India may buy more T-90Ss from Russia

BangersAndMash

May 30 2011

India could sign a new contract with Russia for an additional batch of the T-90S tanks, UralVagonZavod Corporation Deputy CEO Vyacheslav Khalitov said.

"We don't rule out an additional contract for our tanks," Khalitov said at the MILEX-2011 international weapons and military exhibition in Minsk, Interfax reported. He didn't specify the timing or how many Russian tanks would India like to procure.

Working jointly with Rosoboronexport, UralVagonZavod has been successfully fulfilling earlier contracts for supplying and manufacturing the T-90Ss at India's Avadi plant under a license. "We have excellent relations with our Indian partners. Take for example the fact that ranking Indian officials have openly said that they would like to continue this project and sign a new contract with us," Khalitov pointed out.

He added that preparations for manufacturing Russian tanks in India under a license have been successfully completed. "We supply our knock-down kits there, and they assembly our machines," Khalitov added.

India manufactures some of T-90S components locally. "Local components production is accepted international practice," the Deputy CEO said. The Indian Army has around 700 T-90S tanks in its arsenal, and a contract for the supply of another 400 units is being fulfilled. Each tank costs approximately $3 million.

India may buy more T-90Ss from Russia | Russia & India Report

Country flag
I think at this point we have passed the Russians in numbers. Russians have 1300 we have 1100 plus this order which will be a few hundred more.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I am glad India is getting over a thousand tanks with French optics, but it would be even better to order more Arjun MkII.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Not going to happen! With Arjun transitioning to MK-2 it is very likely that numbers will capped at 700 and instead 400-500 Arjun MK-2s will be ordered. T-90s are no match to MK-1s, let alone MK-2. Furthermore, it is also likely that number of upgraded T-72s will be cut by half and space will be filled by more Arjun MK-2s.

JBH22

India doesn't have the money to maintain a two-tiered tank force so this effectively means the Arjun is dead or a clear example of Indian army top brass foolishness. Do the army guys intend to copy Soviet model of having T-80 and T-72 force WTF with em...

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I can't say if India has money or not to maintain two class of MBTs but Arjun is not dead for sure. No matter how bitter DGMF Bhardwaj speaks for Arjun fact remains he is not there forever. Soon ever growing favor for Arjun in Army will crossover everything(read corruption) and make its place. And one day it may even influence the design T-90 class FMBT bringing better economics into frame.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Question as of now is, Is Russia reliable ??? look what they did to navel exercise.

Blackwater

I think Morkel the german aunty is in India. India must look at leopard 2 tanks.

Country flag
We should have got Israelis to work with us on finishing Arjun then place this order for more T-90's.

Blackwater

We should have got Israelis to work with us on finishing Arjun then place this order for more T-90's.
agreed. But I think we should have both Arjun Israeli fitted and T-90. Both have there own characteristic

BangersAndMash

I suspect infrastructure plays a part in decision making!!!

PS - everyone must be busy watching Katrina Kaif :basanti:

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
LF, we don't need Israelis for much in Arjun MK-2, today CVRDE is capable of doing it alone and targeting 90% indigenisation. All DRDO needs is proactive ARMY for speedy completion.

I think Morkel the german aunty is in India. India must look at leopard 2 tanks
For what? Specifications of Arjun MK-2 and Leopard-2 are almost neck to neck.

Should grab the C1 Ariete off the Italians with transfer of tech and prod. It's a great, lightweight tank and much cheaper than the Leopard 2 and Abrams series. I read somewhere the survivability is twice that of a T-80 which the T-90 is similar to.
No no. If there is no extra T-90S on list then there are Arjuns, nothing comes in between.

san

T-90S is the downgraded version of T-90. Why we are buying more?

san

I suspect infrastructure plays a part in decision making!!!
Infrastructure is important but it shall not be roadblock for the modern equipment. We cannot win a war in 21st centuary with technology design in 70s. Basically T-90 is a 70s design T-72 with limited upgraded features. By the way, if PA had got the M1A1s, then nobody would have tought about infrastructure for inducting +50T tanks

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles