India may buy more T-90Ss from Russia

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
After producing the Arjun how much more difficult would it be to design and manufacture a 40tone tank like T-90!! Something is wrong in the way Airforce and Army look ahead in their weapons procurement. They want everything now and they cant order and weight.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
After producing the Arjun how much more difficult would it be to design and manufacture a 40tone tank like T-90!! Something is wrong in the way Airforce and Army look ahead in their weapons procurement. They want everything now and they cant order and weight.
makes sense, considering the threat from east and west; It seems like IA don't have patience to wait for a long time.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Why not invest in more attack helicopters instead?
They have different roles.

Helicopters are generally used in the anti-tank role while tanks are used to provide heavy support to infantry on the ground.

Of course, tanks can also be equipped with AT munitions, and helicopters can use anti-personnel munitions and ASMs, but you have to keep in mind the cost-effectiveness. In any army, it is important to have versatility (the ability to use a variety of weapon systems to achieve tasks) and flexibility (the ability of different weapon systems to be used in different scenarios).

P.S. I am talking in the context of a war against Pakistan on the plains of Punjab or the deserts of Rajasthan/Sindh. In mountainous areas like Kashmir, etc., helicopters are used differently and tanks are not used.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Helicopters are generally used in the anti-tank role while tanks are used to provide heavy support to infantry on the ground.
Nonsense... attack helicopters are called flying tanks for a reason. They engage the same targets as tanks, just from the air.

bhramos

Country flag

Of course, tanks can also be equipped with AT munitions, and helicopters can use anti-personnel munitions and ASMs, but you have to keep in mind the cost-effectiveness. In any army, it is important to have versatility (the ability to use a variety of weapon systems to achieve tasks) and flexibility (the ability of different weapon systems to be used in different scenarios).

P.S. I am talking in the context of a war against Pakistan on the plains of Punjab or the deserts of Rajasthan/Sindh. In mountainous areas like Kashmir, etc., helicopters are used differently and tanks are not used.
IA have decided Arjun's Un-Fit for Punjab and Mountain's region........
with little Modifications of Infrastructure T-90's can be used in Punjab and Kashmir..
i remembered T-72 regiment once deployed in Kargil or Siachien by Il-76 Gajraj until late 1990's and same can be deployed T-90's.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
how many forum members would like to go into a battle sitting in Arjun?

and how many in T90?

bhramos

Country flag
me Arjun,
as it is more comfortable then T-90....

pmaitra

and how many in T90?
You need to provide more parameters before I can decide.

• If the opponent is defending and I have to break their ranks, I will use T-90.
  • If we are defending, then I would go with Arjun.

These two tanks have their own strengths and weaknesses. They complement each other pretty well.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
could we have ONE choice only, please!

place your life on one tank, which you are given to defend your country and attack your enemy.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why not invest in more attack helicopters instead?
Attack helicopters can't invade and hold enemy territory, for this requirement MBTs will always be required. MBTs and attack helicopters are more like complementary than replacement.

On side note, Army's strike core has placed order for +110 LCHs in addition to ~50 WSI Dhruv.

and how many in T90?
Arjun for superior firepower, protection, high tech, mobility, comfort and simple fact that Arjun type MBT is still undefeated to T-class since WW-2. And even first and only defeat in WW-2 is attributed to defunct supply line.

Last edited:

p2prada

Its $3million excluding the French and Indian components.......
The $3million is including the French and Indian components. As 0f 2002, the T-90 cost was actually $2.5Million including the Catherine and the Indian radios.

and how many in T90?
The T-90 any day of the week. It has a superior gun, superior armour protection and it's low profile keeps me better protected. The T-90 also fires bigger shells with a larger amount of blasting charge at higher muzzle velocities. The Arjun's with a single composite armour is weaker than the T-90 with it's two tiered armour.

Soviet tank doctrine FTW!

Once we have the Swedish LEDS-150 or even the Israeli Trophy, we will have a great tank in the T-90. The T-90 also is modified to fire the new long rounds from Russia like the 3BM-42M and the 3BM-46M. These were in existence since the late 90s, so there could be new rounds made which may already be available to India.

JBH22

Attack helicopters can't invade and hold enemy territory, for this requirement MBTs will always be required. MBTs and attack helicopters are more like complementary than replacement.

On side note, Army's strike core has placed order for +110 LCHs in addition to ~50 WSI Dhruv.
Both hardware complement each other

Arjun for superior firepower, protection, high tech, mobility, comfort and simple fact that Arjun type MBT is still undefeated to T-class since WW-2. And even first and only defeat in WW-2 is attributed to defunct supply line.
Arjun type MBT?? do you mean Abrams or Challenger if that's the case then you know that these tanks remained undefeated largely due to air superiority, they face downgraded,under trained tank crew.

Note that a single RPG-29 punch a big hole in the Challenger

The only problem with T-90 i think there should be an air condition in that it must feel terrible to be in that in Thar desert

Last edited:

pmaitra

could we have ONE choice only, please!

place your life on one tank, which you are given to defend your country and attack your enemy.
Sir, I humbly differ. It is not possible to have one choice simply because the two tanks differ in their functionalities.

Let's take your statement and say you are referring to defense, then it is Arjun, but if it is to attack, then I will go with T-90, as I said earlier.

So there goes the caveat.

Now, say I am told that I will have to defend a place and then go on to attack another place and will not be allowed to change tanks in between; I would choose T-90, because it gives me the advantage of low silhouette and scooting around while defending a location.

P.S.: I would second p2prada in his post.

Last edited:

Sikh_warrior

Professional
the discussions clearly says what IA should have both the tanks for the individual role they play best.

like JBH22 says....both complement each other.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Both hardware complement each other
This is exactly what i had written

Arjun type MBT?? do you mean Abrams or Challenger if that's the case then you know that these tanks remained undefeated largely due to air superiority, they face downgraded,under trained tank crew.

Note that a single RPG-29 punch a big hole in the Challenger

The only problem with T-90 i think there should be an air condition in that it must feel terrible to be in that in Thar desert
Yes i meant exactly that. Well, you can attribute 'defeat' to many factors but fact remains T tanks so far have drawn 'nil' in any war since WW-2 and it speaks in itself much, if not all. Moreover, recently during war on Georgia one or some russian T-90s were destroyed just like anything(check photo below). Ok, i am not saying Arjun can not be destroyed. But with thicker composite armour + reactive armour tiles (in MK-2 and will cover entire tank including top) + APS(in MK-2) + APU + blow away ammunition storage, Arjun stands more chance to survive than T-90. Besides, with kill on move and high kill percentage, Arjun 'shoots to kill' and 'runs to evade' and give no chance to MBTs like T-90S to fire back.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles