India on human trafficking watchlist

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Indian on human trafficking watchlist
17 Jun 2009, 0958 hrs IST, IANS

WASHINGTON: Saying that New Delhi is not doing enough to curb human smuggling, the US has placed India on Tier 2 watch list of countries in a report on global trafficking released by US secretary of state Hillary Clinton.

"India is a source, destination, and transit country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of forced labour and commercial sexual exploitation," said the 2009 Trafficking in Persons Report released by Clinton on Tuesday.

Observing that in recent years, there has been an increase of sex trafficking to medium-sized cities and satellite towns of large cities, the report said India is also a destination for women and girls from Nepal and Bangladesh trafficked for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation.

There are also victims of labour trafficking among the thousands of Indians who migrate willingly every year to the Middle East, Europe, and the US for work as domestic servants and low-skilled labourers.

India does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking, the report said. However, it is making significant efforts to do so.

"Despite these significant efforts, India has not demonstrated sufficient progress in its law enforcement efforts to address human trafficking, particularly bonded labour," it said.

Indian on human trafficking watchlist - India - The Times of India

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
US report on anti-trafficking efforts 'distorted', says UAE
WAM
Published: June 16, 2009, 18:50

Abu Dhabi : The UAE on Tuesday described a US State Department report on the status of efforts to combat human trafficking in the country during the last year as disappointing and subjective.

Dr Anwar Mohammad Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs, said the Annual Report 2008 released earlier this month by the UAE National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking indicated that more than 20 cases of human trafficking were registered last year, compared to 10 cases in 2007.

"The UAE made significant progress in its efforts to fight this crime in 2008. In its last report, the US State Department identified the UAE as 'a model in the region'," Dr Gargash said.

"It is indeed disturbing to note that this year's report has failed to view our transparent efforts and results objectively," he added.

Dr Gargash, who is also the chairman of the committee to combat human trafficking, criticised the parameters applied to measuring human trafficking cases.

"It appears that the US definition of human trafficking varies every year, depending on the nature of debate on this issue in its domestic environment.

"It is incongruous to equate alleged labour rights violations, which are a critical but separate issue, to the coercive and unacceptable sexual exploitation of women for profit.

"This report lumps all these issues together in a manner that is generalised and unconstructive," Dr Gargash said.

"Shifting goalposts have unfortunately become a feature of these trafficking reports and they have thereby lost credibility as a constructive measuring tool of anti-trafficking efforts around the world," he said.

Citing one of the many inaccuracies, Dr Gargash questioned the veracity of the State Department report, which alleges that a member of the ruling family was arrested in a Belgian court on criminal charges, a claim the UAE refutes and describes as an unwarranted and appalling display of stereotyping Arabs and the Middle East.

"This accusation alone indicates that the US prefers to rely more on sensationalised media reports in compiling its report, rather than verify its facts." Dr Gargash said.

"The UAE monitors all international reports and assesses them objectively. It welcomes constructive criticism and help, but reserves the right to determine the agenda to tackle its problems in a manner that it deems appropriate. The fact that the report does not take into account the facts on the ground devalues and undermines how seriously it is taken," he said.

Gulfnews: US report on anti-trafficking efforts 'distorted', says UAE

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Are these reports having any political angle ?

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Could be, however the reality is the situation my city is very concerning.

And i think we should be the one concerened.
Indian on human trafficking watchlist
17 Jun 2009, 0958 hrs IST, IANS
"India is a source, destination, and transit country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of forced labour and commercial sexual exploitation," said the 2009 Trafficking in Persons Report released by Clinton on Tuesday.

Observing that in recent years, there has been an increase of sex trafficking to medium-sized cities and satellite towns of large cities, the report said India is also a destination for women and girls from Nepal and Bangladesh trafficked for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation.

There are also victims of labour trafficking among the thousands of Indians who migrate willingly every year to the Middle East, Europe, and the US for work as domestic servants and low-skilled labourers.

India does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking, the report said. However, it is making significant efforts to do so.

"Despite these significant efforts, India has not demonstrated sufficient progress in its law enforcement efforts to address human trafficking, particularly bonded labour," it said.

Indian on human trafficking watchlist - India - The Times of India
Everyone knows that this is going on, no one chooses to do anything about it.

Efforts in India translates into efforts on paper, does not really change a thing and the ignorance we show is mind numbing.

Right here in Delhi we will walk down that GB road, and refuse to look up at the prostitutes, a child could come running to us and ask for help and we would still keep on walking, we would see someone beating up their underage house help and increase the volume on our radio. I suppose its wrong to say we, at least I have done these things many times in my life, and till this ignorance stops, I fail to see how we will deal with these issues around us.

NikSha

Right here in Delhi we will walk down that GB road, and refuse to look up at the prostitutes, a child could come running to us and ask for help and we would still keep on walking, we would see someone beating up their underage house help and increase the volume on our radio. I suppose its wrong to say we, at least I have done these things many times in my life, and till this ignorance stops, I fail to see how we will deal with these issues around us.
You live near GB road or something? I mean I haven't seen stuff like that ever around my locality so you must be living in one hell of a place.

Also, an average person can do nothing about prostitutes or child beggars (we can get them locked up, will help keep the city clean..) so what else do you recommend most people do instead of just keep walking? And what in blue perfect hell has volume on the radio or beating up a servant got to do with human smuggling? Most people try to do something when they know what is wrong. Even my dad refuses to hire help in the office without them showing proper ID (showing they aren't underage) and registering them properly with Delhi Police (as the police has told but no one bothers to anyway).

An average person can't do much more than that. It's upto government to see what's happening around in LOC and nearby areas.

People also keep forgetting that India is progressing but we are still surrounded by countries living in some kind of stone age. We can try improving our life but people migrating from these places will keep pushing us back a year every now and then. Again it's upto government to control migration, illegal or legal.

BTW, do you know how many people come settle in Delhi every day from Mumbai to Bihar to improve their life adding to the chaos? You won't see any change anytime soon even in the most developed cities in the country.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sex slaves to receive more support in Australia

2009-06-17 05:22:12 GMT2009-06-17 13:22:12 (Beijing Time) xinhuanet

CANBERRA, June 17 (Xinhua) -- Under the changes announced by the Australian federal government on Wednesday, sex slaves and other victims of people trafficking will receive 45 days access toa specially designed support program, regardless of whether they help authorities.

Those who are willing to help police will be granted a bridging visa to enable them to get 90 days of support and assistance.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans said the changes, announced at the National Roundtable on People Trafficking in Canberra, were designed to "provide victims and their immediate family members with greater certainty about their immigration status".

A further 20 days of transitional support will also be available for victims to consider future options, including seeking legal advice and applying for a visa.

The government will also abolish temporary visas for victims under witness protection and speed up their permanent visa process.

Eligible family members will also be able to apply for visas to support victims in witness protection.

Sex Discrimination Commissioner Elizabeth Broderick said it was welcome relief for victims, who were often burdened with an uncertain visa status as well as the trauma they had suffered.

Advocate group Project Respect revealed up to 1,000 women were brought to Australia each year to work in the sex industry

Sex slaves to receive more support in Australia - World News - SINA English

After this support thing from Australian Government , these 1000 will increase to 5000.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
You live near GB road or something? I mean I haven't seen stuff like that ever around my locality so you must be living in one hell of a place.

Also, an average person can do nothing about prostitutes or child beggars (we can get them locked up, will help keep the city clean..) so what else do you recommend most people do instead of just keep walking? And what in blue perfect hell has volume on the radio or beating up a servant got to do with human smuggling? Most people try to do something when they know what is wrong. Even my dad refuses to hire help in the office without them showing proper ID (showing they aren't underage) and registering them properly with Delhi Police (as the police has told but no one bothers to anyway).

An average person can't do much more than that. It's upto government to see what's happening around in LOC and nearby areas.

People also keep forgetting that India is progressing but we are still surrounded by countries living in some kind of stone age. We can try improving our life but people migrating from these places will keep pushing us back a year every now and then. Again it's upto government to control migration, illegal or legal.

BTW, do you know how many people come settle in Delhi every day from Mumbai to Bihar to improve their life adding to the chaos? You won't see any change anytime soon even in the most developed cities in the country.
Used to go there for a completly different purpose, i suppose you are unaware of the huge market that exists on the ground floor (the prostitues live and workon the upper floor), you can buy everything from motors to explosives. And i am not against the prostitutes, i am against the conditions they are subjected to, and the dark side that exists in that place.

The human smuggling will go on as long as its accepted in the society, and we see this around with underaged workers who stay on as househelp with families in Delhi its a part of this traffiking.

Right here in delhi you could walk near a expensive residential area (Hauz Khas) and find many children working 12 hour days making cloths.

I have seen most people, we do nothing at all, its only the very few amognst us that do something.

There is a lot of traffiking going on inside india, forget about the neighbourhood, its not about immigration.

NikSha

Used to go there for a completly different purpose, i suppose you are unaware of the huge market that exists on the ground floor (the prostitues live and workon the upper floor), you can buy everything from motors to explosives. And i am not against the prostitutes, i am against the conditions they are subjected to, and the dark side that exists in that place.

The human smuggling will go on as long as its accepted in the society, and we see this around with underaged workers who stay on as househelp with families in Delhi its a part of this traffiking.

Right here in delhi you could walk near a expensive residential area (Hauz Khas) and find many children working 12 hour days making cloths.

I have seen most people, we do nothing at all, its only the very few amognst us that do something.

There is a lot of traffiking going on inside india, forget about the neighbourhood, its not about immigration.
Where is it accepted? In Delhi? Who's supporting and smuggling humans out in the open here if it's so acceptable? (no, people who are ignorant about child labour laws and smuggling at all don't count)

As for the children working 12 hr making cloths, would you rather have them out on the street begging or back in the home with abusive parents where they will probably get sold to someone cause the family couldn't afford food for them (HINT: Kids working is actually stopping trafficking, underage or not).

It's nice to whine and complain but it's harder to see what really is going on around you. You have absolutely NO solution at all to this problem, neither do I. But interference in those kids life even from people like you (who like to make noise on these subjects) will cost them a lot more than just freedom in the end.

So yeah, leave it to government to deal with at a snail pace. If you are so worried about them, donate to charity that helps such kids, go and spread education to them.. but you know as well as I do that most of us are only just going to complain about "oh how this country has this and this evil" while doing absolutely nothing about it. Everything I said is one way or another applied to those prostitutes as well.

So yeah, just look the other way and move on.

p2prada

Child labor is a necessary evil.

Women rights does not exist.

Slavery exists in every third world country.

Govt is inept in handling these problems and these problems are bound to exist for a long time. Messed up.

johnee

Its easy to say that 'people do nothing', but frankly there isnt much common people can do. As Nik said, its best to leave to Govt and let the system work out the solutions. The best that a person can do at individual level is to make sure that neither he nor his family is engaged in such activities that harm the society or country. That includes underage labour, prostitution, human trafficking......etc.
I am sure that most(infact all) ppl on this forum do nothing to support such activities. So, all that we can do sitting here is wait for Govt do 'something'.

johnee

Govt is inept in handling these problems and these problems are bound to exist for a long time. Messed up.
If you notice, child labour and women's right(and all such probs) are directly related to poverty. Only poor ppl have these probs. Rich women, today, have as many(if not more) rights compared to their male counterparts. Rich kids are a pampered lot.

The root of all the probs is poverty. And as long as our Govt is working on poverty alleivation, it can be assumed that it is working on solving all other probs.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Where is it accepted? In Delhi? Who's supporting and smuggling humans out in the open here if it's so acceptable? (no, people who are ignorant about child labour laws and smuggling at all don't count)
Well I see children working as house help all around me.

A lot of sexual exploitation of people goes on in a major market area in my city.

Why the people do not count? Is it unacceptable because it’s the ‘law’ or because we can feel that it is(unacceptable to us)?
As for the children working 12 hr making cloths, would you rather have them out on the street begging or back in the home with abusive parents where they will probably get sold to someone cause the family couldn't afford food for them (HINT: Kids working is actually stopping trafficking, underage or not).
Some are sold by their parents from poor parts of India to go work in such places, this is the trafficking we are talking about.

What would i rather have them do, i do not know, this however does not feel right to me, i have contributed my time and money to organizations working towards brining these issues out, somewhere along the way i just stopped could not see any difference from what i did, the same problem exists in such numbers, however the feeling i get is that the government works by pressure, and the only way to pressure them is through the election process, possibly a solution could be to bring these issues out in the open, have more discussions about them.

I suppose one of the problems is that this is a illegal activity, hence we have no way of controlling the conditions that the kids are subjected to.
It's nice to whine and complain but it's harder to see what really is going on around you. You have absolutely NO solution at all to this problem, neither do I. But interference in those kids life even from people like you (who like to make noise on these subjects) will cost them a lot more than just freedom in the end.
Listen, for starters, i am not making noise or whining or complaining, i am discussing this with you on a forum meant for discussion.

I have seen kids that have had their lives improved due to interference by organizations, both government and non profit ones, if they had more funds they could possibly do more about the situation.
So yeah, leave it to government to deal with at a snail pace. If you are so worried about them, donate to charity that helps such kids, go and spread education to them.. but you know as well as I do that most of us are only just going to complain about "oh how this country has this and this evil" while doing absolutely nothing about it. Everything I said is one way or another applied to those prostitutes as well.

So yeah, just look the other way and move on.
I do not think it’s about India, it’s about an issue in India, all nations have them, and we have to work towards improvement in all fields, this is just another one.

I am of the belief that we have some amount of reform going on in many branches of government, and if this becomes an issue that a government has to work on we could improve the situation many folds, for that however we need to find ways to address it in a way that can mobilize the people, make it an issue that people would care about.

Antimony

Necessary Evil????

Excuse me????

Why exactly is it necessary???:(:)(:)((

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
why only India negative posts IG?
Its News related to India and every Indian should ready to debate on positive and negative . Just go in another forum and see how many threads i have started about India .

Country flag
Its News related to India and every Indian should ready to debate on positive and negative . Just go in another forum and see how many threads i have started about India .
almost everything you have posted is off-topic and non military. It all belongs in the general talk section.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
almost everything you have posted is off-topic and non military.
Where are things off topic and non military ? I m just trying to cover News in this forum from all over the world .Current events and real news .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
‘Trafficking in women on the decline in West Bengal’

Special Correspondent

KOLKATA: West Bengal has been able to check trafficking in women and children in the State. The figure came down from 30,672 in 2006 (of whom 8,319 were brought back) to 9,786 in 2008.

Answering a question raised in the State Assembly on Thursday by Trinamool MLA Partha Chatterjee, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the House, Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said that many women have been traced out and brought back and arrests have been made to check the phenomenon.

He said several steps had been taken by the State Government to battle this scourge. “It is not possible to tackle this phenomenon only through enactment of new laws or through the police,” he added.

“Poverty, illiteracy, sex discrimination, dowry and early marriage all play a role in this,” he said.

The Chief Minister, however, agreed only partially to a comment made by Mr. Chatterjee that flesh trade had increased due to the closure of industrial units.

The Hindu : Other States / West Bengal News : ‘Trafficking in women on the decline in West Bengal’

State governments should implement more tougher rules on this human trafficking

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Nepal sets up rehab centres for trafficked women

Kathmandu, June 24: Nepal government has recently set up rehabilitation centres meant for trafficked women in different parts of the country.

Three centres have been established in Kathmandu, Sindhupalchowk, in the east of the capital and Kailali district in far-west, according to the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare.

Trafficked women, who were rescued, will be kept in these rehabilitation centres, according to Ritu Raj Bhandari, acting Secretary of Women's Commission.

Annually some 10,000 to 12,000 Nepalese girls from rural areas are allegedly being trafficked to India for the purpose of commercial sex.

Those who cannot return home after being rescued from brothels, can stay at the rehabilitation centre for six months and earn livelihood to support themselves.

The government has allocated Rs six million annually to run these centres besides, human trafficking task forces have been formed in the districts for their effective management

Nepal sets up rehab centres for trafficked women

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles