India needs better laws to tackle riots and arson.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I am writing this article to create some awareness amongst people on how we can better handle situations of rioting and arson. We need to make sure we have enough deterrent in the form of well laid out laws and the implementation that people think twice before resorting to such methods.

I feel we have not done very good job to punish people who were involved in riots and even after 25 years people are still waiting for justice for 1984 riots, same might happen to Gujarat but due to lot of media focus it is slightly better then 1984. I was thinking about the brutality that people went through and how easily people get away without being unpunished.

Here is what I feel needs to be done, the laws needs to be changed such that riots can be made equivalent to terrorism minus few none applicable parts. It should also be made mandatory that all riot cases should be fast tracked and justice delivered within stipulated amount of time. There were about 5 bomb blasts that terrorist claimed were a revenge of Gujarat, a speedy justice to riots can help. I am not justifying terrorism as I do not believe any reason can justify that.

I also feel that arson committed by various political parties in the name of opposing something or the other should also be made accountable under this law. The politicians should pay for the damage done and culprits should be punished.

I also feel CBI should remove the clause where it needs government’s permission to file the charge-sheet. This clause of asking government is used by the governments as political tool. Mayawati, Shibu Soren and many others gave support to government, in return CBI not prosecuting them. The reason I put CBI’s functioning here is because often they are the ones that investigate such crimes and I do not want there hands tied while investigating.

I have tried to write a shot article, and have a message let me know if you agree with the message.

Pintu

A short article but really with most burning problems that prevalent today, in a short article the respected member raised some valid points where can lie the answer.

Regards

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
All of above can be taken care of with the existing laws. The problem creeps in at the level of implementation by the police owing to political/public pressure and corruption. The moment you remove the interference from the politicians you will see a sea change in handling such issues.

The need of the hour is complete autonomy for the police and central investigative agencies and reforms of the police departments across the country.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Riots will happen

Naxals will always be there.

Communities will rise in arms.

Nothing unusual in a multiracial, multi community, multi cultural and multi religion society!

Laws can't help.

Change of mindset might.

Possible?

natarajan

again there is some communal tension in ahmedabad so can anyone put it here

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Legislative pliability is not the biggest question in India. Laws can always be changed, reversed or amended. It is the implementation of laws that remains a problem.

The reason why many of these events escalate and go out of hand is because the police forces are either incompetent, overwhelmed, or in many cases complicit in the violence. Unless implementation of appropriate law and order is improved, there is no point in changing or bringing about new laws.

Flint

even its in Karnataka .. These problems normally occurs in BJP ruled states .
That is certainly not true. Communal violence has occured throughout India's history, and under all sorts of political parties and governments.

Gujarat didn't suddenly become communally sensitive when the BJP got elected. It has been having these riots, periodically, since Independence, and even before that.

natarajan

communal tension is mainly as all groups loosing tolerance and also other one is trying to take advantage of tolerance and ahimsa of other group as weakness

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
That is certainly not true. Communal violence has occured throughout India's history, and under all sorts of political parties and governments.

Gujarat didn't suddenly become communally sensitive when the BJP got elected. It has been having these riots, periodically, since Independence, and even before that.
I m talking about the recent ones . Gujarat ,Karnataka,Orissa(part of NDA) and Madhya Pradesh

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
communal tension is mainly as all groups loosing tolerance and also other one is trying to take advantage of tolerance and ahimsa of other group as weakness
So which group is following Ahimsa and which group is taking advantage of tolerance ?

natarajan

I-b,
it depends on situation :wink:
1.In gujarat ,just imagine a group of gundas(you know who are they) burned around 60 piligrims(women,children)alive taking advantage of people softness and tolerance but people there showed what will happen if they do mischief .so anyone who think of burning people alive will think twice
in some situation vice versa,it will be great if everyone throws their religion identity and projection of power
my opinion:
even gundas did this,they might have avoided this,then what is the difference between these gundas and civilian
:bye:

Antimony

So which group is following Ahimsa
The godless communists of Bengal :D

Seriously, as much as I hate the commies for their economic philosophy, I have to say that Bengal is miles ahead of the rest opf India in terms of social and religious tolerance.

The credit actually goes to the reformers of the 19th centiry, but the Left, with their strong focus on (faulty) ideology, have kept religious ideology at bay, at least for the majority community

Flint

^I'd say that Kerala is one of the few states which has not had any significant communal problems.

The communists of West Bengal pander to extremist muslims, just like BJP ruled states do for Hindus.

Kerala's communal harmony has more to do with its history than anything else. No (or very few) violent conquests took place in Kerala. There is no historical animosity between the two religions in that state.

Antimony

^I'd say that Kerala is one of the few states which has not had any significant communal problems.

The communists of West Bengal pander to extremist muslims, just like BJP ruled states do for Hindus.
Kerala's communal harmony has more to do with its history than anything else. No (or very few) violent conquests took place in Kerala. There is no historical animosity between the two religions in that state.
Which is why I specifically mentioned "majority community. Bengal has a far lower incidence of caste based discrimination, subjugation of women's rights and dowry compared to any other state I have seen, apart from the NE ones (really don;t know much about them).

Even within muslims, I would say muslims in Bengal are more moderate than their co-religionists from other states. A muslim commie in WB would identify more with a Hindu commie than a muslim from another state. That does not mean pandering is not there, just that it is there to a lesser extent

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I-b,
it depends on situation :wink:
1.In gujarat ,just imagine a group of gundas(you know who are they) burned around 60 piligrims(women,children)alive taking advantage of people softness and tolerance but people there showed what will happen if they do mischief .so anyone who think of burning people alive will think twice
in some situation vice versa,it will be great if everyone throws their religion identity and projection of power
my opinion:
even gundas did this,they might have avoided this,then what is the difference between these gundas and civilian
:bye:
Yes i m aware the events which have leaded to the Godhra rioting , But u r forgetting how some of the Piligrims misbehaved with a young girl just because of her religion which turned the whole atmosphere into violence. It was the total failure of the Government to protect innocent civilians and
Yes we have seen what those religious gundas always do with females and used rapes as their weapon be it in gujarat or Orissa .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

Education is the real reason for this success and next the finiancial position of the state and its people .

natarajan

Yes i m aware the events which have leaded to the Godhra rioting , But u r forgetting how some of the Piligrims misbehaved with a young girl just because of her religion which turned the whole atmosphere into violence. It was the total failure of the Government to protect innocent civilians and
Yes we have seen what those religious gundas always do with females and used rapes as their weapon be it in gujarat or Orissa .
this was just propaganda that some misbehaved and how can you term it in religious point of view,most of them are children,women so you justify if someone misbehave then burn the whole compartment?
there is no connection as gundas came from outside and attacked
it was preplanned and most cold murder in this century as hundreds of litres of petrol was purchased before the incident,you may say these with media report but i know what really happened
Am condemning the riots but you are justifying the killing of children,women with some base less allegation,remember eveteasing, misbehavior with women is because of human(gene) nature so there is nothing to mix religion here
note:there vice versa misbehavior with women of other religion so do you expect this kind of treatment in future ?

Flint

Its a chicken and egg argument, but I support the egg.

Long-term social stability and preservation of traditional culture is the reason behind its success in education, as well as the absence of communal tensions.

Education is the real reason for this success and next the finiancial position of the state and its people .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
this was just propaganda that some misbehaved and how can you term it in religious point of view,most of them are children,women so you justify if someone misbehave then burn the whole compartment??

This isnt any propaganda , Some kar sevaks did molested a girl just because of her religion , but here i m not justifying killing of any innocent civilians , so dont try to put words in my mouth , its you who is justifying the action of those who took law in thier hands and raped,killed ,murdered,burnt people just because of thier religion . these people have nothing to do with those involved in Godhra .

there is no connection as gundas came from outside and attacked
it was preplanned and most cold murder in this century as hundreds of litres of petrol was purchased before the incident,you may say these with media report but i know what really happened
Come from where ? It was the failure of the local government to protect the lives of the nationals of Gujarat . Blaming anyone doesnt changed the fact .

Am condemning the riots but you are justifying the killing of children,women with some base less allegation,remember eveteasing, misbehavior with women is because of human(gene) nature so there is nothing to mix religion here
note:there vice versa misbehavior with women of other religion so do you expect this kind of treatment in future

What a troll you are . its you who is making one group tolerant and other group untolerant and in this forgetting that both were Indian Nationals and innocents have lost thier lives . Instead of this , just try to say this , taht some kar sevaks indeed misbehaved and spoiled the name of Ram and some Muslims even spoiled the name of Rahman .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles