India In Talks To Buy US Predator Drones

Dessert Storm

Country flag
It's a shame that we are about to pay 3 billion dollars for 30 drones . I don't support it but then reality is we don't have any experience with combat drones and thus we don't have any established SOP for long range combat drones.

So it can be argued we are paying 3 billion dollars for the same ie training ,operating and tactics know how which will be provided , which will help us to establish and build one the current nil operational capabilities at par with NATO standards. Plus DRDO will get its hands on the UAVs , it's documentation and manuals etc which will help them to realise the operational parameters as well as the technologies needed to develop own combat UAV in the same class.
I would support it for the following reasons:
1. Interoperability with our own American origin platforms and Quad assets in IOR.
2. Would rather have a surveillance drone shot down as compared to a fighter jet on recon sortie. Even though the fighter may be cheaper and pilot safe, shooting a drone dosen't ring 'that' sort of bell.
3. As mentioned by you... tactics etc.
4. Again as mentioned by you regarding DRDO. Experiencing the tech first hand opens up the thought envelope.
5. Would be extremely helpful in surveilling Malacca. Navy infact wanted it the most.
6. It's the armed version so hey.....
7. General Atomics might give inputs on Indian UCAVs/UAVs as part of the deal.

The Maverick

Country flag
We are only buying 6 in a emergency purchase which will cost about $600-million

The remaing order for 24 is a commitment to buy IF he indian military feel the drones enhance our combat capabillity worthy of spending $2,5 billion OR we opt for indengious or cheaper Israeli models in small numbers

I DONT SEE INDIA PAYING or HAVING $3 BiLLION SPARE for drones in one go.

Dessert Storm

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles