India S-400 Acquisition - News Updates and Discussions

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
An awesome system, NATO's nightmare and its critical for us but hope it does not slow down our indigenous development.

Because the 400 km (40N6 missile) lets us have the option of Destroying Pakistani airplanes as soon as they take off from almost all Pakistani Airbases!
Isn't this meant more for the Chinese compared to Pak, particularly since it can lock and shoot down stealth jets. Pak is no where close to such jets.

Also, how does THAAD compare to S400? It must be more expensive but is it worth it? You think US will be willing to sell it?

PS: Do we have S300? I know we have never confirmed it.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Isn't this meant more for the Chinese compared to Pak, particularly since it can lock and shoot down stealth jets. Pak is no where close to such jets.

Also, how does THAAD compare to S400? It must be more expensive but is it worth it? You think US will be willing to sell it?

Actually both frontiers, it's going to help us get strategic depth into the Tibetan airspace as well.
No news on the Americans offering us THAAD yet.
I believe we have at least six batteries of S300 protecting six key cities and sites.However this cannot be confirmed.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
^^^That said the THAAD is primarily a ABM system designed for intercepting missiles only , while the S400 is a full spectrum SAM which is capable of killing hostile aircraft just as easily as missiles.

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
Because the 400 km (40N6 missile) lets us have the option of Destroying Pakistani airplanes as soon as they take off from almost all Pakistani Airbases!
I think that's for ballistic missiles.
For fighter jets/cruise missiles it's another two missiles with 120 ane 40 km range.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I think that's for ballistic missiles.
For fighter jets/cruise missiles it's another two missiles with 120 ane 40 km range.
The 40N6 Interceptor missile is capable of killing aircraft as easily as missiles at 400km range. It has an active homing warhead capable of tracking, locking into and intercepting aircraft and missiles.

The 40N6 missile is capable of exo-atmospheric interception of IRBM (intermediate-range ballistic missile) warheads in their terminal phase, leave alone any aircraft target within the missile range perimeter.
http://missilethreat.com/defense-systems/s-400-sa-21-growler/

Bheeshma

The 400 km BS is brochuritis. It is its max range and S-400 has very little to no ABM capability. It a very long range SAM and useless against pakistan since paki airspace is 300 km wide. Against china who is also buying the S-400, how effective will this be????
I would take Barak-LR and what ever ABM (AAD, PDV, AD-1/AD-2) over this any day.

Blackwater

As they said it's a G-G deal, then what the need of DAC clearance, they can move on contract negotiations and cabinet approval and deal inking ..which can be easily done before the PM's visits to Russia.

If they move via DAC and other things , then we have to wait for 2025 to operate first S 400

i will still protest. i have full faith in Indian democratic system and red tapism. pakis will get it first then us:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

blue marlin

Will the Indian S-400 be mounted on Indian TEL? Or will India also buy Russian KZKT and UralAZ TEL?

I hope they integrate the S-400 on an Indian made TEL. That way, at least some of the components will be Indian, thus saving forex.
when considering a sam system im sure the army is more concerned about the capability of the missile rather than where the tel carrying the missile was made. also a sam system's also doesn't not only compromise of a tel(missiles) only. it compromises of a C&C station and radar installations. this would be build-on into the truck rather than installing it in a modular form. so installing the missile or anything else onto an indigenous truck is a bad idea. why re-invent the wheel, when it's already invented.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
An awesome system, NATO's nightmare and its critical for us but hope it does not slow down our indigenous development.
I feel, the IAF want it hurry since the delay in indigenous program, this is what @Sjha told

No idea, since Barak version uses MF STAR or EL 2084

I sure There is no possibility of delivering the 400km long range missile, since it comes under MCTR, so I think the missiles ranges comes at 250 km and 120 km.

Still no Radar's available to intercept a pure Stealth fighter, so the S 400 Radars too . I'm not going to believe the S 400 can shoot down the Stealth Jets

THAAD is a better system, uses much speedy hyper sonic missiles, to intercept ballistic missiles, and It's a pure Ballistic missile interceptor.

If India send a proposal, US will not hesitate

No we don't have S 300 systems

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The 400 km BS is brochuritis. It is its max range and S-400 has very little to no ABM capability. It a very long range SAM and useless against pakistan since paki airspace is 300 km wide. Against china who is also buying the S-400, how effective will this be????
I would take Barak-LR and what ever ABM (AAD, PDV, AD-1/AD-2) over this any day.
Just as I posted earlier as well the S400 will not be used as the primary component in an ABM role ,that job is still going to be undertaken by the indigenous BMD in development.
The S400 is meant to fill the gaps and act as a supplementary system to the indigenous BMD. It however will still be the top end and act as the tip of our AA defense spear! What is in the works is a complete overhaul of our air defence network and the ACCS and S400 are simply the highest end components of that umbrella. Have a look below to see the total envelope upgradation in the works now.

1)new AA guns / Tungushka/ manpads- 0 to 10km interception
2) SPYDER- 15km interception, this is to be replaced by the MAITRI SAM once development is complete.
3)AKASH- 25 km interception
4)MRSAM/BARAK 8- 90KM
5) BARAK ER-150KM
6) S400- 120 to 400km

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I sure There is no possibility of delivering the 400km long range missile, since it comes under MCTR, so I think the missiles ranges comes at 250 km and 120 km.

Still no Radar's available to intercept a pure Stealth fighter, so the S 400 Radars too . I'm not going to believe the S 400 can shoot down the Stealth Jets
The MTCR is not violated unless the warhead/payload weight is greater than 500kg
Also the MTCR does not prohibit the sale of 300km + range Surface to air interceptor missiles. It's meant for Surface to surface missiles.

THAAD is a better system, uses much speedy hyper sonic missiles, to intercept ballistic missiles, and It's a pure Ballistic missile interceptor.

If India send a proposal, US will not hesitate
Exactly, the THAAD is a pure ABM , we are not looking for a pure ABM.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
2) SPYDER- 15km interception, this is to be replaced by the MAITRI SAM once development is complete.
I don't think so, Maitri takes another ten years for deployment in ground or may never happen, Since it moved to Ship's primary QR SAM,

even the Spyder's are new, and just started deployment, so it will be on service up to 2035 or more

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
The 400 km BS is brochuritis. It is its max range and S-400 has very little to no ABM capability.
haven't heard about the ABM capability, the S 400 missile tests are not available in open media, The Russian moved to another project S 500 having full ABM capability, the 400 km missile comes with active seeker, so a good ballistic missile interceptor

It a very long range SAM and useless against pakistan since paki airspace is 300 km wide.
Deploying the S 400 near Rajasthan gives us air superiority over eastern Pakistan within a minutes

Against china who is also buying the S-400, how effective will this be????
I've no words.

+1

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Can anyone explain me how many missiles will be in 12 battalions?
And i'm adding S-400 infographic

Attachments

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
One system comes with 6-8 launchers, grave stone and big bird radar and low level surveillance radar as optional, one or two missile reloading vehicle, one or two missile carriers , power generators, survey vehicle, and command post.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The S400 system is supplied in units of entire divisions and not piecemeal.
The Chinese have bought six divisions with eight launchers each. The exact number of missiles varies according to the type of missiles chosen.

That said this is what wiki says
Only 1 system comprising up to eight divisions (battalions) can control up to 72 launchers, with a maximum of 384[42]missiles (including missiles with a range of less than 250 km)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The S400 system is supplied in units of entire divisions and not piecemeal.
The Chinese have bought six divisions with eight launchers each. The exact number of missiles varies according to the type of missiles chosen.

That said this is what wiki says
Report says we are looking at 12 systems which means 72x12=864 launchers and over 4000 missiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles