of providing real-time information and data of the area through a secure data link, DRDO officials said.
The Rustom-1 UAV, developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), can remain airborne for 24 to 36 hours while Nishant has the capability to remain airborne for nearly five hours.
These UAVs can carry a variety of cameras to look deep into the enemy territory for surveillance and reconnaissance purposes.
Besides the armed forces, paramilitary personnel engaged in anti-Naxal operations are also looking forward to procure UAVs to snoop deep into forests inhabited by Left-wing extremists.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Can someone throw light on how UAVs are different than Drones? I hope I'm not taking it too much OT.
Thanks

Virendra

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
For such kind of power generation they'd have to have large surface area, wouldn't that compromise its 'stealth'?

agentperry

this is what i tried to say some time back and i was ridiculed by members. being solar powered means being electricity driven which in turn means no engine sound and heat. regarding the solar heat over the solar panels, it can be masked by IR coating which we even see over arjun tank and many other warships like satpura. it will fly at very high altitude so that its large size can be taken care of. it will be drone with no limits and will of course fly with very low speed.
im relying on drdo guys interview on tv for above info.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
it will fly at very high altitude so that its large size can be taken care of.
Won't this hinder its endurance? Its designed to be airborne for long periods after all!

agentperry

Won't this hinder its endurance? Its designed to be airborne for long periods after all!
no hydrocarbon means no tension of range... it will fly till its batteries are charged. the main reason for this slow speed, according to me, could be to conserve battery as at night there will be no sun and continued operation requires charge... moreover its upon elite scientists to decide how they will develop it. over and out

Global Defence

New threads

Articles