India S-400 Acquisition - News Updates and Discussions

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
I'm not expert but it is good system we can use it on the move to protect IBG's.
New tor can carry 16 missiles in one wheeled carrier.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Yes I saw RT's documentary.
Mobility is good , fire power good , nice radar. An official said it can track train hugging CM like tomhawk and Air to ground missiles fired by Fighters and even drones. He said it is bit ineffective against drop bombs or say gravity bombs. Its all wheather instrument.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Make a choice, is US law unnecessarily applied internationally important or India’s security is important.

That means US PARTICIPATION IN MMRCA2 is out of question and same is true about NASAM local air defence system purchase goes out of the window.

Since it is Democrats sponsored Law, supported by a few Republicans in the US Congress, its effect will be felt long after Trump presidency.

sorcerer

Country flag
US Version : (As always..trying to put in light "non- substantiated statements" with an undertone of national security and US interests :D )
Fools!!

"US aircraft like the F-35 Lightning 2 does not feature all aspects of stealth. The aircraft is optimized for front aspect stealth to make it invisible to adversary fighter X-band radars approaching head-on. From the side and rear aspects, the aircraft is not perfectly stealthy. Ground-based radars, such as the S-band 91NE6 acquisition and battle management radar of the S-400 system, can detect and track the F-35 because they would be rarely located head on to the F-35. The 91NE6 radar could record the various radar signatures of the F-35 and store them in an electronic library. The stored signatures could be used by other S-400 systems or other ground-based radars not only to identify a radar track as belonging to an F-35 but to also possibly determine the configuration of the F-35. For example, whether it is with or without external stores," defense analyst Vijainder Thakur told Sputnik.

Indian Reasoning:

"This fear is false and unfounded. India does not have a track record of supplying or passing defense technology of one country to the other. Nobody including the US can ever accuse India of this. The US has been selling defense equipment to India over the last one-and-a-half decades. But none of this defense technology has reached any other foreign country. In fact, a mix of defense equipment from Russia, USA, France, and Israel have worked well for the Indian military," an official in India's Defense Ministry told Sputnik on condition of anonymity.

A radar signature electronic library is a very closely guarded secret. There is no question of the Indian Air Force sharing its radar signature library with the Russian Air Force. If the US is skeptical about India's ability to guard its secrets, it would choose not to share its F-35 assets with the Indian Air Force or Indian Navy, he added.

https://sputniknews.com/analysis/201809201068199249-us-wary-s400/

Well!!, If the USA is worried about technology getting across the border to Russia, then USA should never bid for any defence projects with India.
Also,

IMO, F-35 was doing sorties in Syria and had claimed to do some damage to Russian Air Defense, is it not possible then that the Russians had gotten a chance on the F-35 Radar Signatures! Already from Syria?

"We are flying the F-35 all over the Middle East and have already attacked twice on two different fronts," Norkin told a meeting of air force chiefs in Israel, as Reuters notes.

Shlomo Brom, a retired brigadier general in the Israeli Air Force, told Business Insider that one of those fronts was over Syria after Iranian forces fired rockets towards Israel and Israel's air force launched a blistering retaliation that killed dozens of Iranians and hit more than 50 individual targets.

That specific air battle saw Israeli jets pound Russian-made Syrian air defenses that had been made to counter older jets like Israel's F-15 and F-16s. In February, during a similar battle, Israel lost an F-16 to Syrian air defenses.

https://sputniknews.com/analysis/201809201068199249-us-wary-s400/

Trump-USA may be trying to drive a hard bargain, but India should not succumb, but execute the fix for most important national security gaps. We all know what these pigs did when India tried to formulate a nuclear deterrent. Its the same USA, just a different captain.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Russia Is Said to Plan Air-Defense Deal With India Next Week

Russia is expected to sign a deal to supply advanced S-400 surface-to-air missile systems to India next week during President Vladimir Putin’s visit to New Delhi, a Russian official said.

The threat of U.S. sanctions against buyers of Russian weapons — imposed most recently on China — won’t affect the deal, the official said,speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss plans that aren’t yet public. The contract covers 10 batteries, worth a total of $6.2 billion, Russia’s RBC newspaper reported earlier this year.

A separate deal to supply four frigates to India, may also be signed during Putin’s visit on Oct. 4-5, the official said.

“India is not risking anything with this deal,” says Igor Korotchenko, head of the Moscow-based Centre for Analysis of World Arms Trade. “The U.S. won’t impose sanctions on them because they don’t want the Indians to refuse to purchase American weapons in the future.”

Lieutenant Colonel David Eastburn, a U.S. Defense Department spokesman, said a waiver from the sanctions law “is ultimately a presidential authority and any decision to provide a waiver to India will be determined by the president.” He added that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis “continues to place great value on our growing strategic partnership with India.”

The S-400 missile system has been in service since 2007 and is a popular Russian export weapon. It can shoot down aircraft and missiles at a range of 400 kilometers (about 250 miles). Turkey also is planning to buy the S-400 despite U.S. opposition to the purchase by a fellow NATO member..
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Hari Sud

Country flag
Just a stray thoughts......

Can S-400 shoot the Pakistani nuclear missile coming to India and drop the nuclear device over a Pakistani city. That should kill about 50,000 in Lahore or Karachi etc.

That capability if is there in the S-400 then, it should give goosebumps to the Pakistani Army.

If the S-400 misses the Pakistani nuclear missile then the similar number will die in India.

My point that it is their bomb, their missile and their land & population.

Some smarter people should explore the possibility of this happening.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Just a stray thoughts......

Can S-400 shoot the Pakistani nuclear missile coming to India and drop the nuclear device over a Pakistani city. That should kill about 50,000 in Lahore or Karachi etc.

That capability if is there in the S-400 then, it should give goosebumps to the Pakistani Army.

If the S-400 misses the Pakistani nuclear missile then the similar number will die in India.

My point that it is their bomb, their missile and their land & population.

Some smarter people should explore the possibility of this happening.
Documentary of Russian Tor , Developer said " There is no such air defence which can intercept Gravity bomb / Un-guided bomb. You can intercept CM , Drones , Enemy jet but can't intercept gravity bombs as effective as you did with other stuff.

abingdonboy

Country flag
No interest in this guys?

CCS approval given.

Deal could be signed on Friday when Putin visits India.

Leaving aside the missiles (which I think are not needed by India) this is a hugely significant strategic signal to the US.

Didn’t think Modi had the balls!

Kay

Country flag
No interest in this guys?

CCS approval given.

Deal could be signed on Friday when Putin visits India.

Leaving aside the missiles (which I think are not needed by India) this is a hugely significant strategic signal to the US.

Didn’t think Modi had the balls!
This was a bold decision indeed..but we do need the missiles.. because that is also a significant strategic signal to China.

abingdonboy

Country flag
This was a bold decision indeed..but we do need the missiles.. because that is also a significant strategic signal to China.
For $5bn a LOT of indigenous efforts could’ve been funded but I do think this is the last level scale missile purchase india ever makes.

5 regiments/units is just enough to cover major cities and borders. For the rest of the country and full scale BMD DRDO BMD and XRSAM will be deployed once ready. Another interim purchase thankfully. I would’ve been worried if India had procured more than 5, I think a pattern is emerging here.

And yes, very bold. India has reasserted its autonomy and implications will be vast.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Yep too much cost with no offset not even pinch of technology transfer.
I hate this Russian deals.
This guys are blood suckers.
I will pray for god that some one will raise s400 as scam and frigates too.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

I think it’s fine, in return you are getting this....

sorcerer

Country flag
In some cases technology transfer for key systems are really hard to come by.
For S-400 Russians and only Russians have the upper hand on negotiations, as we all know how badly India needs such a system in place and pronto.

India is exporting lots of vessels, I personally wont be happy if Srilanka or Vietnam or any nation who buys vessel from India ask for critical technology transfer to complete the export deal which will get us a PIE of the international defense market.

S-400 , most of the world knows that there is no Equivalent system so far. So I think thats the reason Russia made it clear to the Indian partner that dont "fiddle" with the OFFSET clause on this.

BUT, may be in another cycle in a few years, not too far we will have the ecosystem in India to build such and Russian systems such as this will come with the tech transfer and offset clause.
May be the next batch of S-400 systems could come with an offset clause. Who knows!! :daru:

India is already developing a system indigenous. So, lets hope it stays on course and is better than the systems we purchase by that time.

Chinmoy

Country flag

If you are talking of it as a standalone system, its costly. But when you consider it in grid aspect of the protection cover, we are getting it in dirt cheap rate.

Trololo

Country flag
For $5bn a LOT of indigenous efforts could’ve been funded but I do think this is the last level scale missile purchase india ever makes.

5 regiments/units is just enough to cover major cities and borders. For the rest of the country and full scale BMD DRDO BMD and XRSAM will be deployed once ready. Another interim purchase thankfully. I would’ve been worried if India had procured more than 5, I think a pattern is emerging here.

And yes, very bold. India has reasserted its autonomy and implications will be vast.
For the XRSAM I wouldn't mind paying the Russians good money to get design help and ToT as much as needed. Anything having the range of an S300 and targeting and killing abilities of the S400 should be good enough to begin with given out neighborhood.

abingdonboy

Country flag
For the XRSAM I wouldn't mind paying the Russians good money to get design help and ToT as much as needed. Anything having the range of an S300 and targeting and killing abilities of the S400 should be good enough to begin with given out neighborhood.
No one will give you tot- least of all the Russians. Have faith inn drdo, they are building up their own abilities. Even if it takes a bit longer it will be worth it in the long term

mayfair

The thing is S-400 should not be viewed as coming at the cost of indigenous efforts. It's an acquisition to fulfill immediate needs, while our indigenous systems mature.

Offsets were not included this time, because not only the cost would have gone up, but the deliveries would have been pushed back as well and that defeats the entire purpose of inducting these systems as quickly as possible.

Jameson Emoni

The thing is S-400 should not be viewed as coming at the cost of indigenous efforts. It's an acquisition to fulfill immediate needs, while our indigenous systems mature.

Offsets were not included this time, because not only the cost would have gone up, but the deliveries would have been pushed back as well and that defeats the entire purpose of inducting these systems as quickly as possible.
Absolutely!

You cannot put a price tag on security. India must do whatever is needed to safeguard the country.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Deliveries of Russian S-400 Systems to Start in 2020 - Indian Defence Ministry

NEW DELHI (Sputnik) - India will start receiving Russian- made S-400 air defense systems in 2020 with deliveries expected to last through 2023, Indian Union Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre said on Wednesday. "The deliveries will commence from October, 2020 and will be completed by April, 2023," Bhamre said in the lower house of the Indian Parliament while replying to a question on the S-400 deliveries. The minister also noted that India will purchase the Russian systems despite the threat of US sanctions. "Government is aware of all developments that may impact procurement of defence equipment and it takes sovereign decision based on threat perception, operation and technological aspects to keep the Armed Forces in a state of readiness to meet the entire spectrum of security challenges," Bhamre underlined, when answering a question on the impact of the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) on the deal. The minister's comments come after, in early October, Moscow and New Delhi concluded a contract on the deliveries of Russia's S-400 missile systems to India worth over $5 billion. The deal was signed during Russian President Vladimir Putin's two- day visit to India. According to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov, the contract has been signed in the Russian national currency. The S-400 is a next-generation mobile missile system which can carry three different types of missiles capable of destroying a variety of aerial targets at a short-to-extremely-long range, from reconnaissance aircraft to ballistic missiles.

https://sputniknews.com/military/201901021071171065-s-400-india-russia

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles