India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers

Austin

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers
"When you look at India's industrial policy, trade barriers, the rampant piracy, the tax discrimination and what appears to be an absolute disregard for our intellectual property rights, you realize that India is a country that is not willing to play by the rules right now," Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn said at a Congressional hearing.

"What's worse is that they're trying to gloss over this. And here's an example. Last week, the Indian ambassador sent a letter to my office defending their abusive practices that are killing jobs of millions of hardworking Americans," Blackburn said in reference to the letter sent by ambassador Nirupma Rao.

"India's principles set a disappointing example to the rest of the world. No country that calls itself a friend of the US would celebrate isolationism the way that India is doing," Blackburn said.

"We have overwhelming bipartisan agreement in Congress that India's government must reverse course or risk seriously threatening our bilateral relationship," said the Congresswoman from Tennessee during the Congressional hearing on "A Tangle of Trade Barriers: How India's Industrial Policy is Hurting US Companies".

The hearing was convened by the Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The letter written by the Indian Ambassador to Congressmen was also made part of the record of the Congressional hearing as part of India's position on the issues.

Expressing deep concern over the Indian policies related to the intellectual property rights, Congressman Leonard Lance from New Jersey said the United States must exhibit leadership in the area of protecting IP rights.

"Emerging companies that adopt the Indian model of intellectual property policymaking also pose a risk to United States companies. We must make it clear to all trading partners that these policies set a bad precedent and undermine our mutually beneficial trade agreements," he said.

Congressman Peter Olson from Texas expressed his anger over the recent Indian policies, which he said is badly hurting American companies and called for taking actions against New Delhi.

"Like all of you all, my blood boils when I hear that India is revoking and denying patents and granting compulsory licenses for cancer treatments or adopting local content requirements," he said.

"As a nation, we should handle India like my dad did when I was growing up and I made his blood boil: He put his arm around me and or pulled me where he would go, to make sure his fingers were resting firmly on my shoulder just to inflict some pain if I diverted from the course we would go down. That's what we should do with their government," Olson said.

ladder

Country flag
Is this the standard of Congressional hearing ?

I thought only in Indian parliamentary debate one can find some amount of absurdity.

How being a friend of USA you cannot have independent policy? what kind of analogy is that?

If Indian rules infringes IP rights of some US companies there is mechanism to address it, use them.

And, if your blood boils over it, then it's going to to give to hypertension but no solution.

And simply put, India is not USA's son of the later the father of India.
This message doesn't need to be delivered to you by your great-grandfather in your dreams.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
From the same hearing

US solar industry urges India to remove trade barriers

Seeking a sizeable pie in India's fast emerging solar energy market, the American solar industry has asked it to remove the trade barriers which discriminates against US solar exports.

Testifying before a Congressional committee, Solar Energy Industry Association vice president John Smirnow alleged that India's local content requirement "discriminates against US solar exports and, thereby, provides an unfair competitive advantage to India's domestic solar manufacturers."

With some of the best solar resources in the world and the cost of solar continuing to decline, India's solar sector is poised for explosive growth, providing an important export opportunity for US solar manufacturers, he told lawmakers.

However, India's growing use of an industrial policy which discriminates against US solar exports, thereby providing an unfair competitive advantage to India's domestic solar manufacturers, Smirnow said yesterday during the Congressional hearing on "A Tangle of Trade Barriers: How India's Industrial Policy is Hurting US Companies" convened by the Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

While local content requirements may provide some protection for domestic manufacturers, they also stifle innovation, limit a country's access to next-generation technologies and increase costs, not to mention the fact that local content requirements are explicitly prohibited by global trading rules, he explained.

"Returning to the specifics of India's solar industrial policy, the national solar mission is divided into three phases. Under the first traunch of phase one, India required that eligible products - projects based on crystalline silicon technology - that's the other half of the solar panel industry - versus thin film," he said.

"That is where the US has a technological advantage - in this first phase India required that one half meet a local content requirement for cells, and solar cells are the heart of a solar panel for this technology," Smirnow said.

"So while US companies could sell cells into India or they could sell modules but they weren't able to sell cells, US-origin panels were thus barred from competing. For the second traunch of phase one, India broadened this local content requirement to mandate that national solar mission products use only crystalline silicon cells and panels manufactured in India, a significant lost opportunity for US exports," he alleged.

Looking forward, the US solar industry is concerned that India will expand its local content requirement yet again to cover thin film technology, effectively targeting hundreds of millions of dollars of US exports. "Our only hope is that the US government's recent decision to initiate a WTO case against India will eventually cause India to reverse course," he said.

"The US-India dispute follows on the heels of a recent WTO finding that Ontario, Canada's local content requirement for solar goods, substantially similar to India's, violated Canada's WTO obligations. In response, Canada has indicated that the solar program will be brought into compliance with the WTO decision, which we presume means that Canada will remove the local content provision," he said.

Smirnow said India should follow Canada's lead and remove the local content provision from its national solar mission.

US solar industry urges India to remove trade barriers - The New Indian Express

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
how is it that china , not being a wto member gets away with much more than india

perhaps that's where we should focus for a solution ?

we might want to re- negotiatie certain aspects of our wto membership or "friendship " with the usa -

to put ourselves in chinas' more privileged position

drkrn

"As a nation, we should handle India like my dad did when I was growing up and I made his blood boil: He put his arm around me and or pulled me where he would go, to make sure his fingers were resting firmly on my shoulder just to inflict some pain if I diverted from the course we would go down. That's what we should do with their government," Olson said.

this is what happens to any nation that deals with usa.they don't discriminate between friends and foes all they need is to fill their stomach
once putin said that US is a hungry wolf which cares only about its hunger and nothing else

if the congress men really feels that india made any intellectual property rule/trade rule violation they could easily go to WTO for winning over the wrong decision,why to rant

WMD

"As a nation, we should handle India like my dad did when I was growing up and I made his blood boil: He put his arm around me and or pulled me where he would go, to make sure his fingers were resting firmly on my shoulder just to inflict some pain if I diverted from the course we would go down. That's what we should do with their government,"
These guys are raving lunatics. :tsk:

warriorextreme

Country flag
There are politicians like this in India too...we should not give importance to what she says...this is definitely not US Government's policy...yet we always have to be careful while dealing with cunning countries like USA and China..

t_co

All three raving on India are Republicans. Fact is we cannot let 300,000 Indians die because US courts finds an "isomer" to be a genuine innovation.
Remember the Trans-Pacific Partnership? That economic bloc the US is building to contain China and bully it into better behavior? Those 300,000 lives will be the price India pays to be a part of that club. Ain't life grand?

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
In the end India and USA will maintain a strong relationship no matter what some people in US say whatever against India.
:india: :usa:

Even people in India like the CPI(M) criticize US economic policy in India. This is known as Right to Freedom of Speech & Expression.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Remember the Trans-Pacific Partnership? That economic bloc the US is building to contain China and bully it into better behavior? Those 300,000 lives will be the price India pays to be a part of that club. Ain't life grand?
The ranting of the three Republican congressmen aside, Biden is coming next month to seal some economic deals with India. So....

t_co

The ranting of the three Republican congressmen aside, Biden is coming next month to seal some economic deals with India. So....
So MMS signs deals consigning India's generic drugmakers to the dustbin, as Biden's hands are completely tied by America's Pharma lobby (read: $3.6bn in pharma lobbying last year alone) and India's drugmakers have no equivalent lobbying machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if those pharma companies were "lobbying" the UPA or BJP to sell the TPP to India. Shackling India to their IP regime would mean tens of billions in profits over the next two decades - well worth any incremental expense on "governmental relations".

India is doing the right thing here, sticking it to the bullies of the global IP playground. Don't sell out.

Country flag
USA wants to control india's energy security once this is done india's economy will be in
Usa's control. Congress government will only oblige. Don't think this is true USA already
Controls it to an extent:

IPI pipeline is dead and so is the Bush nuclear deal. India has no access to central
Asian oil.

t_co

USA wants to control india's energy security once this is done india's economy will be in
Usa's control. Congress government will only oblige. Don't think this is true USA already
Controls it to an extent:

IPI pipeline is dead and so is the Bush nuclear deal. India has no access to central
Asian oil.
Remember that the US has an interest in tensions between India and Pakistan, just as they have an interest in tensions between China and Japan, Germany and the rest of the EU, and between the Muslim world and nearly everyone else.

Don't you find it slightly strange that the US has managed to build multiple monopolies on global education (the Ivy League), finance (NYC/London), international law and IP, media+internet (Google/Amazon/Apple/Facebook/Twitter) even though it's in another hemisphere from the vast majority of the G20?

Country flag
Remember that the US has an interest in tensions between India and Pakistan, just as they have an interest in tensions between China and Japan, Germany and the rest of the EU, and between the Muslim world and nearly everyone else.

Don't you find it slightly strange that the US has managed to build multiple monopolies on global education (the Ivy League), finance (NYC/London), international law and IP, media+internet (Google/Amazon/Apple/Facebook/Twitter) even though it's in another hemisphere from the vast majority of the G20?
Very interesting observation along with the fact that all major oil trade and currency are tied to the dollar
All major US trading partners with USA have to buy US debt so many factors have US remain a hyperpower
If anything happens to US atleast a dozen other countries will go down as well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles