India S-400 Acquisition - News Updates and Discussions

THESIS THORON

Country flag
S500 is a really good system (If we go by the stats as Claimed by the Russians)But in my opinion I don't think so that the Procurement of S500 might happen because the Americans might threaten CAATSA,I believe we may be getting a Waiver this time for S-400 deal but I don't think so that this will be the case with S500 though. Anyways as I said again, it's better to invest all that money into our Indigenous Projects.
WE WILL HAVE AD1 AND AD2 BY 2024.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
WE WILL HAVE AD1 AND AD2 BY 2024.
You have said 'WE WILL HAVE AD1 AND AD2 BY 2024.' What is AD-1 and AD-2? Kindly explain here? I believe here AD refers to Air Defense but I want to know what you meant by AD1 and AD2.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
You have said 'WE WILL HAVE AD1 AND AD2 BY 2024.' What is AD-1 and AD-2? Kindly explain here? I believe here AD refers to Air Defense but I want to know what you meant by AD1 and AD2.
s500 is for ballastic and hypersonic missiles, ad1 and ad2 are missiles which are being developed under BMD PHASE-2

ad1 will intercept mrbm(1000-2000km) endo-atmospheric
ad2 will intercept irbm(5000-6000 km) exo-atmospheric

simmilar to THAAD

AD1 WILL BE COMPARABLE TO USA-SM3 (several ytber have claimed that ad1 is comparable to blk3 sm3)
AD2 WILL BE BETTER THAN FRENCH ASTER 30

both can be deployed on ship and land

the project 18 destroyers will house these missiles in order to increase the area defense umbrella

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
s500 is for ballastic and hypersonic missiles, ad1 and ad2 are missiles which are being developed under BMD PHASE-2

simmilar to THAAD

AD1 WILL BE COMPARABLE TO USA-SM3 (several ytber have claimed that ad1 is comparable to blk3 sm3)

the project 18 destroyers will house these missiles in order to increase the area defense umbrella
Which missiles will XR-SAM have

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ad1 and ad2 are bmd phase 2 program missiles
Yes I got it now. Earlier I was Confused to what it was exactly, both AD1 and AD2 are infact Actually Anti Ballistic missiles.
s500 is for ballastic and hypersonic missiles
My above question had nothing to do with regards to S500 ,my question was What is AD-1 and AD-2, that's all. And yes I am aware that S500 is for countering Ballistic and Hypersonic Missiles.
ad1 and ad2 are missiles which are being developed under BMD PHASE-2

simmilar to THAAD

Yes I know this, I had just checked it on the Net, both are Anti Ballistic missiles which are being developed under BMD(Ballistic Missile Defence)Phase 2.

THESIS THORON

Country flag

Super Flanker

Country flag
bruh, you are contradicting yourself :scared1:🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
I am not in any way contradicting myself, ok?

I was Confused earlier on what was this AD1 and AD2, I was thinking that these two are some new air defence systems but after I checked on Google, it turns out both are Anti Ballistic missiles.

But before this you had Told me that they were Anti Ballistic missiles and than later I also googled and checked it and confirmed it.

I am in no way Contradicting myself. You probably misunderstood me. Khair leave it.

WolfPack86

Country flag
India receives military supplies from Moscow amid Russia-Ukraine war
Amid the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine, India has received a consignment of S-400 missile system from Russia, top sources told India Today.

"We are continuing to receive our consignments without any delays or issues, and the latest consignment of overhauled engines was received a few days ago despite the war there," top government sources told India Today.

According to sources, the consignment of S-400 missile system was delivered by ship and is now operational. Parts of the missile system arrived via both air and sea routes and were quickly deployed in the designated locations.

RUSSIA-UKRAINE WAR AND ITS EFFECT
The war between Russia and Ukraine has been going on for more than 45 days, and it was feared that the conflict would make it difficult for the Indian forces to obtain supplies of Russian-made equipment.

Sources said that the armed forces are stockpiling spares and equipment needed to keep the fleet operational, and there is currently no problem. However, the forces may face a problem in the near future because the Russians cannot be paid for their supplies due to banking system restrictions and West-imposed sanctions.

Meanwhile, the Indian government is actively seeking solutions to the problem, and efforts are made on a regular basis in this direction.

WolfPack86

Country flag
RUSSIA BEGINS DELIVERY OF SECOND UNIT OF STRATEGIC S-400 MISSILE SYSTEM TO INDIA
The first unit of the missile system was fully delivered by December 2021 and operationalised

NEW DELHI: Russia has begun delivering the second unit of the S-400 missile system to India. This comes amid the war between Russia and Ukraine and the sanctions imposed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) countries.

A source confirmed, “Yes, the delivery of the second S-400 missile system is under process,” adding that it involves multiple components which are being delivered by both air and sea.

The first unit of the missile system was fully delivered by December 2021 and operationalised, added another source.

Defence analyst Major General SB Asthana (Retd) termed it a done deal. “This has to go through irrespective of what the US says. It is the buyer’s market and sovereign right of India to choose the best equipment which suits our military and national interest.”

The US has continued to put pressure on India for not condemning Russia over the Ukraine war.

However, during the recent 2+2 meeting between the US and Indian Defence and Foreign Ministers in Washington, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, "We have not made determination of potential sanctions or waivers under CAATSA." Acknowledging the old ties between India and Russia, Blinken said India and Russia have a "long history and long relationship" in defence equipment trade.

Replying to a query, Indian Foreign Minister Dr S Jaishankar said, “It is their legislation and whatever has to be done has to be done by them.”

The Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) domestic law of the US allows it to impose sanctions against countries which continue transactions with Iran, North Korea and Russia.

The contract for delivery of the S-400 long-range air defence missile system from Russia was signed in October 2018 at a cost of around Rs 35,000 crore for five missile systems.

As reported earlier, the missile system can track a large number of targets at 600 km and can deploy four different kinds of missiles engaging the targets at varying distances. The system is capable of destroying aircraft, missiles (cruise and ballistic), UAVs and other air assault vehicles up to 400 kilometres from a range of 100 ft to 40,000 ft.

WolfPack86

Country flag
IAF IS NOW READYING TO GET THE THIRD S-400 AIR DEFENCE SYSTEM FROM RUSSIA
The IAF is now readying to get the third S-400 system, which will be placed in the East, the first one having been located in the North. While the S-400 has a range of about 400 km, the S-500, also more versatile, has a longer range-- of about 600-650 km

New Delhi: Despite the two-month long war with Ukraine and the problems it has encountered, Russia has, so far, ensured that deliveries of the S-400 air-defence system, despite reports of delays, are on time. The S-400 has anti-aircraft and anti-missile capabilities and India has ordered five systems for the air force reports TimesNow.

After the first system arrived, Russia, as per planned, has sent a training module for Indian Air Force personnel so that they can understand the functioning of the system better. The training module arrived in March and the second system, and three more will follow, is expected to arrive next month. The IAF, sources said, has already begun work with the training module, which arrived roughly speaking, on time.

The IAF is now readying to get the third S-400 system, which will be placed in the East, the first one having been located in the North. There is still thinking within the government about additional units of the S-400 or, if it were possible, the S-500. While the S-400 has a range of about 400 km, the S-500, also more versatile, has a longer range-- of about 600-650 km. How this works out in the era of Atmanirbharta or self-reliance remains to be seen, but if additional S-400s are bought, it can be seen as a repeat order.

There is also the international situation, with the war in the Ukraine going on for over two months. Whether India would buy additional systems remains to be seen. During the 2+2 talks with the United States in Washington DC recently, the US secretary of state, Anthony Blinken and his colleague, defence secretary Lloyd Austin, did not bring up the S-400 in the talks, but fresh sales are another matter altogether and India will have to take a call on it.

WolfPack86

Country flag
India To Deploy S-400 Missile System Against Pakistan And China By June: US
In a key development, the United State Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) stated that India will deploy the S-400 missile defence system that it has received from Russia to defend itself against threats from its immediate neighbours: Pakistan and China by next month.

India started receiving the delivery of the S-400 missile defence system from Russia in December last year, Lieutenant General Scott Berrier, Director of Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) told Senate Armed Services Committee during a recent Congressional hearing, according to PTI. Berrier further added that as of October 2021, India's military was seeking to procure advanced surveillance systems to bolster its land and sea borders and boost its offensive and defensive cyber capabilities.

"In December, India received its initial delivery of the Russian S-400 air defence system, and it intends to operate the system to defend against Pakistani and Chinese threats by June 2022," Berrier told US lawmakers according to PTI.
India remains postured to respond to perceived militant threats: DIA
Speaking about India and Pakistan's relationship, the pentagon official stated that despite recommitting to the 2003 cease-fire, India remains postured to respond to perceived militant threats, and it has continued counterterrorism operations inside Indian-administered Kashmir. According to PTI. He further added that occasional skirmishes between Indian and Pakistani troops will continue, and a high-profile attack in India by Pakistan-based terrorists risks an Indian military response.

On the Indo-Chinese relationship, the director of DIA said that their relations remain strained following the fatal clashes in the summer of 2020 between their respective forces along with the Western sector of the Line of Actual Control (LAC). He further added that in 2021, both sides held multiple rounds of high-level diplomatic and military talks that resulted in a mutual pullback of forces from several standoff points. However, both sides maintain close to 50,000 troops along with artillery, tanks, and multiple rocket launchers, and both are building infrastructure along the LAC, he said according to PTI.

It is pertinent to mention here that India fast-tracked the deployment of the S-400 Triumf missile system with the assembling of the first two consignments of S-400 already commenced earlier. Notably, India, during the India-Russia summit in 2018 in New Delhi, informed that it inked a $5.43 billion deal for the purchase of five S-400 systems for its “long term security needs.”

What is S-400 missile system?
The S-400 Triumf is a mobile surface-to-air missile system developed by Russia's ACDB ME (Almaz Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering). It is among the most advanced air defence system currently available in the market. The missile system was designed with the aim to exterminate tactical and strategic aircraft, cruise and ballistic missiles, and hypersonic weapons.

India’s Junior Defence minister Ajay Bhatt had said the S-400 Missile is "a potent system in terms of its operational capability to provide continuous and effective air defence system to a very large area. With the induction of this system, the air defence capability of the nation will be significantly enhanced." Meanwhile, the Indian military personnel are also being trained to operate the S-400 missile system. Earlier, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, a top official of Almaz-Antey, said that a "sufficient" number of the Indian armed forces underwent training to operate the equipment.

WolfPack86

Country flag
S-400 defence missile system delivery proceeding well: Russian envoy
New Delhi [India], June 13 (ANI): Marking the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Russian-Indian diplomatic relations, Russian Ambassador to India Denis Alipov said that S-400 Triumf air defence missile system is proceeding well and in accordance with the schedule.

“The best-of-a-kind S-400 systems delivery is proceeding well according to the schedule”, Alipov said. Notably, India had inked the USD 5.43 billion deal with Russia for five squadrons of S-400s in October 2018.

He made these remarks in a foreword in the special edition of the Russia Digest magazine.

Alipov said that the multidimensional cooperation between India-Russia is one of the world’s most elaborate ones and the countries succeeded in “building true friendship and mutual trust” exemplified by numerous proud milestones.

The remarks further coincide with the occasion of Russia’s National Day, June 12, stated the Embassy of Russia in India on its website.

The remarks further coincide with the occasion of Russia’s National Day, June 12, stated the Embassy of Russia in India on its website.

The year 2022 marks both 75 years of India’s Independence and the 75th Anniversary of the Russian-Indian diplomatic relations, which were established in April 1947.

Speaking on the milestones achieved in the relationship between the two countries, Alipov wrote about the industrialization and power plants construction in India with the Soviet assistance in the 1950-1960s, setting up of the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay in 1958, the groundbreaking Treaty of Peace, Friendship and Cooperation of 1971, the flight of the first Indian cosmonaut on the “Soyuz T-11” spacecraft in 1984, the Declaration of Strategic Partnership of 2000 and many more.

“Today’s Russia-India multidimensional cooperation is one of the world’s most elaborate ones with regular meetings of the two intergovernmental commissions, sector-wise ministerial, security advisors’ and senior officials dialogue, foreign office consultations and coordination in the global arena, complemented by diverse business, cultural and people-to-people contacts,” he wrote.

The Ambassador highlighted that Russia and India were among the first in the world to establish the practice of annual bilateral summits. The XXI Summit in December 2021 in New Delhi was held in person, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, and the introduction of the “2+2” ministerial format became yet another landmark, he added.

“Our positions on core issues remain similar or coinciding, stressing the need to uphold the central role of the United Nations towards just and equal multipolarity and opposing unilateral and confrontational approaches. We continue close coordination on the agenda of BRICS as well as the G20 and the SCO, which India will chair in 2022-2023,” he continued.

Russia and India continue to successfully implement flagship initiatives, which make our cooperation unparalleled, Alipov stressed in his foreword for the Magazine.

The Ambassador wrote at length about these initiatives. Among them are the Kudankulam nuclear power plant construction and advanced defence ties within the “Make in India” and “Atmanirbhar Bharat” programmes such as AK-203 rifles manufacturing, combat aviation and main battle tanks production as well as frigates, submarines, Brahmos and other missiles projects. The best-of-a-kind S-400 systems delivery is proceeding well according to the schedule, Alipov wrote.

In the forward, the Russian Ambassador also covered the bilateral trade and cooperation between the two countries.

“With the increased volumes of bilateral trade by more than 45 per cent in 2021, this positive trend is supplemented in 2022 by intensified cooperation in energy and fertilizers,” he wrote.

Furthermore, he stated that priority is given to the Far Eastern and the Arctic dimensions, implementation of the North-South transport corridor project and an early conclusion of the FTA between the Eurasian Economic Union and India.

“Along with ongoing projects in connectivity, diamond processing, forestry, healthcare and pharma sector, tourism, railways, metallurgy, civil aviation, shipbuilding, oil refinery and petrochemicals, there are plenty of new opportunities for the Indian business in the Russian market, especially against the backdrop of withdrawal of many Western companies,” he added.

Alipov said that Russia “deeply cherishes equal and respectful relations” with India.

Continuing, the Ambassador noted that the cooperation between India and Russia plays the role of a defining factor for global peace, stability and sustainable development.

“We are confident in the future of our bilateral ties and are ready to move forward in utilizing their potential and exploring new horizons for the benefit of the people of our two friendly nations,” he said expressing the confidence in the bilateral relations between India-Russia.

Concluding his foreword, the Ambassador said that Russia will further strive to strengthen international peace and ensure global security and stability with a view to establishing a fair and democratic international system that addresses global issues on the basis of collective decision-making, the rule of international law, indivisible security and the generally accepted principles of equal rights, mutual respect and non-interference in domestic affairs. (ANI)

blackjack

Country flag
Новый вариант комплекса ПВО "Панцирь-СМ" получил 24 зенитные ракеты - РИА Новости, 29.06.2022 (ria.ru)

A new version of the Pantsir-SM air defense complex received an increased ammunition set of up to 24 missiles

Read on the Ria.ru website
BUNYREVO (Tula region), June 29 — RIA Novosti. Tula Instrument Design Bureau named after A. G. Shipunov showed at the forum "Engineers of the Future" a detailed model of the new version of the Pantsir-SM air defense complex with ammunition increased to 24 missiles.
The machine received the prefix "TBM" (transport and combat vehicle).
A soldier of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation at the Pantsir-S1 anti-aircraft missile and gun complex - RIA Novosti, 1920, 25.03.2022

March 25, 15:08
In "Rostec" explained the effectiveness of "Pantsir"
It is noted that it was possible to increase the ammunition from 12 to 24 missiles due to the removal of two automatic guns of 30 mm caliber. In addition, it was necessary to abandon the air target detection station: in the Patsir-SM combat formations, the TBM will receive target designation from other vehicles in the battery or from the command posts of the layered air defense.

Earlier it also became known about the development of small-sized anti-aircraft guided missiles to combat small drones and copters. So, in one standard transport and launch container "Pantsir" four small-sized missiles are placed. In the maximum version of loading, the new Pantsir-SM will be able to carry out a salvo of 96 missiles, repelling the raids of several "swarms of drones".
The first launch of the Kh-35 Uranus cruise missile from the Smerch small missile ship - RIA Novosti, 1920, 12.06.2022

June 12, 11:01
Russia will increase the production of ships with high-precision weapons
In addition, a loading device was installed on the new TBM, allowing the crew to independently reload their combat vehicle or other vehicles in the battery.
A distinctive feature of the Pantsir-SM is a new multifunctional sighting station with a phased array antenna. Thanks to this, the system sees targets at a range of up to 75 kilometers. Thus, the aiming range of the complex increases to 40 kilometers - twice as much as compared to the Pantsir-S1.

WolfPack86

Country flag
US LAWMAKERS APPROVE CAATSA WAIVER FOR INDIA
The US House of Representatives on Thursday approved legislation that recommend an India-specific waiver under the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), thus deepening defence ties between both the democracies and help deter aggressors like China.

The US House of Representatives on Thursday approved legislation that recommend an India-specific waiver under the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), thus deepening defence ties between both the democracies and help deter aggressors like China.

The House approved the measure, offered by Democratic Representative Congressman Ro Khanna, an Indian-American Congressman and a member of the House Armed Services Act, as an amendment to the annual National Defence Authorization Act (NDAA) by 330 to 99 However, this amendment is several steps from becoming law. After the House passage of the NDAA - the Senate must approve its version. Then lawmakers must reach a compromise version of the legislation, which authorizes more than $800 billion in defence spending, before voting again later this year.

This monumental amendment marks the most significant piece of legislation for US and India relations out of Congress since the US and India nuclear deal, according to a statement released by Khanna. "The United States must stand with India in the face of escalating aggression from China. As Vice Chair of the India Caucus, I have been working to strengthen the partnership between our countries and ensure that India can defend itself along the Indian Chinese border," said Rep. Khanna.

"This amendment is of the utmost importance, and I am proud to see it pass the House on a bipartisan basis." He said that the India-US partnership, rooted in shared democratic values, is critical in order to advance United States interests in the Indo-Pacific region; and this partnership between the world's oldest and largest democracies is critical and must continue to be strengthened in response to increasing threats in the Indo-Pacific regions, sending an unequivocal signal that sovereignty and international law must be respected.

"The amendment is a good signal to the Biden administration on what the house thinks of CAATSA and India", an analyst told ANI This amendment is the latest effort by members of Congress to underscore a strong defence partnership between India and the United States, highlighting China's threat to India's security.

Furthermore, in Khanna's amendment, there is a section titled "Border Threats from China and reliance on Russian weapons", which proposes that the Congress recognise that India faces "immediate and serious regional border threats from China, with incessant military aggression by the Government of China along the India-China border". It emphasized that the United States should take additional steps to encourage India to accelerate its transition off Russian-built weapons and defence systems while strongly supporting India's immediate defence needs.

While addressing the House of Representatives, Khanna lauded the US-India Initiative on Critical and Emerging Technologies (ICET) which was announced during the Tokyo summit between President Joe Biden and President Narendra Modi as an essential step" to formulate closer ties between the two nations in artificial intelligence, quantum computing, biotechnology, aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing. While India faces an immediate need to maintain its heavily Russian-built weapons systems, a waiver to sanctions under the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act during this transition period is in the best interests of the United States and the United States-India defence partnership to deter aggressors in light of Russia and China's close partnership.

Under the CAATSA, the US imposes sanctions on those countries that have "significant transactions with Iran, North Korea or Russia". India had inked the USD 5.43 billion deal with Russia for five squadrons of S-400s in October 2018. Although as per a top official under President Joe Biden's administration earlier, the United States has not made a final decision on sanctions on India for its acquisition of the S-400 missile system from Russia under the CAATSA.

The American politician with Indian heritage pointed out that a strong United States-India defence partnership is rooted in shared democratic values and is critical in order to advance United States interests in the Indo-Pacific region.

WolfPack86

Country flag
RUSSIA WILL DELIVER ALL THE FIVE REGIMENTS OF S-400 WEAPONS TO INDIA BY LATE 2023
Moscow:
Russia delivers S-400 air defence systems to India under the schedule approved by the two countries, Head of Russia’s Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Dmitry Shugayev told TASS at the Army 2022 international military-technical forum on Tuesday.

"The deliveries proceed under the schedule approved by the parties in compliance with the contractual commitments," Shugayev said, replying to a question about the pace of fulfilling the contract on the deliveries of S-400 air defence weapons to India.

CEO of Russia’s state arms seller Rosoboronexport Alexander Mikheyev earlier told reporters that the contract for the deliveries of S-400 air defence systems to India was being successfully implemented. He said that Russia would deliver all the five regiments of S-400 weapons to India by late 2023.

New Delhi announced its intention to purchase Russian-made S-400 air defence systems in 2015. A $5.43 bln contract on the delivery of five regiment sets of S-400 ‘Triumf’ anti-aircraft missile systems was signed during Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to India in October 2018.

The deal infuriated Washington, which is threatening to impose sanctions on the states acquiring weapons and military hardware from Russia under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) adopted in 2017.

Russia’s S-400 ‘Triumf’ (NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler) is the latest long-and medium-range surface-to-air missile system that went into service in 2007. It is designed to destroy strategic and tactical aircraft, cruise and ballistic missiles and hypersonic weapons and can also be used against ground installations. The S-400 can engage targets at a distance of up to 400 km and at an altitude of up to 30 km under intensive enemy fire and jamming.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles