India Offers Lanka “Tejas” To Counter Pakistan’s JF-17: Report

Alien

India Offers Lanka “Tejas” To Counter Pakistan’s JF-17: Report

COLOMBO: India has offered to Sri Lanka its Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to counter Pakistan’s earlier bid to sell to the island nation its JF-17 fighters developed in collaboration with China, the Colombo-based Sunday Observer says.

Independent sources confirmed to Express that both Pakistan and India have made their respective offers in the light of the Sri Lanka Air Force’s bid to replace its ageing Israeli Kfirs and MIG 27s.

Websites say that the Pakistani offer of F-17s (a variant of the Chinese FC1-Xiaolong Fierce Dragon) has been there since 2013. Some even say that a squadron has been ordered and would join the SLAF fleet in 2017. But the SLAF has been stoutly denying any decision on the matter, and that any country, including India, has made an offer. But it is admitted that the air force is looking for replacements.

The Pakistani JF-17 Thunder is a lightweight, single-engine, multi-role combat aircraft developed jointly by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex and the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation of China. It is deployed for aerial reconnaissance, ground attack and aircraft interception. First inducted in 2010, the JF-17 is to become the backbone of the PAF, complementing the American F-16 Falcon whose performance it roughly matches.

As for India’s Tejas, it is still in the development stage though some planes of Tejas Mk1 have joined the IAF. Powered by the General Electric F404-GE-IN20 engine, with a limited 80-85 kN thrust that restricts its angle of attack and weapon-carrying capabilities, the LCA Mk 1 failed to meet the IAF's qualitative requirements (QRs), according to Jane’s Defense Weekly.

But Hindustan Aeronautic Ltd. (HAL) is developing the LCA Mk 1A, which it hopes to make till 2024. Thereafter, the LCA Mk 2, to be fitted with the more powerful F414 GE-INS6 engine generating 90-98 kN thrust, will go into production to meet the IAF's projected requirement of 120 to 140 LCAs, Jane’s says.

Colombo’s decision on what to buy and from where will depend on geo-political factors as well technical and financial considerations, Lankan experts say. The decision will also take into account the fact that there is no aerial threat and that the country is heavily indebted and cash strapped.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/wor...’s-JF-17-Report/2015/10/25/article3096831.ece

Neo

Why don't ypu donate them a few mk1 and call it an export success a la Dhurv. :rofl:

pmaitra

Why don't ypu donate them a few mk1 and call it an export success a la Dhurv. :rofl:
I don't think that is a bad idea, for one angle.

On the other hand, giving it to them for free might result in them not appreciating the worth of the LCA. I don't want anyone to overestimate the LCA, but it is also not fair to under-appreciate it. Let them pay for it. I would support a zero-profit price. I am not excited about giving a discounted price, and certainly not a donation. That is a no-no. :nono:

Alien

I don't think that is a bad idea, for one angle.

On the other hand, giving it to them for free might result in them not appreciating the worth of the LCA. I don't want anyone to overestimate the LCA, but it is also not fair to under-appreciate it. Let them pay for it. I would support a zero-profit price. I am not excited about giving a discounted price, and certainly not a donation. That is a no-no. :nono:
I agree!

However, LCAs are not completely inducted in IA and their production line is not through and we are offering them to Lanka?

Don't you think, this is just a rumor?

pmaitra

I agree!

However, LCAs are not completely inducted in IA and their production line is not through and we are offering them to Lanka?

Don't you think, this is just a rumor?
How can I tell for sure whether this is true or a rumour?

Now, I don't want undeserving people to get their hands on our machines and then blame us. That is my fear. For example, look at the Nepalese. They got our INSAS AR (not the LMG) in fully auto version, used it in fully auto in battles against the Maoists, thus overheating and jamming their rifles, which resulted in their defeat. Then, they started blaming us and the weapons. I don't want to see a repeat of this. If they pay the right price, they will treat it properly. If they get it for cheap, they will abuse it.

Neo

Sir it would be a political move if donation is made. No country would buy mk1 for money, specially not if better and cheaper alternatives are available.
It would certainly be a morale booster for the much criticized LCA and may even silence the anti LCA lobby within the IAF.

pmaitra

Sir it would be a political move if donation is made. No country would buy mk1 for money, specially not if better and cheaper alternatives are available.
It would certainly be a morale booster for the much criticized LCA and may even silence the anti LCA lobby within the IAF.
No cheaper alternative exists for the LCA Mark I. Anything that is cheaper will be 3rd generation. Sri Lanka can buy those if they want. They just won't get the LCA then.

I am not saying we should charge more than what is justified for LCA, but if they want the LCA, they won't be getting it for the price of a MiG-21. Not gonna happen.

Jagdish58

Just like you people call your missiles state of the art indigenised bulls eye tech ?? sorry that is not OK

here is the eye opener , green paint version of North Korean missiles

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
To export LCA you guys first have to serial produce it :-D

Reactions: Neo

DingDong

Country flag
I don't think that this is going to materialize. Even after start of serial production, HAL will have to meet the needs of the IAF first.

In my view the news is bogus.

apple

Surprised, or not, that the usual suspects aren't lecturing on about American "kill switches", or trade embargoes, in the engines of the "Indian made" Teja's

Blackwater

We can still able to donate but u can afford to donate even [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Illusive

Country flag
Is this news even credible, why would India offer SL Tejas when HAL needs to meet IAF requirements 1st.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Is this news even credible, why would India offer SL Tejas when HAL needs to meet IAF requirements 1st.
If GoI has brain it can adjust. May be IAF will be a little late getting all the birds, but the diplomatic implications, as well as export experience for HAL and focus on Tejas, will surpass however little delay IAF may face. Sri Lanka anyway cannot afford a large no. of birds at a time.

Illusive

Country flag
If GoI has brain it can adjust. May be IAF will be a little late getting all the birds, but the diplomatic implications, as well as export experience for HAL and focus on Tejas, will surpass however little delay IAF may face. Sri Lanka anyway cannot afford a large no. of birds at a time.
Ok, but news is as credible as the news of pak getting su35.

Neo

No cheaper alternative exists for the LCA Mark I. Anything that is cheaper will be 3rd generation. Sri Lanka can buy those if they want. They just won't get the LCA then.

I am not saying we should charge more than what is justified for LCA, but if they want the LCA, they won't be getting it for the price of a MiG-21. Not gonna happen.
53 known difficiencies of which 15 can not be solved. If that makes LCA a credible and potent 4th gen fighter than everything else is a better alternative.
JF-17 is a 4th gen fighter, the cheapest in its calss.

DingDong

Country flag
53 known difficiencies of which 15 can not be solved. If that makes LCA a credible and potent 4th gen fighter than everything else is a better alternative.
JF-17 is a 4th gen fighter, the cheapest in its calss.
If Tejas is good enough for the IAF then it will be an overkill for the SLAF. I fail to understand why would a dept-ridden Sri Lanka want to waste money on new war machines? Against who are these birds going to get used? India?

JF-17 is a poor-guy's fighter, "something better than nothing".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles