India pitches for BrahMos missile induction in Russian naval fleet

bhramos

Country flag
NEW DELHI: India on Tuesday asked Russia to start inducting the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles in its naval fleet to further strengthen the joint venture between the two countries.

The two sides had formed the joint venture to produce the supersonic cruise missiles in 1998 and since then, all three wings of the Indian armed forces have ordered BrahMos for their inventory but the Russian side is yet to do so.

In India, the Navy and the Army have already inducted the BrahMos missiles and work is on to develop an air-launched version of the missile to be equipped on the SU-30MKI aircraft.

During the visit of Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin to the BrahMos complex here, head of the Joint Venture A Sivathanu Pillai urged the visiting dignitary to ensure induction of the missile in Russian Navy, officials said here.

The Russian deputy prime minister was given a presentation about the missile's capabilities and recent achievements along with live demonstration of the mobile launcher.

Assuring his full support to the BrahMos CEO, Rogozin said, "BrahMos is not only a successful joint venture but also a model for cooperation which has immense political value for our two countries."

During the visit, Rogozin was also shown the development of the various variants of the missiles and the future plans of the joint venture company including a futuristic vision plan--2050.

Rogozin was accompanied by Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin, Head of United Aircraft Cooperation Pogosyn Mikhail and Head of Rosoboronexport Isykin Anatoli during the visit to the complex.

India pitches for BrahMos missile induction in Russian naval fleet - The Times of India

why is not Russia inducting Brahmos!!!!!!

p2prada

Speculating: They are capable of making the same missile with a much greater range. They don't need a missile capped at 290 km.
Except for the P-700, the rest of their fleet has 300Km missiles, same range as the Brahmos. Anything bigger would require heavier ships and subs because the P-700 is a 7 ton missile and I think only the Kirov class carries it.

Currently they don't have a requirement for Brahmos because they are not inducting new ships like we are. Their latest inductions will happen only in 2013 for the new Gorshkov class Frigates. The new ships will either be equipped with Brahmos or Klub depending on the budget. Klubs are cheaper but Brahmos is more capable. So, it will depend a lot on how we market it. Maybe a combination of both is in order.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Brahmos is in every sense a downgraded Yakhont, why would Russia choose it instead of Yakhont? I know the knowledgeable people on this forum would immediately start to lecture me on the 'great improvements' Brahmos has over Yakhont. Well, keep believing. But I do know for sure is that India is struggling with every other indigenous weapon project including some very basic stuff like SA-6 copies, thus it would be extremely unilkely that India has contributed anything meaningful other than greenbacks in the Brahmos project. And whatever Russia has learnt from the Brahmos project (financed by the ever-generus indians) they would have already incoporated in the Yakhont.

trackwhack

Brahmos is in every sense a downgraded Yakhont, why would Russia choose it instead of Yakhont? I know the knowledgeable people on this forum would immediately start to lecture me on the 'great improvements' Brahmos has over Yakhont. Well, keep believing. But I do know for sure is that India is struggling with every other indigenous weapon project including some very basic stuff like SA-6 copies, thus it would be extremely unilkely that India has contributed anything meaningful other than greenbacks in the Brahmos project. And whatever Russia has learnt from the Brahmos project (financed by the ever-generus indians) they would have already incoporated in the Yakhont.
Payload :
Bramhos = Yakhont = 300kg

Range
Bramhos = Yakhont = 300 KM

Speed
Bramhos > Yakhont = 2.8 Mach > 2.5 Mach

Guidance
No Information on which is superior but why dont you take a guess based on age?

Dimensions
Bramhos is shorter and narrower that the Yakhont

So, tell me again, In what sense is Yakhont superior to the Bramhos?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Russia To Take Delivery of BrahMos

NEW DELHI — Russia will begin taking delivery of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile being built in India as a joint Indo-Russian venture. The decision followed a July 17 meeting here between visiting Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogoz and Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Indian Defence Ministry sources said.

Russia To Take Delivery of BrahMos | Defense News | defensenews.com

p2prada

Brahmos is in every sense a downgraded Yakhont, why would Russia choose it instead of Yakhont?
Firstly Yakhont is the export name for the P-800 Oniks. Yakhont is an old thing now, it is like the F-16A/B compared to Brahmos which is like the F-16E/F. Big difference.

And whatever Russia has learnt from the Brahmos project (financed by the ever-generus indians) they would have already incoporated in the Yakhont.
Secondly, Russia cannot incorporate whatever they have learnt from the Brahmos because everything for the Brahmos is made here, except for the RAMJET engine and that will change soon. By this year, two companies in India will produce Brahmos's propulsion system. Seeker, guidance, navigation and fire control is all India's responsibility for manufacturing along with the firing mechanism. Russia won't be foolish to develop the same things again and incorporate it into the Oniks. That's plain Dumb and defeats the purpose of the JV.

Lastly, Yakhont is an AShM only and can be fired from ships while Brahmos can be used against any land or sea based target and can be fired from any platform be it land, sea, air or underwater.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If you dont have a clue, quite down..

Akim

Professional
Country flag
It would be desirable to believe, otherwise Rogozin so much army made lots of promises, that it look like a good fairy-tale.

pmaitra

Akim, do you think Ukraine will be interested in the BrahMos?

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Akim, do you think Ukraine will be interested in the BrahMos?
In Ukraine there are not such such big of aquatic spaces as in India or Russia. Although, anti - ship missile is needed. On the first 4 corvettes will put french Exocet, and a domestic anti - ship missile will cover coastal borders.
Simply Rogozin, much promises to his army. And new bomber of and battle platforms and new systems of weapon and digital radio contact et cetera. And nothing was yet done .
By me I think BrahMos - good missile, but intentions of Russia not always coincides with her actions.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Russia probably will buy 3 missiles, 1 goes to the naval museum, 1 gets donated to the indo-russian friendship counil, and 1 gets resold back to India.

This missile is for practical purposes 100% russian, india basically bought a lisence to use/produce it, why would Russia buy this one while domestic version with double the range can be had at half the (export to india) price? Maybe this also explains why SS-N-27 has been sold to a few countries whereas its twin, the Brahmos, has so far found no takers. Russia would not even allow this missile to be re-exported to a 3rd country, therefore buying some for herself sounds at this stage about as far-fetched as it gets.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
There is zil chance for Ukraine to buy Brahmos. Ukraine's arms industry is very much on par with Russia's, just smaller. And should the need for a super-sonic anti-ship missile ever arises, Ukraine could always get the more lethal original SS-N-27.

Even if Brahmos turns out to be half as good as the DRDO officials proclaim (over my near 15 year long observation of India's arms industry I've learnt to take any claim from the DRDO with a huge grain of salt), there are 2 unsurmountable obstacles that will prevent it from being ever exported:

(1) high-price since all components need to be outsourced from Russia.
(2) Russian denial, they want to sell their own SS-N-27 and keep 100% profit in house instead of perhaps only 90% (Brahmos)

Akim

Professional
Country flag
There is zil chance for Ukraine to buy Brahmos. Ukraine's arms industry is very much on par with Russia's, just smaller. And should the need for a super-sonic anti-ship missile ever arises, Ukraine could always get the more lethal original SS-N-27.

Even if Brahmos turns out to be half as good as the DRDO officials proclaim (over my near 15 year long observation of India's arms industry I've learnt to take any claim from the DRDO with a huge grain of salt), there are 2 unsurmountable obstacles that will prevent it from being ever exported:

(2) Russian denial, they want to sell their own SS-N-27 and keep 100% profit in house instead of perhaps only 90% (Brahmos)
There is the ASM in Ukraine. In a complex "Sapsan", depending on container there is possibility of firing or ASM or tactical missile. These mobile complexes will get up in a line-up in 2016. And Yahot or Brahmos for him does not suit. Distance is large and a complex often changes position and types of container . Those winged ASM is intended for setting on ships or stationary positions. And ASM complex "Sapsan", already through 15 minutes ready to starting from a new point.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
There is the ASM in Ukraine. In a complex "Sapsan", depending on container there is possibility of firing or ASM or tactical missile. These mobile complexes will get up in a line-up in 2016. And Yahot or Brahmos for him does not suit. Distance is large and a complex often changes position and types of container . Those winged ASM is intended for setting on ships or stationary positions. And ASM complex "Sapsan", already through 15 minutes ready to starting from a new point.
That Ukraine has a missile equal to or better than Brahmos, is hardly surprising. Thanks for the info!

Akim

Professional
Country flag
That Ukraine has a missile equal to or better than Brahmos, is hardly surprising. Thanks for the info!

I will not assert that this complex worse or better Brahmos . He appeared just because Ukraine does not have money. 15 years developed and tactical and ASM complexes separately, and then all combined. The new system turned out. Wanted yet a container with the zenithal missile of long-range to put, but at the end of that year Russia let to Ukraine independently to modernize and produce missiles for S- 300. For us it is talked the "Poor man is more inventive" (Голь на выдумку хитра- rus.)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Russia probably will buy 3 missiles, 1 goes to the naval museum, 1 gets donated to the indo-russian friendship counil, and 1 gets resold back to India. ( Flame )

Maybe this also explains why SS-N-27 has been sold to a few countries whereas its twin, the Brahmos, has so far found no takers. Russia would not even allow this missile to be re-exported to a 3rd country, therefore buying some for herself sounds at this stage about as far-fetched as it gets.
Even if Brahmos turns out to be half as good as the DRDO officials proclaim (over my near 15 year long observation of India's arms industry I've learnt to take any claim from the DRDO with a huge grain of salt)

Before spreading nonsense and trolling flaming, know what you talk about..

SS-N-27 is not even in class of PJ-10, Both are vastly different, SS-N-27 is of Klub class..

------------------------------

Your 15 years of Observation is actually few min here and there over net & It cost same for import duties either is from America..

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
And my friend from Cayman Island forget that nearly all PRC's "indigenous" weapon systems are total rip off's of Russian systems, so by his/her logic all are junk ... :rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles