India joins ballistic missile proliferation regime HCoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...eration-regime-hague-code-of-conduct-2831569/

INDIA ON Thursday joined a global ballistic missile proliferation regime but made it clear that it will not have any impact on the national security as well as country’s missile programmes. MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup said,”India has joined the Hague Code of Conduct (HCoC) against Ballistic Missile Proliferation by notifying the HCoC Central Contact in Vienna through diplomatic channels.”

The HCoC is a voluntary, legally non-binding international confidence building and transparency measure that seeks to prevent the proliferation of ballistic missiles that are capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.

When asked if India’s joining HCoC will effectively mean that country has to shelve its Agni missile programme, he said, “Our national security interest will not be impacted in any manner, whatsoever, by joining HCoC.”

He also said, “India’s joining the Code signals our readiness to further strengthen global non-proliferation objectives.”

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/in...code-of-conduct-2831569/#sthash.ETpmsXO9.dpuf

Country flag
I don't know if this will have any significance against a enemy who's whole strategic program was acquired thru proliferation

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I don't know if this will have any significance against a enemy who's whole strategic program was acquired thru proliferation
I don't think this is aimed at that. This move must be for strengthening the case of India for NSG membership. To show that India is ready to take a step towards controlled environment. And it doesn't matter much as it is not legally binding.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I think we should also re-consider ( i saod RE-CONSIDER ) carefully whether we can indeed afford to sign the NPT and CTBT

these days the competition is economic and defence focus is on other matters eg laser weapons, space based weapons , neutron and other atomic particle research etc etc, so may be a good image idea to sign and get unquestionable access to many national groupings .

with provisos for exceptions in the case of special events and developments in china and pakland
( wanted to originally add in but was reminded by post from @Kshatriya87 -.. thanks bro ! )

@PrashantAzazel
@angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10
@aditya g @asianobserve @Bahamut @BATTLE FIELD @bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood @Blackwater @Blood+ @bhai-117 @Bangalorean @bengalraider @Bengal_Tiger @biswas_k11
@cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian @DingDong @dhananjay1 @ersakthivel @FRYCRY @Gessler @garg_bharat @guru-dutt @Hari Sud @hit&run @HeinzGud @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince @Kshatriya87 @LETHALFORCE @laughingbuddha @mhk99
@MetsaMan @Mark Antony @manutdfan
@maomao @Navneet Kundu @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @parijataka @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy @Razor @Rashna @rock127 @R.parida @shade @sasum @smestarz
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg @sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @Superdefender @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @Screambowl @Sylex21 @Tactical Frog @TejasMK3 @The enlightened @tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @VIP @VaghaDeva @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf @Yumdoot @Zebra

Last edited:
Country flag
IMO we are not prepared to sign most of these major treaties.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Its not abut signing NPT. If at all India decides to sign, it should be a conditional NPT wherein you are free to escalate depending on enemy activities.

As I said earlier, this move is to strengthen our case towards NSG membership which is good. And as HCoC is not legally binding, we can revert anytime we want.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
India is neither in Europe nor in north America. The neighbours of India are hostile and nuclear weapon state. The trust factor is less.

The day India signs NPT, India will lose it's influence in the world. And CTBT is something which gives India to test the weapon not to show power but for experimental use. Not just on earth but also in space.

The norms in NPT is set by 5 powers as per their interest and India was no then the part of decision making body either which is UNSC.

If similar powers and freedom are given to India just like what @Kshatriya87 quoted, then India may sign it.

India is non declared nuclear weapon state and not a banana republic. So one has to consider India's stand too.

sorcerer

Country flag
I think we should also re-consider ( i saod RE-CONSIDER ) carefully whether we can indeed afford to sign the NPT and CTBT

these days the competition is economic and defence focus is on other matters eg laser weapons, space based weapons , neutron and other atomic particle research etc etc, so may be a good image idea to sign and get unquestionable access to many national groupings .

with provisos for exceptions in the case of special events and developments in china and pakland
( wanted to originally add in but was reminded by post from @Kshatriya87 -.. thanks bro ! )
Life finds a way!!!! -
Most nations have shown middle finger to these treaties when it got really really upset.
china has treaties in place but has no intention of exchanging nuke stuffs to terrorist state of pakistan.
When you are "relevant" in a global equation...your conditions become relevant for major treaties.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Any government which signs NPT and CTBT in India will fall. That is too high a price to pay. On the other hand Chinese will not relent on their stand for India's entry to NSG.

Alternatively, block China trade expansion with India. They are after trade. In the long run they will loose more by supporting Pakistan.

This double whammy from US wishing their manufacturing jobs back and India blocking trade will be too much for Chinese economy to take. Only then they will be happy to support India's entry to NSG. But this is two to three years away.

WolfPack86

Country flag
WASHINGTON: India is likely to enter the missile technology control (MTCR) regime this week, a move that will boost the country's efforts to purchase Predator drones from the US and export its high-tech missiles to friendly nations.
An announcement in this regard is anticipated as early as this week, possibly during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to the US at the invitation of US President Barack Obama , sources tracking the development told PTI.
The major breakthrough comes days after India announced that it is subscribing to 'The Hague Code of Conduct' against Ballistic Missile Proliferation, which is considered to be complementary to the missile technology control regime (MTCR).
India, had applied for its membership last year.
But it was facing strong opposition from a few member countries of the MTCR where decisions are based on consensus. The Obama administration has strongly backed India's membership into MTCR and three other export control regime -- Australia Group, Nuclear Suppliers Group and the Wassenaar Arrangement.
Established in April 1987, the voluntary MTCR aims to limit the spread of ballistic missiles and other unmanned delivery systems that could be used for chemical, biological, and nuclear attacks.
The MTCR regime urges its 34 members, which include most of the world's key missile manufacturers, to restrict their exports of missiles and related technologies capable of carrying a 500-kilogram payload at least 300 kilometers or delivering any type of weapon of mass destruction.
Since 2008 India has been one of the five countries that are Unilateral Adherents to MTCR.
After MTCR's announcement, India and the US are expected to fast-track their discussion on sale of predator series of unmanned aircraft for the Indian military.

General Atomics Predator UAV
"Yes, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc is aware of India's interest in Predator®-series Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA)," Vivek Lall, Chief Executive of the US and International Strategic Development of 'General Atomics', the largest privately-held American defence company which designs and manufactures Predator drones, had told PTI last year.
The Predator drone, which recently eliminated the Taliban leader in Afghanistan, is the preferred tool of the CIA.
Membership into MTCR is a huge boost for India's ability to procure this capability.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/06/india-likely-to-enter-missile.html

no smoking

Country flag
Alternatively, block China trade expansion with India. They are after trade. In the long run they will loose more by supporting Pakistan.
Our Indian friends always forget one thing: the only reason they are buying from China is that Chinese offers the best deal they can get. Blocking importation from China doesn't hurt Chinese, but India.

This double whammy from US wishing their manufacturing jobs back and India blocking trade will be too much for Chinese economy to take. Only then they will be happy to support India's entry to NSG. But this is two to three years away.
South Eastern Asians will laugh their ass off if their No.1 competitor is going to start a trade war against world No.1 trading power.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
After entering into MTCR, India is free to export Brahmos missile & purchase Predator drone
I don't think MTCR membership is needed to export Brahmos. Its only for UAVs in our case. That too of certain specifications and capabilities.

Brahmos's limit of 290 km is a mandatory limit made by Russia a MTCR member because India is a non-member of MTCR and under MTCR rules missiles with range greater than 300 kms cannot be developed under joint venture or exported by MTCR members along with payload capability not more than 500 Kgs. So being a non-MTCR member is not the hurdle for selling Brahmos. It is just the arms embargo that has been lifted only recently made us to not consider Vietnam as a potential customer.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
So we could now buy Predator-C drones??
Yeah... Indian army, air force and navy want drones by General atomics from a long time. Once we become a member of MTCR, a govt-to-govt deal may happen in case of urgent requirements.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Yeah... Indian army, air force and navy want drones by General atomics from a long time. Once we become a member of MTCR, a govt-to-govt deal may happen in case of urgent requirements.

What's the export price of Predators? Also, are we planing to buy hellfires with it?

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
What's the export price of Predators? Also, are we planing to buy hellfires with it?
A single unit costs 4+ million USD. If we were to use predators, then Hellfires are a mandate I think. The combination is proven. But it is all words in the air. Nothing can be established until an official word is out.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
A single unit costs 4+ million USD. If we were to use predators, then Hellfires are a mandate I think. The combination is proven. But it is all words in the air. Nothing can be established until an official word is out.

I don't think its that easy. Predators is one thing, hellfire missiles is completely another. I don't think they will come as a package. Maybe separate deals will have to be negotiated for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles